[Off Topic] DNA Genotyping for $100, today!

Posted Dec 16, 2012 at 6:04 pm in Threads > Opinions

Has anybody ever had their DNA genotyped before? I stumped across 23andMe the other day and I must say, this is really an interesting idea…

Ultimately, for $99 and some saliva, they will genotype your DNA. Their current technology maps about 1 million of the estimated 10-30 million genetic variants (source). While it isn’t perfect, most of these points are very indicative of the points right next to them.

Image via: Wikipedia and has been released into the public domain

I’m very tempted to participate in this to see what it says. I don’t know much of my medical history so I think it could be particularly helpful for me. If I’m likely to suffer from weak bones, heart failure, or other things, this would be very good to know! If I’m a carrier of some major mental illness and any children I have are likely to have severe mental illnesses, maybe that alone is enough to convince me to adopt children instead of have some of my own. The possibilities are endless and while not all of them are exactly positive, it’s still good to know specifics about things that will become problems so you can mitigate them and have a better quality of life!

This is a very off-topic thread – totally unrelated to Android but is the type of thing that geeks like us like! Also, note that I’m not associated with these guys. I just stumbled upon them and kinda geeked out. :-P