Happy Birthday to the G1. Who Else Wants to See a True Update 4 Years Later?

Posted Oct 23, 2012 at 1:43 am in Threads > Opinions

I mean seriously, look at that beauty. I had one of these babies on day one four years ago and I still haven’t used a phone that I enjoyed as much as this thing. I still compare every phone to the G1. I got mine custom laser engraved when I was at CES that year, awesome stuff. I fucking LOVED having a physical keyboard, and that trackball is still awesome.

So, what if we saw a real update to the G1 today? Am I crazy to think that I wouldn’t be the only person lining up to get one, if it were done right? The obvious upgrades would be a nice flashy big screen, with the latest CPU/GPU and all that noise. It would obviously have to be a Nexus device.

The physical keyboard with the screen that slides up would have to be one of the defining features of the device. I would be sad to see them go, but understand that the physical buttons would be gone and replaced with the pseudo-on-screen touch buttons that are standard for all the new phones. Though, I think it would be really cool to see the track ball come back. I also think it would be a good upgrade to have the whole top layer slide up instead of leaving the chin with the physical buttons behind. And it would absolutely need to have a full 5-row keyboard, none of that 4-row shit from the G2, gross. I would also love to see a multi-colored LED notification, I am a big fan of those.

So, who else here had a G1 back in the day? Did you guys love it as much as I did? What would be some must-have features that a true successor to the G1 would need to have?

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

Oh man. I LOVE my G1. I would love a top of the line phone with a trackball and physical keyboard. I was so disappointed in my G2 only having 4 rows. I would line up for a day one purchase if it had a trackball.

Happy bday to the G1! Look how far we’ve come as far as Android goes.

I wonder if there would be a way to hook up a small track ball like a mouse to a handset. I mean it accepts mouse input. would you hook it up like a USB port? where would you find a mini trackball? I am liking this idea more and more. hold the phone in one hand as your other hand can track around. Almost like a fully assembled wii-mote. Can we make this happen?

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

Great post by the way. I love looking back.

• kwills88

i still have my old reliable, whenever something happens to my current phone, i always run back to my g1…after all this time, after hacking it constantly, the screen only works on the left side, but it still powers on and works.

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

I want AOKP (JB) on it!

• Oscar Ortega

i loved it! and i still have it but unfortunately battery truly sucks and mine suffers from random reboots

• Zach Stewart

If they came out with a updated G1 with todays specs, I would totally buy it. I remember going to T-Mobile when they were holding their preview event a couple of days before the launch and for them to release so much nostalgia would be awesome.

For must have features, the keyboard and sliding screen would have to be there. I would love to see the chin, but want them to address the raised section on the right of the phone where the menu is.

• CTown

While I guess it would be nice to see a true sucesssor to the G1, I don’t think that is going to happen. Just look at how Android phones progressed. Co-Danger founder Andy Rubin is also the guy who created Android. That is one of the reasons that the G1 looks like one of Danger’s well-known Hiptop (T-Mo called them Sidekicks) phones. Still, even Rubin must have seen the keyboard dying out, as soon as Android 1.5 was released with on-screen keyboard support, Google never made a phone with a key again. If Android’s creator sees little value in it, I’m sure the OS in itself reflects it.

• CTown

… so many mistakes in that one. I meant Danger co-founder Andy Rubin and I meant that Google never made a phone with a hardware keyboard after Android 1.5 was released.

• rashad360

I too loved my G1 since getting it day one. I held onto it for nearly 3 years before moving on! That is by far my longest commitment to a cell phone. The dev community was fantastic; making sure it kept on going long after Google abandoned it. I am sad that physical keyboards have fallen out of style… virtual keyboards make me feel so claustrophobic with the screen real estate! The track ball helped with precise clicks and passive mouse hover in the browser which I sorely miss.

Well, anyways. That trip down memory lane was nice. I still have my G1 in a drawer somewhere; I may power it up for old times sake