About those Nexus 5 rumors…

Posted Sep 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm in Threads > Smartphones & Tablets

Yesterday GSMArena reported that HTC was making the Nexus 5. I believe Google will have a Nexus 5, but I do not think HTC will be making another Nexus device anytime soon. We recently met with HTC in NY and the vibe I got from them told me they want nothing to do with the Nexus program after the HTC Nexus One was a complete bomb.

I’m fairly confident that LG will be making a Nexus phone. I was told that it might be based on the Optimus G, but new information I have says the design might be slightly altered. Specifically, I was told that LG’s Nexus phone would be a “phablet” with a 5+ inch display.

It could be possible that GSMArena heard there would be a Nexus 5 and that led them to speculate it would be the rumored HTC One X5. Based on all the info I have, it sounds like the Nexus 5 will be the LG Optimus G with a 5-inch display.

I don’t know why they felt the need to bump the display from 4.7 to 5.0, but maybe they are using LG’s new 1080p display. This sounds absolutely crazy, but that might be what LG is going for.

Almost every Nexus phone has been a disappointment in one way or another, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up. It’s still something interesting to think about though…