UPDATE: Samsung gave the following response to USA Today regarding the reports of Galaxy Note 7 battery explosions: “In response to questions on Galaxy Note7, we are conducting a thorough inspection. We will share the findings as soon as possible. Samsung is fully committed to providing the highest quality products to our consumers”
The Galaxy Note 7 saw praise rain down upon it after its launch in August, but the company may be forced to recall its popular handset as early as next week.
According to a report from Yonhap News Agency that cites an unnamed Samsung official, Samsung is preparing to announce a formal recall of the Galaxy Note 7, both in South Korea and in markets around the globe. The report states that the cause of the recall are earlier reports that some Galaxy Note 7 units are exploding while charging.
These reports of exploding Galaxy Note 7 units have caused Samsung to dig in with an in-depth investigation, which Samsung says it will not keep secret after it finishes. So far, though, the report states that Samsung has discovered it is a faulty battery that is causing some units to explode while being charged. According to the official, the faulty battery is installed in less than 0.1 percent of the entire volume that has been sold to date.
Still, Samsung is apparently still moving forward with a formal recall as early as next week. This follows a report from the end of August that said Samsung was already delaying shipments of the Galaxy Note 7 in some markets. It is unlikely the announcement will be made on Friday, however, as the report indicates Samsung is currently working with dealers like Verizon Wireless in the U.S. to reach a solution. The announcement could be made as early as Monday of next week.
Your Galaxy Note 7 hasn’t blown up, right?