$74 Android mini-computer – slightly larger than a thumb drive

Posted May 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm in Threads > Apps & Games

Ars Technica has an article about a thumb-drive sized Android mini-PC.

Android Mini PC

According to the article, this thing runs Android 4.0, it outputs at 1080p, and has USB, microUSB, and MicroSD support.

This thing practically screams gaming…what would be your dream gaming setup using this as a base? Would you even be interested in something like this? What other potential uses do you see?

• ama332

Seems a lot like the Raspberry Pi – $35 gets you a credit card sized board that can output 1080p. it’s only been out a few months, but I’m waiting to see what the Android community can do with it (it was designed to run on Linux)

• jak2rocks

I just want to know: what’s the point of something like that?

• Alex Pitts

Hook it up via HDMI to a TV and you now have 60 inch Android system. Seems awesome enough to me.

• Zagrash

That’s about what I was thinking too. I wonder if there are any industrious developers/tinkerers, etc. that could get Kinect working with this thing? How badass would it be to play some touch-control games, only without needing to touch anything?

• William Hutchinson

Very interesting!

• TraceYaromi

Looked cool, so I’m buying it

• mipd1980

The wife just ordered me a Raspberry Pi for my birthday, so now she gets to find a way to order this. What can I say? I’m a geek. Linux and Android all the way baby.

• Chris

Uh. Yeah! I’ve been considering FXITECH Cotton Candy USB – HDMI unit. Similar unit. I will buy one immediately. Manufacturer, specs, anyone.

• Zagrash

this is what I found at one of the source links:

CPU AllWinner A10 @ 1.5GHz + Mali 400 GPU
      Memory 512MB RAM
      Storage 4GB Flash
      microSD slot (Up to 32GB)
      Connectivity WiFi 802.11b/g
      USB micro USB 2.0/OTG port
      USB 2.0 Host port
      Keyboard Android virtual keyboard or 2.4G wireless keyboard + fly mouse
      Video output HDMI (1080p)
      Video Codecs WMV/ASF/MP4/3GP/3G2M4V/AVI/MJPEG/RV10/DivX/VC-1/MPEG-2/
      MPEG-4/H.263/H.264/1280*720P HD 30 fps, 1080P/720*480 D1 30fps
      Audio Codecs AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, QCP, MP3, WMA, WAV, MIDI, M4A
      Operating System Android 4.0 (ICS)
      Power Input 5V/2A
      Size 8.8*3.5*1.2cm
      Weight 200g

• Explodee

I’m not quite sure I understand how this works. How would I use a keyboard and/or mouse with this? Also does it need some sort of power supply?

• Zagrash

I thought I saw that it has bluetooth connectivity, but if nothing else, it has a USB port. It does also need to be plugged in apparently, I saw that at one of the linked sites from the original Ars article.

• heynomi4u

I’ll buy it. I can carry it anywhere. I think it’ll be more useful than the UBUNTU I have on a USB.

• droiddewd

I think the Cotton Candy seems more viable because the HDMI is a male port whereas this one has a female port so the extra cable to connect. Cotton candy has BT but I don’t know if this unit has that or not. But the price is pretty sweet for this one. Cotton Candy is 199 bucks.

• Zagrash

Monoprice.com – cables real cheap =) I suppose having to carry one around with you in order to use this would make it slightly less portable, but really you’d only need a 3′ cable, and that would wind up pretty tight in a bag or backpack

• Jiltedae

Aside from the very reasonable prices on HDMI cables now, having a male port on the device itself adds to the overall length of the device and leaves it exposed to damage when connected to the computer or television. One errant bump and the device is ruined. (The long usb receivers for older wireless mice comes to mind.)

• Zagrash

I’d think having the male plug would just make it more difficult to get other devices (usb keyboard, etc.) plugged in. If it’s sticking directly out of the back of a tv/monitor, it seems like it would just be more of a pain.

• Jiltedae

I can see that little device being used as a cheap media center. It’d be noiseless, extremely compact, portable, and capable of hd playback. It’s use for gaming would probably be somewhat limited at the moment, since most android game apps are geared towards a touch display as opposed to a gamepad or keyboard/mouse combo, that that’s liable to change overnight. I’m kind of excited seeing miniscule and monitarily cheap computers coming on the market, and seeing one that uses android is great. Maybe soon there will be more desktop or micro computers running android.

• DeegBom

I actually have been trying to get my hands on that device. I already see myself connecting it to my 42″ Sony Bravia, hooking up a USB-hub, my wireless keyboard and mouse, and if compatible, my wireless Xbox 360 controller. There are a few other devices like it available, but they’re hard to get a hold off due to the huge pre-orders.

• Zagrash

For anybody that’s interested, Engadget has a hands-on with the device with impressions and video.

• Mix

Thanks for the link, off I go to read more!

• Zagrash

now they’re taking a tour of the factory where these are made…

I don’t think they’re going to win any awards for cleanliness…

has anybody gotten one of these yet? If so, what do you think?