Google has release a handful of new features to Hangouts, improving video quality and tweaking the UI for an overall cleaner experience. The updates are baked into an updated version of the Hangouts Android app and the desktop browser experience. The main UI of the app hasn’t really changed, but Google has made a few tweaks that clean up the on-screen controls during video calls.
The update to the browser-based version is slowly being rolled out to small groups of users, but Google is planning to make it widely available in the near future. If you happen to be included in the initial rollout and don’t really want to deal with the new changes, you can go to http://g.co/hangouts or select “Original version” from the menu in the top right corner.
Let us know if you see any significant performance improvements the next time you use Hangouts.
Android app updates
- Create group MMS messages for Google Voice
- Landscape support for contacts list and compose screens on all devices
- New Google Hangouts welcome screen
- Performance improvements including better stability, latency and call quality
Desktop Browser updates
- Calls that start faster and stay crisper, with higher quality video
- A more streamlined and immersive full-screen interface
- A simpler way to invite friends and family to your calls