Anyone willing to try the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile (16GB for $199 w/2yr contract) after what happened last year with Verizon?

Posted Oct 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm in Threads > Opinions

Getting the Nexus 4 is a big score for T-Mobile. I know the full price of the unlocked Nexus 4 is very inexpensive (16 GB for $349), but saving $150 sounds enticing. Will Google still control the updates? Would anyone trust T-Mobile to do better than Verizon?

• jamal adam

I think that T-Mobile is giving Google control on software and since they are a GSM company it will be a lot easier to update.

As Joshua Topolosky mentions in his article on The Verge, “The company is selling an unlocked version of the phone with T-Mobile on contract, but my sense is that they’re reluctant to work with other carriers that ask for more control over devices. That may be because Google’s experience with Verizon and the Galaxy Nexus has clearly not been ideal – the carrier’s restrictions have made it hard for the company to keep the phone updated with the latest software. I personally know a lot of unhappy Galaxy Nexus owners who’ve had to sit on the sidelines for months at a time while their HSPA+ brethren see devices updated on Google’s schedule.”

I think that he is spot on and the T-Mobile is a more trustworthy carrier than Verizon. Also, if you read the article on The Verge about why Google has no LTE on the Nexus 4, I think it will shed more light on why they decided to go GSM only for no.
    Here is the article: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte

• www.phonewbie.com

What you said definitely makes sense. I just peaked at the article and if they are right then thats good news. My upgrade is on 10/31 so im ready. Just want my quick upgrades and to use my hotspot.

• redraider133

Google will control the updates because with gsm you do not have all the cdma/lte items you have to get. That is one of the main reasons cdma takes so long and is much more difficult. Just look at the sprint nexus and how the one googler explained why it wasn’t officially supported by AOSP yet.

• www.phonewbie.com

I forgot about that. You guys are making my decision easy.

• Ardrid

Even if you’re already on T-Mobile, I think you’d have to be an idiot to lock yourself into a new two-year contract for a $100-150 savings. If Google were selling the Nexus 4 for $600-700, then I could see why signing a new agreement would make sense. But at $300-350? It makes no sense at all.

It makes more sense to buy the phone from Google directly and use it on one of T-Mobile’s prepaid plans. The savings really speak for themselves. Let’s take T-Mobile’s basic individual plan with unlimited data vs. 2 of T-Mobile’s Monthly4G plans:

T-Mobile Service Fees: $90/month (unlimited talk, text, 4G data)
    T-Mobile Nexus 4 – $200
    Total 2 year cost: $2360

T-Mobile Monthly4G Service Fees: $60/month (unlimited talk, text, 2GB 4G data)
    Unlocked Nexus 4 – $350
    Total 2 year cost: $1790; Savings vs. Contract: $570

T-Mobile Monthly4G Service Fees: $30/month (100 min, unlimited text, 5GB 4G data)
    Unlocked Nexus 4 – $350
    Total 2 year cost: $1070; Savings vs. Contract: $1290

Like I said, the savings speak for themselves.

• www.phonewbie.com

Be nice mr Ardid, dont call ppl idiots.

It may be that some ppl have upgrades but they’re contract is not up till later next year so they cant migrate to prepaid service without paying an ETF.

It may be that some people just cant afford the $150 now and dont wanna wait.

It may be that the monthly 4g plans are set up differently than plans that ppl have been using and maybe the structure of the monthly 4G plans dont work for them.

It may be that some ppl have sweet discounts through their employer, great grandfathered plans that are already inexpensive.

Prepaid is a GREAT option but lets leave the option of contracts for those who want it.

• Ardrid

I wasn’t saying someone who chooses a contract over prepaid is an idiot; many people have legitimate reasons for sticking with their contracts. Rather, I was saying that you’d be an idiot if your sole reason for signing a new contract was to save $100 on the device. Subsidization simply doesn’t make sense when the unlocked device is this cheap.

• www.phonewbie.com

I have an excellent rate plan. If I go the route you suggested, my “savings vs contract” would only be $40. So the $150 difference up front works for me.

• jamal adam

David from Tmonews states that, “If you’re on a Classic or Legacy rate plan, the subsidized pricing on the Nexus 4 makes a lot of sense. If you’re a Value Plan subscriber, do yourself a favor and buy the Nexus from Google, your wallet will thank you.”

• RX-78-7

You’d save money if you go for the unlocked version, and it’s quite affordable. I’d love to switch my S2 for the Nexus 4.

I’ll be getting the N10 and N4 in the future, very pleased with what they’ve done with the nexus brand.

• www.phonewbie.com

Im not sure how I feel about the N10. I wanna see and here more about it. I like the N4 and N7 tho.

• RX-78-7

I would’ve prefer it didn’t look too much like a galaxy device, but supposedly it’s got a much better feel to it( according to the verge). Something I can easily overlook because of the amazing specs and pure google.

I’m really glad they went with PLS, I don’t dislike SAMOLED, but I honestly prefer the IPS+/PLS lcd’s which offer more natural colors, without the green/blue hues(not to forget it has a much longer life expectancy over SAMOLED)

• www.phonewbie.com

I like the SAMOLED too but i miss the brightness of the LCD screens

• RX-78-7

As for the update through t-mobile, I’m pretty confident that it wont be a problem.

• CAM

I currently have a Nexus S through t-mobile and I have always gotten updates within a few days of them being announced. It won’t be a problem at all.

• Frank Pilone

Personally, I am on the Value Plan. The only reason I will see buying directly from T-Mobile is if one qualifies for the EIP (Easy Installment Plan). The phone has to be a reasonable price. It does seem as if T-Mobile raises the MSRP, so I expect the $350 to be more like $400, or $450. If that becomes the case, you may end up paying $100 premium for the EIP option. If you buying out-right, Google might be the better option.

• Nate B.

Also, since it’s GSM, usually when leaks or official updates hit the web and people pull them, people with GSM phones can flash them. I’m not talking about ROMS either. I mean the official updates that get pulled and added to XDA or other mobile sites. It’s usually compatible with all GSM phones if it’s on a carrier or not. It plays out well regardless.

• Nate B.

Negri has it up for pre-order right now. A little more then what Google is pushing out but still cheaper than what Negri usually has for their unlocked phones.

• Ruben

In my area T-Mobile service does not compare to Verizon’s so I will be happily rocking my gnex till further notice.

• DroidPower

If you get it on contract, you have to pay the 20 to 30 dollars a mo. for the data fee. If you buy it off contract, you can get the same data plans via the value plan for much cheaper (by 10 dollars a mo.) not to mention your total phone bill will be cheaper. You’ll easily save the money you spend if you stay with Tmo for 2 years. Even better is the popular monthly 4G plans, which gives you a ton of savings and the freedom of being off contract. I think paying for the off contract device will definitely be a better option here. Of course, if you really like being in a contract (in all seriousness, some people do prefer that), then idk if anyone can persuade you otherwise.