Aug 22 AT 12:19 PM Alex Wagner 10 Comments

Samsung teases Galaxy Note 4 with handwriting-focused video

samsungreadytonoteaam

Just in case you aren’t already excited for Samsung’s September 3 event at which it’s expected that we’ll see the Galaxy Note 4, the company today posted a video teaser to try and get you more hyped up.

A video titled “[Ready to Note?] Your Note for Handwriting” has been posted to Samsung Mobile’s official YouTube account. The clip highlights all of the benefits of writing stuff by hand rather than typing it out and then shows people jotting things down on their Galaxy Note smartphones using the S Pen stylus. At the end of the teaser, Samsung asks if we’re “Ready to Note?” and shows the September 3 date on which its event is taking place.

Handwriting and the S Pen have been major selling points of just about every Galaxy Note product to date, so it’s no surprise that Samsung will focus on those features with the Note 4. The question is, what kinds of goodies does Sammy have up its sleeve for its next Note? Thankfully we’ve only got a couple more weeks to wait before the answer to that question will be revealed.

How often do you Galaxy Note owners use the handwriting support on your devices?

Source: Samsung Mobile (YouTube)

Editorial Director of News and Content for PhoneDog Media. Fluent in whisk(e)y, video games and phones. Can be followed on Twitter at @alw.

• Canuckle215

Funny enough, when I bought my Note 2, and then got the Note 3, I had to remember to use the stylus. Everything I do is typed. OneNote, Keep, texts, comments on websites…

I only ever used it for the occasional note for someones name and number.

Note 4…while anticipating it, can’t really see a need for it.

• Bart

Child to parent: “But mommy, Samsung said i could write on the couch.”

When I want to convert my handwriting to typed notes, I always use Google Keep. If I am just jotting quick, temporary memo, I use Action Memo. But in both cases, I use the stylus because it is more accurate than using my finger.

I think I’ll wait for the Note5. Hopefully by then it will be a scroll or folding device. Samsung is just stringing the consumer along by implementing incremental advances. I’m actually sorry I got rid of the Note2 in favor of the Note3.

• Matt

I’m one of those people who would carry a notebook (you know, the real kind – Moleskine one at that) with me all the time for making notes about to-dos etc. Moving over to Note 3, I was a bit skeptical if I would use the stylus as easily or frequently. I’m happy to say that the pen interface is great and there is no lag in writing, feel etc. The fact of the matter is that I’m so happy with Note 3, that I’m actually not interested in Note 4 unless it does something amazing that 3 does not do. Like Bart, I’m inclined to wait till Note 5 as well.

My one small complaint is that on undocking the stylus, I want the SNote to come up and not the action memo, but there seems to be no easy way of doing so and no good third party app to handle this use case.

• BlazeHN

• Ferguson, MO survivor

913114 what does this mean

• debra

Use my s pen all the time. Will keep my note 3 and wait for note 5.

• Brian

I use my stylus all the time. To do list, grocery list or jotting down a number. I use it to take notes in church and meetings which surprisingly is really easy to use.👍 I haven’t mastered the ability to write in a straight line.👎😩 Has anyone else? I do intend to upgrade to the Note 4 since I am on the jump plan with T-Mobile.

• AJ Walker

I use it a lot on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 but rarely when I had my Note 2. So much so that I went with an LG when it was time for a new phone. Why pay a premium for something that I wasn’t using?

It was so much easier to simply use the keyboard on a device that small for entry into Google Keep. Now, if Google would tip their hat to Samsung and allow Keep to be ink/handwriting aware, then I’d switch back to the Note in a heartbeat.

And that was a really nice commercial for the Note 4, especially all of the factoids about the importance of handwriting.

• Robaireto

No front speaker, no more Samsung phones

• Louis Sun

I love to use the stylus to input Chinese characters. It is so much better than using my finger. It is also the better way than any other method for me. I shall never consider any other device without a stylus.

1. Canuckle215Guest 9 months ago

I only ever used it for the occasional note for someones name and number.

Note 4…while anticipating it, can’t really see a need for it.

2. Child to parent: “But mommy, Samsung said i could write on the couch.”

3. MattGuest 9 months ago

4. Damn, I hate that “boop” sound on my Note 3, looks like is comming back on the Note 4. Is there any way to change it?

5. Ferguson, MO survivorGuest 9 months ago

913114 what does this mean

6. debraGuest 9 months ago

Use my s pen all the time. Will keep my note 3 and wait for note 5.

7. BrianGuest 9 months ago