25 Days of Tegra Comment Criteria…

Posted Dec 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm in Threads > Opinions

I have to say, I’m kind of let down by the lack of variety and imagination used in coming up w/the criteria needed to comment. There has been 3 basic requirements they’ve used:

1)Just be registered
2)Account level
3)Account age

Or any combination of the above.

My question is this, out of 25 days, these are all they could come up with? How about number of threads or comments? Couldn’t those be thrown into the mix for a little variety? Wouldn’t that encourage community interaction? I think so.

Maybe even number of comments posted to a created thread. My point is, they could really use this and other contests to get people even more involved. It doesn’t have to be so one dimensional.

Do you have any thoughts or maybe recommendations for them to possibly use in the future? Let’s get this thread up and noticed!

• NamelessTed

Well, I can see that if they just made a “must have 50 comments” criteria then there might just be a bunch of people spamming comments. Though, they could then tack on a “and be 6 months old” or something along those lines.

I do think a “must have created at least 1 thread” would be a good start, because that costs points to create a thread so there is inherently going to be less spam that way. They could then up it to 5 or 10 threads which would really target truly active members of the community.

• RhynosAndroid

Good point as far as a tack on of “having created at least one thread”. And yeah, there would be spammers on comments and probably even threads. It’s the nature of the beast w/required criteria.

Maybe put it as “at least one thread (or 50 comments) created before the beginning of the contest” or some other thing that could cut down on ppl just spamming out what was needed.

• gh0st665

Today kind of sucked. I have have been here a year, but I have a rank of 74.

• Oscar Ortega

same position :( im out of todays contest by one point!

• mr 1338

I am sorry to hear that :l
        especially since some people with fresh accounts got to the 90′s with upvotes for everyone threads…

have an upvote so maybe the 25th will be for you again!

• mernen

Hah, I know how you feel :(

• WlfHart

I liked the Haiku day, maybe more fun stuff like that to get some variety. As for requirements which bolster community interaction, the threads thing, (I’d say must have had so many upvotes, but we’ve seen this year that that gets abused too easily), any type of requirement that places a restriction to people who were around before the contest started is great for the bigger prizes/last few days (one can’t limit the entire contest to vets else it wouldn’t do too well to inspire newbies).

• Laurel laurel25

Today sucked for me – I’m at 75 and have. been a member for well over a year (probably closer to 2 years) and I was unable to post, yet someone who has a rank of 33 was able to post. WTF??!!??

• jak2rocks

I’m sorry. :( Did you try logging out and back in? Or posting from a different computer/device?

• Laurel laurel25

Yeah, tried that. Cleared cache. Basically, I just kept up posting like normal and later on my rank was at 78 and I was able to post.

• http://www.openintro.com OpenIntro

How about just a thank you for being a site that gives crazy amazing gifts out for 25 days straight? Pretty much unheard of. Instead you complain about the requirements being too EASY? Seriously?

• WlfHart

Upvote there. Happy Holidays!

• RhynosAndroid

I’m not complaining about it being too easy. How bout you troll somewhere else? I simply brought up my opinion. You don’t have anything constructive to add one way or the other, don’t post. You’re basically rewarding me w/a point to show everyone just how upset you are…

Seriously? (sorry, I just had to add that one for the heck of it.)

• Daniel Hakimi

Last year’s included connecting twitter and setting an avatar and things like that. So that’s something.

• jerrbomb

No offense to anyone.. But I have a rank, have been here for 500+ days and won day five outta random luck because thats how I was chosen.. I believe everyone has had a fair chance and androidandme has done a great job of making sure everyone could enter at least once.. even if I didnt win id still be greatful for a contest like this.. Because the devices are free..

• RhynosAndroid

I think you might’ve read my op wrong. I’m not complaining I haven’t won or that it’s unfair. By no means is that the point of this thread. I just thought it would be fun to have a little more variety in the requirements. I’m very grateful for the opportunities given, even if I never win, loving the available prizes and how they include everyone.

By the way, congratulations on winning!

• Randy White

Love this website, I check it every single day, it’s s huge bonus that they have these awesome give-a-ways! Thanks Androidandme!

• hokiewv

I’ve been appreciative that the criteria hasn’t including posting to twitter and Facebook. There are other sites that require this for extra points and I always decline.

Connecting to twitter and following androidandme or the manufacturer is fine with me though.

• http://clarklab.net Clark Wimberly

Lots to respond to here so I’ll do it all in one post. Enjoy the behind the scenes look into my brain:

There has been 3 basic requirements they’ve used

We’ve also used connect to Twitter and entering your first/last name.

My question is this, out of 25 days, these are all they could come up with? How about number of threads or comments?

Ideas aren’t hard to come up with, coding them during the month of December is.

My point is, they could really use this and other contests to get people even more involved. It doesn’t have to be so one dimensional.

My point is, we ARE using this to engage users. How fun would these challenges be to the AVERAGE user if only power users could enter? While we like to show some love for the power user, this contest is about getting everyone involved.

I liked the Haiku day, maybe more fun stuff like that to get some variety.

The haiku was fun, but the winner was still chosen randomly. We’ve almost completely stopped running contests based on merit, because looking through thousands of entries and trying to judge them is no fun. At all.

Today kind of sucked. I have have been here a year, but I have a rank of 74.

See my point above, about how these challenges are supposed to get everyone involved. When users are left out, it sucks. Except, of course, for those users left alive. Please 50 users or please 1,000?

Today sucked for me — I’m at 75 and have. been a member for well over a year (probably closer to 2 years) and I was unable to post

I got your message through the Contact Us form and spent time trying to fix it, only to find you had used a bum email address with the message.

I’m not complaining about it being too easy. How bout you troll somewhere else?

The guy is sooooo not trolling. Keep your emotions in check.

Last year’s included connecting twitter and setting an avatar and things like that. So that’s something.

We did Twitter auth this year, but skipped the avatar because there’s no way to programmatically test for it. Most of our users use gravatar, which returns an image whether they’ve set it up or not. If they use Twitter avatars instead, we might as well just do Twitter auth as the challenge. The avatar challenge allows all comments, then we have to make sure to pick a correct winner ourselves, which is something we’re trying to avoid this year (see above).

• RhynosAndroid

Guess it’s my turn to address several different items. First, before I do, let me say this, I do appreciate the contests. No matter what, if any, criteria is required, it’s fun. Even though I’ve had some downvotes on some of my above comments and I’m sure this one will be met similarly, I’m still going to defend my post as not being angry or claiming anything was unfair. Sorry you feel that way, but maybe you’re reading more into it as some sort of Freudian slip of sorts.

We’ve also used connect to Twitter and entering your first/last name.

You left out the haiku that was also used. What I was saying was simply the most commonly used. I meant no disrespect by leaving out any of those.

Ideas aren’t hard to come up with, coding them during the month of December is.

I understand coding is difficult and that there is much more that goes into how the contests work than what we see as the finished product. And I’m pretty sure I can speak for everyone when I say, we all appreciate all you do. Unfortunately, much like the Devs who work on ROM’s, yours is a thankless job and often may feel like you’re more than unappreciated. This is not one of those instances. I’m sorry if it felt that way from my post.

This next area, I’ll split into 2 parts as I feel it is best handled that way.

My point is, we ARE using this to engage users.

Yes, which is why I said “to get people even more involved. I applaud what you’ve done in getting the community and new users involved, I was trying to think of different ways to encourage interaction amongst the community.

How fun would these challenges be to the AVERAGE user if only power users could enter? While we like to show some love for the power user, this contest is about getting everyone involved.

I actually don’t even know where this (or anything else that infers that I feel this contest is unfair,) comes from. In fact, if anything, I was trying to bring up other ways the site might be able to include different criteria w/o ostracizing new or average users. Making them attainable in a short period of time. Again, I recognize coding issues, but I believe that has been addressed above. I’m really an average user myself, in no way am I a power user.

The haiku was fun, but the winner was still chosen randomly. We’ve almost completely stopped running contests based on merit, because looking through thousands of entries and trying to judge them is no fun. At all.

I understand it was a completely random pick, but it was a blast… At least on our side of the screen. I can’t begin to comprehend how much trying to judge a criteria based on merit would suck. I’m sure it would be on levels. My mother was a teacher, and I know how much she loved (I know you can’t hear it, but there is sarcasm there,) essays.

The guy is sooooo not trolling. Keep your emotions in check.

Eh, it sure wasn’t civil. And my emotions are in check, it just seemed like it was apparent considering his use of “really?!?” to infer a sarcastic undertone throughout the comment. See SNL weekend update for the best example for how it’s used it demean the person or situation it’s used towards. As if it should just be understood how ridiculous my thread was. Yeah, I still think he was trolling for a response, and he got one. I’m sure there will be some response that basically states how this explanation shows my feelings were hurt, but it’s not that at all. Simply my showing how it appeared to me. So I called him out.

As far as the rest of your “inner workings” well, they have nothing to do w/me or my post. Although I really do want to ask about that one person w/the “bum email address.” Are you not able to get hold of them or that it was a shady deal? Just me being nosy there.

Now I’ve responded to your response and it’s done. I have nothing more to say on this subject, but I thought it only fair to let you know, should you have misunderstood anything I had said previously. And really will be the last off topic comment I’ll be leaving.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you Clark.

• Laurel laurel25

Sorry about the bad email address – I didn’t realize there was a typo there. It all worked out in the end for me, so no biggie. Thanks for trying to get it fixed!

• omprsingh

hey clark , i have rank 50 but still cant comment today ..did i miss anything or that is a bug ? instead of comment box i see this “This contest is only for And Me Accounts with a rank of 50. Thanks!” :(

regarding contact form ..heads up on that i have used it but used a different mail id than the one i use in my account…but i surely not trolling. can you check this if you have time please.

thanks

• WlfHart

Not certain but my guess is the fact that the visual field rounds your percentile score up, while according to what it shows me in detail your current score is 49.78. Again, not certain they set hard score requirements versus rounded score, but it would be a decent guess.

• http://clarklab.net Clark Wimberly

PS: Merry Christmas, guys.

• Ryan Gails

I agree with Clark on all that. Not trying to be a kiss up, just saying the way they have it worked out makes it possible for more people to participate on most days and a hell of a lot easier for them on the And Me end when it comes to coding requirements for commenting. Either way, great opportunities to win some great stuff. A couple more random fun ones like the Haiku would be good for users but, like he said, it’s still picked randomly.

• TheVoodoo

The ranking system already takes all of those criteria into account, which is why it is a good criterion itself for the contests.

• VerticalCobra

I’m just grateful that I had the opportunity to win some great prizes on the site. Thanks! Could they have made it different? Perhaps. But it’s still better than most.

• redraider133

Just wait til the contests are over and look how many of these people will disappear, its sad but seems to happen everywhere when something is being given away

• RhynosAndroid

You’re right VerticleCobra, it is better than most, in fact it’s much better than most. If nothing ever changed, this would still be (imho) the best Android site out there.

Yeah redraider133, many will disappear until the next contest (if at all) but some will stay, finding something they haven’t seen elsewhere. For me it was the original articles. It just seems like so many other sites nowadays are just copy and pasting from other sites.

• redraider133

I agree with you, I always come here first for android news.

• amIT29

Ithink the answer would be to make threads

• sonicdeathmunky

I think it has created many more people creating and commenting on threads. Hopefully at least some of these new people (myself included) hang around and stay active after the competition is over!

• jonstle

I am just thankful for the awesome contest. I definitely got me involved in a website for a change.

• amIT29

i do agree and disagree with you…as putting a number of comments or thread would just cause more spamming ..what could have been done was try the socialmedia side.share on twitter or fb . hourly quiz contest ..

• omprsingh

Android and Me admin My rank is 50 but still I am not able to comment here
    http://androidandme.com/2012/12/news/day-25-redux-win-a-nexus-7-32gb-htc-one-x-att-lte-lenovo-ideapad-yoga-11-sonos-play3-sonos-bridge-and-jawbone-jambox/

All I see is this message “This contest is only for And Me Accounts with a rank of 50. Thanks!” can anybody help me out here please is having rank 50 is the only criteria or is there something that I am missing out here…

• klcow92

same with me here, just wait for a few hours and hope the rank system refreshes itself, you should be able to comment then….it has happened to me before :)

• Ezy03

Keeps happening to me!

• omprsingh

been over 12 hours ..my score is valid ( i thought my score might slide so the comment box isnt showing and soon the it would be updated) ..and yet no comments……i rest my case as i doubt it can be dealt with in due time… :(

• WlfHart

See my comment above to omprsighn. Your rounded score says 50 but when you hover over your raw score is slightly less than 50. Not certain this is the cause, but it seems a likely candidate.

• WlfHart

For example, my rounded score says 92, while my current actual score is 91.88. Thus, technically I do not have a score of 92 or higher.

• LadyDi

I missed today’s by 3 points. Ah well…