Has the Nexus 4′s $299-$349 price changed your mind about signing a contract simply to get the best phones cheaply?

Posted Dec 14, 2012 at 10:44 pm in Threads > Opinions

I know that the reason I didn’t switch to pre-paid contractless service was that all the new superphones I wanted cost about $700, which was hard to swallow when the same phone was available on a 2-year contract at just over $100 (with promos and discounts).

However, the Nexus 4 pricing from Google changed that for me and I immediately canceled my contract and switched to pre-paid with it.

Has this practically half-off pricing of an amazing superphone at $299-$349 changed your mind about switching to pre-paid and still enjoying the latest and greatest of phones, or at least made you think about it?

• uknowme

I’m going to be going for the Nexus 6 by the time my contract is up. Just too expensive when I have about a year and a half left. I really hope they can keep these prices down for the Nexus line.

• wickedme

I agree, it’s hard to beat the price at a hundred, even compared to 350. Not all of can come up with 350 at once.

• TheVoodoo

Yes. But it was much harder to compare, when considering $650 or $700 versus $150.

However, the savings of $50 unlimited pre-paid can more easily offset the $200 difference than the $500+ one. Don’t you agree?

• redraider133

For me being stuck on verizon, the price of the nexus does not really affect my decision making since it won’t work on verizon sadly. I am strongly considering my options once my contract is up this summer but may just buy full price to keep my unlimited lte. That is about the only thing holding me back from switching to another carrier or even prepaid.

• TheVoodoo

I’m glad to hear that you have a grandfathered unlimited data feature. That’s great.

But if you’re keeping your Verizon service after contract extension expiration, then why would you need to buy a full-price phones instead of just extending your contract in exchange for a heavily discounted phone?

• kelltrash14

You can’t extend a contract on Verizon while keeping the unlimited (though there are some loopholes/workarounds). So the full price of devices may come to matter more and more to us on Verizon who wish to retain unlimited. Of course, since Verizon is so controlling about devices, they’ll certainly do their best to block us ever having access to a lower priced unlocked device.

• redraider133

because verizon takes away the unlimited grandfathered data when you upgrade so the only way to keep that is through buying full price.

• TheVoodoo

So that means that you would have to buy a full-price phone while continuing to pay for service that has device subsidy recovery built into it?

• kelltrash14

Yeah, or use one of the loopholes. Hilarious, right? AT+T people were doing it to keep unlimited as well.

• Dean Smith

This is actually about MORE than money. I have the htc One X. It is a totally fabulous phone. But it will be January before I’m updated to JB. I don’t have that problem with my Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 was updated to Android 4.2.1 two days after I read the rumor on C-net. THATS FAST.

Also, AT&T charges $30.00 per month for 3GB of data. I use far less than 1 GB, but must pay for 3, and texting is extra.

Nexus 5, and T-Mobile —- HERE I COME.

• TheVoodoo

Good luck. And you’re right.

I can’t help but suggest the CM10 official nightlies for your AT&T HTC One X. I’ve had it on the same exact phone as yours for over a month now, and it is bug-free and amazing.

• ndub21

Unfortunately my wife is an iPhone lover and HAD to have the iPhone 5, so we renewed her contract on AT&T. My contact is up, but I may just renew mine and sell the phone. I would love to go prepaid but it wouldn’t save me any money while my wife is still on AT&T.

• TheVoodoo

If you had two people on AT&T family plan, a pre-paid service could still save you serious money.

I just came from a somewhat similar situation. My partner is locked into AT&T for another year. So I moved from Sprint to AT&T in September and converted into a family plan.

However, I was luckily able to cancel in favor of Nexus 4 on Solavei (any other $50 plan would work) during the 30-day premier member buyer’s remorse period.

And while our total monthly cost is the same, I have unlimited minutes, and an extra 1GB of 4G data, not to mention no Contract.

When my partner’s contract is up, after moving to pre-paid, the plans together will end up cost about $50 less than AT&T for 2 extra GB of the 4G data.

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

I bought my Galaxy S III at full price (from T-Mobile, no less, where it was more expensive than EVERYBODY else) as my first off-contract new smartphone purchase. So no, the Nexus 4 didn’t convince me.

HOWEVER, had I not been convinced before, the Nexus 4 certainly WOULD have convinced me! I mean, my last few smartphones have all cost me $299 on-contract (got them the day they launched so I paid the “bleeding edge tax”). So what’s another $0-50 but with MUCH cheaper cellular service? Seems like a no-brainer to me!

I only hope that we can continue seeing options at a cost comparable to the Nexus 4! I doubt it, but that would be amazing!!

• Daniel Hakimi

No, it hasn’t.

For one, I’m still on a family plan, a vexatious system by which… well, they’ll actually give you a similar deal to the bring-your-own-phone deals, only with a contract and a phone subsidy.

Also… My family is on Sprint. So I couldn’t get a Nexus 4 now if I wanted to.

• nobile

I hate long term contracts. They make me feel like a prisoner. Always prefer to give an extra bucks initially and then to annoy the MNO wile negotiating for better conditions. :)

• heynomi4u

It absolutely has. I am never signing a contract again unless the 3-year term phones completely blow a Nexus out of the water.

• KingCrow02

Will always prefer paying full price for the phone rather than any contract phone.

• dino13

Hmm well not really as I do not have the money to buy a new phone. In Austria currently it is less expensive to have a 2 year contract rather than buying a new phone and getting pre-paid service. I got my LG Optimus 4x HD for 0€ and a 20€ per month contract. So in the 2 years I will pay all in all 500€ which is essentially the price of the phone.

• TheVoodoo

Wow 20€ per month on contract with a 300€+ smartphone at 0€ is simply astounding.

What amount of minutes and data do you exactly get?

• dino13

You get 2000min, 1000sms and 2GB of full speed, if you go over the 2GB they just throttle the speed down. Plus I can use my Plan in all other 3 countrys, it’s called 3LikeHome.

• TheVoodoo

Wow. That is 2 GB of data for about $25 with a few very generous amount of minutes and SMS.

Good for you.

• dino13

It’s ok, but Austria is a rather small country so you can’t really travell that much around with the plan.

• shlevy

As long as Wisconsin gets good TMobile coverage I’m definitely jumping on the prepaid bandwagon

• rond

Definately, I don’t think I would ever pay 600 to 700 for a phone, but 300 or 400 is something I can see buying, and then using on a prepaid no contract plan.

• TheVoodoo

Particularly, when you can pay about $300 for a $600 phone.

• Stig03

i love nexus!

• sonicdeathmunky

I got excited and signed up for a 2yr contract to get my Galaxy S2. Now it’s one year later, my phone feels fairly ancient, and I still have ONE YEAR before my contract is up. If I can hold out that long, I will absolutely be leaving the contract and going unlocked. It may cost a little extra, but I crave the flexibility of not being locked into a contract for aaaages.

• TheStig
  • Ezy03
  • Gedgehead

I will definitely be going contract free next time. I’m on T-mobile in the UK running a S3 and it’s still on ICS. I will purchase the nexus device when the contact is up in a year and a half.

• Bain

No, I’ve been a prepaid customer for years. The long term savings of prepaid service (for most consumers) is self-evident if you look at all of the costs over the course couple years.

The better price really just made the total initial cost easier for my wife to swallow.

• gavinb

I’ve been considering going contract free for the last couple of phone upgrades but it hasn’t quite worked out when compared to the upgrade offers I have been given. Having said that, the Nexus 4 has changed that situation and if the next Nexus comes out at a similar price I will definitely be buying it.

• TheVoodoo

I agree.

Here’s to hoping the Google keeps the discounted pricing model for the future Nexus models.

• hokiewv

I’m grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan with AT&T the otherwise I’d be looking. I switched to a Galaxy Nexus from an iPhone 4 since I wanted to at least have the option to switch without penalty in the next few years.

I’m hoping that unlocked Nexus devices with LTE will come out with compatibility with multiple carriers.

• TheVoodoo

So unlike Verizon, AT&T allows your to renew your contract with new phones and still keep your grandfathered unlimited data?

Also, the Nexus 4 is compatible with many networks, including AT&T. But it only support HSPA+ speeds which can be quite high depending on your coverage area.

• hokiewv

Even though the AT&T network realizes that I switched from an iPhone, I never changed my plan and they’re still grandfathering in the unlimited web. I just transferred the sim from my iPhone in case I ever needed to switch back.

The galaxy nexus does HSPA+ as well and overall, I’m very happy with the data speeds. Friends that have an iPhone 5 do get some nice speed test numbers, I don’t see the need yet. There are so many good Android phones coming out but I figure that changing every 2 years or so is the equivalent of changing every other iPhone model.

• Kaote

If pricing like this hasnt changed your mind, it certainly should.
    I personally wont ever buy a subsidized phone again.

• nicotinemind

Just checked how much would cost to pre-order a Nexus 4 here in Finland.Hells bells,it’s 599,90 euros,that’s 790.01 US dollars…for the 8gb…that’s is just…freaking wrong…

• TheVoodoo

Is that from Google Play or a third-party store?

• nicotinemind

A third party store,Google play dosen’t sell it here.I was ready for 100€ bump on the price,but this is just crazy.Hope Google Play will open up to us someday,but I got a feeling we are in for a long wait:(

• tanman888

9 months ago I switched to prepaid instead of signing up to a new contract purely on the reason that phone advancements have been that quick and any device after 2 years becomes quickly outdated.

The Nexus 4 is a game changer as you can get a fairly high spec’d phone with all the latest features (or close to the latest) smartphones have to offer at a significant discount compared to other offerings. And that’s because as per the other Nexus devices, Google is trying to get the public to use their services. So they are making no or little profits on their devices but (assuming) an increase related service revenues.

• SGB101

The price is not a consideration in the UK, as much as elsewhere, well at least for power users, as it works out over two years that the total amount spent, is about equal.

For light users pay n go, is a better bet for light users tho.

So the cheaper nexus 4 will really only save you the price difference between the handset costs.

Here in the UK most (if not all, if your already a customer) are free (100% subsidised), so it’s cheaper to keep the price of the hand set, in your pocket and pay it over 2 years, and spend that cash on something else (like more gadgets I don’t need).

A high user will pay £35 per month on contract, or about £20-25 on pay n go, so the extra £10-15 per month totals £240-320.

That’s about the price of a nexus 7, so you broke even, but only half the amount of the Note2. So actually you loose money by buying up fount.

So the only draw back of having a contract, is having to keep the device for 2 years. I get round this by having 3 contracts and the wife gets my old one and them to my son then the wife’s. So i get to change every 8 months.

Non of this is relevant if you only put £5 pm on a phone.

• SGB101

Meant to say nexus4 ^

• Hipstr63

My contract with Verizon in up for renewal in January. I will most likely get the new Samsung Galaxy IV with a new 2 yr. contract. My son’s phone, on my contract, is due for update in Sept. 2013, so I will be able to update my phone again then once I’ve seen the new offerings for the coming year. My son is 28 but he is not able to afford a new phone or contract of his own so I always give him my phone when I update. This way, we both get new phones quite often and always at the discounted contract renewal rate. A win/win for us both!

• bear831

Unfortunately I am on Verizon so that limits my device choice, but when google announced the $300 nexus phone I immediately began to check out T-Mobiles coverage in my area. The price point is unbelievable and I would love for a top of the line phone to be priced at $300 unlocked on Verizon. This price point along with T-Mobiles new pricing plans could lead to a max exudous from both Verizon and AT&T.