Nexus 4 or SGS3….I have both to choose from

Posted Dec 06, 2012 at 8:55 am in Threads > Opinions

So a buddy owed me a big favor and made good by dropping off a new Galaxy S3 from his Tmobile upgrade. I am currently running an SGS2 and was not sure whether to keep the S3 or the Nexus 4 (on order). Just wanted to see your thoughts on the matter, I will be giving one to my girlfriend at the end of December and pretty sure the SGS3 is going to her.

Either way it’s a good situation for me. I’m not a crack flasher but usually change rom’s a few times a month. The S3 has some nice roms, and expandable memory which is sort of a big deal for me. But the Nexus is….a Nexus. Let me know what you think, what would you keep? Thanks.

• redraider133

If you always want to have the latest available right away go with the nexus. If expandable memory is what you really need go with the s3. Both are great devices and both are getting lots of love from the developer community. Plus I like what samsung is doing and adding with touchwiz( multi window, etc)

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

For me, it came down to “Best Dev Community, Dirt Cheap, and Terrible Accessory Options” vs “Good Dev Community, Expensive, and Best Accessory Options”.

I chose the Nexus 4. I’m happy with and confident in my choice but it remains to be seen if there were any other major factors I should have considered that I didn’t. So far, no broken back glass – that’s my biggest fear. That said, even broken back glass can easily be “fixed” by putting my phone in a case (something I usually end up doing anyways).

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

Oh, and to mention the obvious biggies that I totally neglected:

SD Card wasn’t so important to me but removable battery is! So far, I’ve survived with a non-removable battery but I am MUCH more tied to a power outlet than I would like. I used to NEVER charge my phone, kept all radios on and brightness on high and I just never cared about battery life because I had 2 spares on standby in case I needed them. Can’t do that anymore. :-(

• ReaL_MaD

I would go with the Nexus 4 16GB.

I don`t think the lack of expandable memory is such a big deal – I am sure that it would not be a huge issues if you have to transfer some pics/movies to to your hard drive/cloud storage every once in a while when the internal memory is getting full.

The overall value of the Nexus 4 is just so much more than the current price. That is why it is constantly out of stock – it is an incredibly phone at an incredible price.

• Nicholas Rynjah

If expandable memory and removable is what u need then go for the S3.
    If stock android is what you need then I’d say the Nexus 4.

• Krzysztof

Nexus 4 all the way, if you need expandable memory go with USB OTG.

I’ve had the same SD card in my Droid 3 (same one from my OG Droid) and it is just full of crap.

I have an N4 and it is an amazing device, being able to customize the softkeys is pretty awesome too.

• LucenNox

Just saying, OTG doesn’t work on the Nexus 4, and when they do get it working (and I have absolutely no doubt they will eventually) it will likely require an external battery.

• Samar

I personally prefer Nexus..Yes it has few demerits like non-removable battery, no external storage and All..which are pretty important ..mind You. but I feel like, in this dynamic market of cell phones..where something new & better comes along in less than 6 months time-frame, spending 500-600 bucks on device isn’t worth it..especially if You’re a newbie to the ecosystem. Yes, You can get it cheap on contract, but who likes to be tied down and eventually be paying more.

• bbmore2

I’d go with the S3.

• HackNet

I currently have the S3 on At&t. I have already ordered the Nexus 4 to replace the S3. The S3 is a great smartphone, but the Nexus 4 trumps all of the above(below).

• techvudu

some good points. the green blood in me says Nexus 4. Huge fan of Samsung though seeing that most of my electronics, phones, and appliances are samsung. tough decision but more than likely Nexus 4 will be in my pocket. S3 is a tremendous phone and the JB update on ATT makes it an even better phone. I think she’ll be happy with it.

• gmaninvan

If you can get one. I have been trying to buy one since it came out lol. Play store has an availability opening and it closes in like fifteen minutes.

• Jeffdwisc

I would say the GS3. In my opinion, if you are going to flash mods then the Nexus program is not as beneficial. Also, the lack of expandable memory could be an issue based upon your statements.

• sandy105

the nexus 4 is faster .has a better screen..and looks way cooler..
    plus all the latest updates as they come out :)

• LucenNox

I would probably say Nexus 4, but it really depends on how much you actually need expandable storage, and what for.
    Another thing you may consider is USB OTG. Personally, I’m getting a nexus to replace my ancient iPod, so I need the space for a lot of media, but that’s something easy to move around or play directly from a flash drive.

• DroidPower

I think if you haven’t already made up your mind, that means that you are at least willing to give both a try. Why not try them both and then return the Nexus 4 if you don’t like that one or sell the GSIII if you like the Nexus better. Or tell your friend to return the upgrade and wait until GSIV ( that’s probably a long shot).

• techvudu

well, my girlfriend is moving from VZW to TMO so she is getting one of them probably. right now I’m on the GS3 and really appreciate all the features. (even though I hate TW) with the new feature update coming soon I’m sure it will be even better. But I really don’t care about all that stuff in the end because I like my phones clean and fast. So *if the Nexus ever arrives I’ll probably end up going with that. I do have one in the house though to play with, so I am pretty familiar with both, just can’t use it on a daily since it’s not mine.

You are all right though, if space becomes an issue and for some reason my box, dropbox, sugarsync, drive, and Amazon cloud storage are not up to speed, I can always OTG. thanks for all the responses so far.

• kelltrash14

Nexus 4, no advantages offerred by sIII. More storage is nice to have, but N4 is superior in every other way. Also if you’re mentioning ROMS, nexus will have more options available eventually, including more truly different ones.

• http://jwtear.blogspot.com/ cutiyar neriman

Just Realize that Google Every made Perfect , so get Nexus4 , every thing is advantages in Nexus4 , the best thing is that u will be the first one get OS Updates And new Apps from Google , if u have 16Gb why u need expandable memory? so its ok in nexus if we cant expand our memory.

• techvudu

well, i have my SGS2 up for sale and currently am using the SGS3. I scored a GNex for the old lady and will be putting a OEM Samsung White shell on it. I got a good deal and she liked the way it felt, so could not pass it up.

The Nexus 4 has yet to arrive (even though my coworker who maybe got his submitted 10 minutes before me got his already) so I’ll be on the SGS3 for now. I rooted and cleaned up some bloat but kept it stock. The Rom does need some work but I’ll just sit tight and use it for now.

• s_rob

I dig stock android so I would go with Nexus4. You cant beat the updates & when it comes to expandable storage i just go with the cloud.

• TheVoodoo

I upgraded from SGS3 to Nexus 4, and I can’t even compare the build quality that in my opinion is the highest I have seen in the Nexus 4 device.

The lack of SD Card has not bothered me much, except for being unable to immediately transfer my non-Google-Play music and non-Google-Plus photos to my new phone.

As far as the battery, I have not had any problems hard rebooting by holding the power button.

The screen is of amazing quality and resolution on the Nexus 4 and of a wider aspect ratio in portrait orientation, which allows wider viewing of web pages.

• KingCrow02

I would prefer the Nexus 4 because it has more RAM

• MC_Android

Depends on the carrier you get it from. Some carriers have the 2GB ones. Not sure about the US availability though.

• jonstle

I would go with the nexus 4. I prefer the bloat free version of android and easy root of the nexus phones.

• MC_Android

Why do people want to upgrade in December?? Prices aren’t any cheaper; I don’t get it.

If I were you, I’ll tough it out with the GS2 (same phone!) and wait for the S4 or the HTC M7 or the other 50 phones they’ll release by February/March :)

• techvudu

UPDATE- SGS2 is gone, Nexus 4 is gone…SGS3 is staying..

despite all of your input (which is much appreciated BTW) I had to stay with the SGS3. It’s not because I chose it over the Nex4, it’s just that I had some financial responsibilities which needed to be paid immediately. The Nexus 4 was out of pocket money and the SGS3 was free. So in the end I really didn’t get exactly what I wanted but the S3 is really no slouch either. Rooted with a fresh Rom it fits the bill nicely.

I’ll surely be getting a Nexus 4 probably in the next few months when supplies restock and ebay Daily sells them for like $100 less. For not I’m stuck with the S3 (I know, suffering) and like it a lot. I hate when responsibility gets in the way of techlust.

Thanks again for the help geeks, Happy Holidays.

• SGB101

Personally I thinks it’s a better phone, better all round package, with having the battery and ex storage. Only real downer is the screen.

If your not into touch wiz, there are lots of roms about that will give you stock back(or closer to)

And the update argument is a bit mute when you rom, especially when it’s on a hugly supported device.

I have the note2 and atm, cos of the spen stuff, ive seceded to hold off the rimming. Until some really solid ones arrive with added pen support. And it’s running 4.1.1, so I’m hardly missing much. And if I wasn’t to play pure stock android I have the N7 to dabble with.

• thymeless

I’d take the S3 over the Nexus 4.

And I’m glad you had the option of a free one.

• Fiasko

I chose the Nexus 4 and have zero regrets. Used a few of my friends S3′s and I can’t get over that touch wiz mess. Build quality on this Nexus is amazing.

• aranea

The only thing I regret with Nexus 4 is lack of official accessories. Come on google make those bumpers and wireless charging station available.

• gmaninvan

In my opinion, it would really depend on what kind of user you are. If you are into a wide variety of cases and accessories. Or, if you are the type that isn’t into rooting and installing custom ROM’s, then either device would suit you but the S3 might get a slight edge only on the accessory support and the fact that you can likely get it cheaper on contract.

As far as the software goes, I hate touchwhiz. It is an ugly cartoony mess while stock is simply beautiful. I would use this as the definitive argument if the option to load custom ROM’s wasn’t available. That is the only way I would ever own one lol.

If you want my overall recommendation, I would say the Nexus 4. Nicer materials, non-pentile screen, and a much better UI. If you are a rooter, better developer support and more options. You also can’t beat factory unlocked.

Verdict: Nexus 4

• masterpfa

Both would make excellent choices.

There are, as mentioned above, countless factors to consider, expandable memory, removable battery, USB OTG as well as the immense numbers of options provided by Samsung within Touchwiz to deem the SIII a wise choice.

However I personally prefer to receive timely updates to the OS first as the introduction of Jelly Bean has proved with many existing devices only just getting 4.1.2 that along with the fact that hardware wise this is a very decent phone at near budget prices.

• thr970

Have the S3 which I like, even with Touchwiz seems better to me than my OG Evo. Would really like to try a Nexus device for the pure Google experience sometime. As an Android enthusiast, am happy that we get so many good phones to choose from. Something I think about is the next Nexus that we should start hearing about pretty soon!

• gmaninvan

Ya but it likely won’t launch until next June. If you always wait for the latest and greatest, you will be waiting a long time lol.