Samsung is no stranger to taking the cameras seriously in their devices. The Galaxy S4, Note 3 and Galaxy S5 have arguably the best cameras on any Android device ever released. According to a report out of the highly reliable SamMobile, the Galaxy Note 4 will be a monster in the camera department as well.
On the hardware side, SamMobile is saying the Note 4 will come with a 16-megapixel Sony IMX240 sensor with optical image stabilization (OIS), support for shooting UHD (3840×2160) video at 30 FPS and a 3.7-megapixel front-facing camera sensor, capable of capturing images and videos in WQHD (2560×1440) resolution. There is also a new hardware feature coming called Side Touch that allows you to capture images by touching the bezel of the Note 4 where a physical camera button would normally reside.
Based on the hardware alone, we’d surmise the Galaxy Note 4 will have a top of the line camera capable of competing with any high-end smartphone available today. But Samsung being Samsung, there are a million software features to back that hardware up. You’ll find the full list of resolutions the Note 4 is capable of shooting in as well as the camera modes and features below, but of particular note is a new way to access the camera via a two finger tap and slide from the homescreen, a wide angle selfie mode and a handful of features coming over from the S5, like Live HDR and Fast Auto-Focus.
We’ll wait until we see the final product before giving the final word, but we’d be very surprised if the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 didn’t come with one of the best cameras of the year.
• 16MP (5312×2988 | 16:9)
• 12MP (3984×2988 | 4:3)
• 9MP (2976×2976 | 1:1)
• 8MP (3264×2448 | 4:3)
• 6MP (3264×1836 | 16:9)
• 2.4MP (2048×1152 | 16:9)
• UHD (3840×2160 | 16:9 | 30FPS)
• WQHD (2560×1440 | 16:9 | 30FPS)
• Full HD (1920×1080 | 16:9 | 30/60FPS)
• HD (1280×720 | 16:9 | 15/30/120FPS)
• VGA (640×480 | 4:3 | 30FPS)
• Wide Selfie: Take wide-angle selfie shots to fit more people into your pictures.
• Selfie: Take selfies easily by smiling or winking without the need to reach for the camera button.
• Selfie Alarm: The rear camera will automatically detect and focus on your face when you take self-portrait pictures.
• Create A GIF File: Create animated images by taking pictures continuously.
• Beauty Face: Take flawless portrait pictures with an airbrushed effect.
• Shot & More: Explore the various effects available for burst shots.
• Sound & Shot: Enrich your pictures by adding a few seconds of background sound.
• Best photo: Select the best from a series of pictures.
• Best face: Select the best picture of each person from a series of pictures.
• Drama: Take a series of pictures of a moving object, then merge them.
• Eraser: Erase unwanted moving objects from your picture.
• Panning shot: Capture a sense of motion when taking pictures of moving objects.
• Dual Camera: You can take pictures and record videos using the front and rear cameras at the same time.
• Animated Photo: Create a picture containing selected moving objects by animating certain parts of the picture.
Grey-scale, Sepia, Negative, Emboss, Outline, Watercolour, Monochrome, Sketch, Washed Out, Posterise, Solarise, Vintage, Cold Vintage, Warm Vintage, Blue, Green Point, Red/Yellow, Nostalgia, Faded Colour, Retro, Sunshine, Old Photo, Cartoon, Oil Pastel, Moody, Engraving, Vignette, Rugged, Tint, Turquoise, Fisheye, Noir Note and Vincent.