Android 4.2 Lock Screen Widgets: How are you using them, if at all?

Posted Dec 17, 2012 at 11:57 am in Threads > Opinions

I really like the idea, but having full-screen widgets, and the unlock pattern covering most of the default widget screen, I’m finding it hard to find them very useful.

But it shows a lot of promise, and I think it will be improved upon drastically in the next versions, since the current implementation is definitely not the best way to do it.

• JonJJon

I only use the “Fixed clock widget” as I personally don’t like the style of the new 4.2 lock screen clock widget. Just personal preference really. I don;t use any other widgets on the lock screen as I didn’t find them to be very useful at this point in time (I guess I have got my home screens set up so that the speed of access to what I use most often is quick enough for me)

I only use this lock screen widget atm on my Nexus 7:

• TheVoodoo

I think they would be a lot more useful if multiple widgets were allowed on the same screen.

• herbivore83

I have 4 widgets set on my lock screen (in addition to the clock). I use (from right to left) Calendar, Twitter (Plume), Messaging, and Gmail. I like having the calendar in the most easy to access place so I can quickly look at my agenda and answer questions about scheduling without having to enter my unlock pattern. I use the messaging and Gmail widgets to see if my messages warrant an immediate response. Since you can’t use the notification bar in the lockscreen with a pattern lock on, the widgets are a nice at-a-glance look as well as a quick way to launch directly into the app.

• Dradien

I usually use it to check the weather (I think I have beautiful Widgets set up). It’s nice at a glance.

• TheVoodoo

I’ve been too scared to use the GMail widget, since it puts one’s full email box at the disposal of anyone with access to the phone regardless of security settings.

• Nostril

I love the widgets! I actually use the Messaging and Calendar widgets, and I like the quick access to the camera!

One thing bugs me though – scrolling through widgets resets the timer for no input detected, so this makes it easier to unlock the phone accidentally in your pocket.

I work around this problem by using a simple pattern password – not for security, but to prevent accidental unlocks.

• sandy105

i used the gmail widget but then thought otherwise ,now i only have the clock there..

• da9el

i use the clock on the main lockscreen, the camera to the right and the flashlight to the left.

• SGB101

one feature i dont see the point of, and dont use. i hope il be proven wrong soon. a clock is all i need on it.

to me the lock screen is something that stops me making calls in my pocket. if i get a notification, a light flashed for me to see it.

• TheVoodoo

I agree, but it is nice to able to swipe and access the camera while the gallery is still locked away.

But I guess that could cause “pocket snapping.” :)

• VerticalCobra

Use the lockscreen provided with AOKP Task650 ROM. Waiting for the 4.2 update.

• KingCrow02

I love lock screen just wish there were more apps that take advantage of them.

• jaysond

never use them its crap crap i tells ya!

• Bain

I’ve tried several, but the only one I’ve stuck with is DashClock