3 Should be manufacturers magic number

Posted Apr 02, 2012 at 6:03 pm in Threads > Opinions

Android’s success has a lot to do with the fact that we have a large variety of devices to choose from, but it gets a bit overwhelming sometimes. You buy a phone today and a newer version of that phone Is out within weeks, it tends to leave a bitter taste in the mouth of a lot of people and I see this as something that can hurt android in the long run.

HTC took the approach and decided to cut down on dishing out so many phones so often by creating their one series and it would be nice to see others follow suit. The rule of 3 would be perfect… 3 phones, 3 tablets, If you do things like this then updates will be easier to dish out for devices. You have your flagship phones and tablets being released first, then followed by the other 2 sets, instead of having (insert device name here) 7.8-plus-HD-mini.

Having only 6 devices each (3 tabs, 3phones) then release them months after each pair, 1phone, 1tablet every 4months, will give ppl time to enjoy their devices before they frown because they released the HD version 3weeks after, with doing this I see sales being better, and updates flowing much more faster if things work out that way. Sales aren’t as high as they should be because people have that “let’s wait until next week, I am sure something better will be out then” attitude when it comes to android devices, when you lose anticipation, you lose the hype, and interest of people.

• http://gplus.to/anujahooja anujahooja

I think rather than a certain number, they need to release a line of devices once a year, or each device have a yearly release rather than this willy-nilly whenever-we-want style of release. A good spectrum of devices is awesome, and this shouldn’t be changed.

The reason I don’t want less devices is because the spread of multiple devices makes smartphones more accessible. In other words, companies can release low-end and high-end devices, meaning those who want a smartphone but not a powerhouse of a device can get an affordable phone that makes sense with their lifestyle.

Just my two cents on the topic. More devices => more choice => competition on every level of affordability, which is great for the consumer.

• David

I agree completely. Anything more than four for any manufacturer is just getting out of hand. Three is just right.

• Wilson Lara

I believe HTC is doing it right with their One Line. Release a High, Mid and Low range device once a year should be the standard in Android as opposed to Samsung and Motorola just releasing random phones at any given time, the consumers would benefit from a yearly release cycle similar to how Apple has been doing.

• Stigy

Honestly I’d prefer something similar to this, but maybe twice a year refresh. The appeal of Android is having choice and knowing that when your upgrade comes around you can have something very new and not 8-10 months old.

I do love what HTC is doing with slowing down of the phones though and I think that is one of Android’s biggest problems is the amount of phones released that lose support and can’t support a newer OS a few months after being released. It just doesn’t look good for the platform.

• http://www.infotainmentempire.com pekosROB

Agreed. The only time that much selection is awesome is when none of the phones suck. I understand the mid to low level market but even those devices are becoming a lot better than they were in that category a year or two ago due to the pace of technology.

And make more phones with keyboards. That would get even more BB users to jump ship and switch to Android. Maybe have more than just Motorola coming up with an Android device with a keyboard. I love having a keyboard on the Droid3 but there isn’t much after that. I wish I could buy a phone that is as high end as the One X but also with a keyboard.

In other words, if you’re going to have that much selection, at least vary it up a little.

• Stigy

Just wanted to follow up with another quick comment on this topic since I just thought of it before I went up for breakfast.

One thing that would annoy me so much is if I had actually bought a RAZR and then the RAZR Maxx came out. So your upgrade comes around on Verizon and the RAZR looks so appealing to you – Motorola hardware is nice and promises of upgrades to ICS dancing around your head. You go to the store and pick one up and its the perfect device, but you find yourself putting it on the charger mid-day before work, but it doesn’t really bother you because you love your device. Then a few months later Motorola releases the RAZR Maxx – the same exact phone with just a bigger battery and there is nothing you can do about it. Its past the return period and you’ve dropped your RAZR once or twice so the resale value has dropped a little bit. What do you do? Do you try to sell your RAZR for a Maxx or just spend another $110 on the Maxx upgrade kit these companies are selling now.

I just feel like Motorola should’ve just picked one or the other (preferably the Maxx) to release to consumers since it got so much hype for its battery life. It may not be the thinnest phone (which I am sure is what they were going for), but its still REALLY thin and packs a battery that can last a whole day.

Stuff like that needs to stop.

• Samar

Exactly..That’s how Apple has been maintaining it’s hype all time around even with a design dated 2 Yrs Old.

• Joel

Lets ask ourselves, do we really need a low end device? Sure the price would be cheaper, in a sense though it wont help later on when future updates are released and for whatever reason the lower end devices arent supported – all that brings is more division, no?

I think we’d see better results if we eliminate the concept of a low end device – technology shouldnt move forward and backward at the same time.

High end for the tech savvy/ work oriented/ developers/ show offers..
    Mid range for the masses who just need a phone.

That should simplify the release date issue as well.