Google I/O reaction (day 1)

Posted Jun 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm in Threads > Opinions

With that in the books for now, how do you feel about everything are you underwhelmed? overwhelmed or just plain indifferent about the whole thing?

For me, i loved everything about it, from the intro of Jelly bean, down to the amazing project intro of Google Glass.

I am really excited for Jelly Bean, and i would love to know all the new perks of the final update and what else that wasn’t shown.

• Ironzey Lewis

I’m really feeling good about my Galaxy nexus purchase.
    I’m excited to try our Jellybean. I’ll be going back to stock in preparation for the update.

$1500 for Google glass. That’s like 3 pairs of regular glasses, seems reasonable. I was surprised by this one.

I was following some live streams so I may have missed out on some things. Does anyone know where I can watch a recorded one?

• Ironzey Lewis

Nexus Q, I like the name and it looks like a pretty cool device. The price, $300, is too hi.

It is the first “Google made” device I wonder what else Google is going to make. They are stepping into the hardware realm. While I won’t be getting one I’m excited for Google to be taking this big step.

• kwills88

am i the only one who’s really bothered by how thick the Nexus 7 bezel is?

• Ironzey Lewis

I haven’t really gotten a good look at it. A good amount of bezel is a good thing with tablets, it makes a good place to hold them.

• Jesse Moreno

I was thinking the same thing! But yes I suppose SOME bezel is needed.

Perhaps it just looks overstated because of the size of the tablet itself?

• kazahani

I noticed that as well. I’m a bezel-hater, but I’ve never used a 7-inch tablet extensively, and I’m told that they’re neccessary. We will see, cuz bezel or no bezel, I’m getting a Nexus 7 for every day of the week.

• redraider133

I think google is doing a great job. i like the improvements that Jelly Bean brings and hopefully they can get this out a little quicker than ICS.

• Jesse Moreno

Dude as soon as Vic Gundotra got on stage and wasted no time getting into his tech talk I knew this was gonna be a great I/O. Google has obviously been very hard at work and their efforts have really shown this year.

Fantastic new OS, two new sweet-lookin’ devices with very well-thought interoperability, re-polished apps with that hey-look-at-me finish, a price-drop for the already desirable Galaxy Nexus and even a nice look at the promising new tech still in development. There is just so much to look forward to in the next twelve months. And this was just day 1! :D

Oh but the best part? Watching the Project Glass jumpers from my building window. I am six again and it’s Christmas Eve. ^___^

• masterpfa

I must admit that Project Glass demo just blew me away.

Great opening Keynote, delivered in a polished fashion by nearly all (poor Project Glass speakers looked like rabbits caught in the headlights), but the Rest of the team delivered their sections so well

I’m so happy I’m with Google, the futures looking bright!

• Ironzey Lewis

I am a little disappointed about only getting a media streamer for my home. I was hoping for some good home automation from Google. Based on the early review of the Nexus Q it seems like Google isn’t playing around with build quality going forward I hope they continue the good design.

• Laurel laurel25

I have to say, I’m a little disappointed in the Nexus 7 not having a memory card slot. I’m not surprised by it, since I know that cloud based storage is the way Google wants things to go, but really, after the OS is installed, there’s not a whole lot of room left on an 8 GB device. And I know a lot of people who are not into having their files stored in the cloud. I’m not 100% certain, but this could be a deal breaker for me and it bums me out because I was super excited for this tablet.

• Ironzey Lewis

As much as I hate to admit it. I’ll have to agree. It seems that 8GB is not going to be enough. Yeah, we are living in a world with WIFI that is (almost) everywhere but having such a limited amount of space is a MAJOR consideration.

For me, I think I could make it work. At home I have WIFI and when I’m out I have tethering but that is limited to 5GB/month. I really want to like AND use tablets but until now I haven’t found a good everyday use for them.

How about the 16GB model? $250 is still a reasonable price for the best of Google.