The Samsung Galaxy S5 is by far the best selling Android smartphone of 2014. It sports an amazing spec sheet, Samsung’s TouchWiz UI is a lot better than it has been in the past and its camera is pretty amazing. The Galaxy S5 also has a heart rate monitor and fingerprint scanner, but let’s be honest: those are two features that you rarely use.
If you’ve purchased the Samsung Galaxy S5 through your service provider, the phone most likely has a locked SIM slot that won’t allow you to use the it if you switch service. Fortunately, there are a few ways you can get the SIM unlock code for your Galaxy S5. Third-party services like Android SIM Unlock can find a Galaxy S5 unlock code for a fee, but we always recommend calling your service provider and simply asking them for it.
Before handing over the SIM unlock code for your Galaxy S5, your service provider may require that the phone be paid in full or that you’re at least 18 months into your 2-year contract, but you can often talk your way around the requirements if you have a compelling story. You can find a full list of your service provider’s SIM unlocking requirements on their website or by calling their customer service line.
Request your Samsung Galaxy S5 SIM unlock code from your service provider
- Locate your handset IMEI number by dialing #06# or go to Settings > More > About device > Status
- Write down your IMEI number
- Call your service provider’s customer service line and ask for the SIM unlock code for your Samsung Galaxy S5
- Provide your Galaxy S5 IMEI number to process the unlock code request
- Your service provider will email you the SIM unlock code for your phone in 1-3 days
SIM unlock your Samsung Galaxy S5
- Remove the back panel from your phone
- Remove the battery to access the microSIM card slot
- Replace your microSIM card with one from another service provider
- When prompted, enter the unlock code that you received from your service provider
- Enjoy your SIM-unlocked Galaxy S5 on any GSM network!
If you know any other options to SIM unlock the Samsung Galaxy S5 for free, feel free to share it with us in the comments.