Pure Speculation: Android 5.0 on October 30

Posted Sep 13, 2012 at 11:32 pm in Threads > News

Andy Rubin is a speaker at AllThingsD: Dive Into Mobile on October 29-30. This is the same show that he revealed Android 3.0 on the Xoom in 2010.

Android 1.0: 9/23/08
Android 2.0: 10/26/09
Android 3.0: 2/22/11
Android 4.0: 10/19/11
Android 5.0: 10/9-30/12?

I think the timeline is setup for us to hear about Android 5.0 next month.

What do you think the Top 5 features of the next version of Android will be?
1. multi-user support
2. google tv update
3. google games center
4. android on more screens
5. ?

• redraider133

I honestly think if they do release another version this soon it is really going to be a losing battle getting phones updated. I mean ics isn’t even on half of android devices and that’s not even the latest version. Imagine how long it will take to get updates to the phones if they release another version 3 months after their last version. I am all for updates but think google can slow things down a little bit with OS updates, especially with all the added features jb brought.

• VB

I don’t think fragmentation is a problem.

Look at how great the iPhone 3GS runs with the latest iOS?… Need I say more…

The Android platform from even 1.6 could do a lot more than an iOS could do with regards to widgets on home screen, notification bar, ability to copy anything to and from the device…

You can buy handsets for $99 prepaid that have ICS. The LG l5 for example.

• redraider133

I never said it was a problem but if you are going to release an update that 90% of the devices will never see how is that going to make the platform better? I love android and all just think that users never got to experience the great improvements that came along with jb( loving it on my nexus 7 btw) to move onto the next version in such a short time.

• Dr.Carpy

I completely agree. Too many devices left behind makes no sense in taking Google/Android forward. Devices that can use ICS or JB need to start to do so.Without that, what good is an updates if they aren’t provided to end users? If JB is only for new phones then say so. However, if ICS and JB are for recent phones, manufacturers should have updates ready. 3 months should be the maximum end users should have to wait.

• LukeT32

The issue isn’t Google’s fault (well completely). Apple updated everything because they do not allow the carriers to have any say in anything. If Google atleast cut out that portion the updates would be way faster.

Per say the GNex on VZW. I am still waiting on my official JB update. I am rooted and running CM10, so it really isn’t an issue, but the fact still remains. Carrier control screws with a good portion of it.

As long as there are multiple manufacturers of Android phones you will always have touchwiz, sense, etc. That is the point of open source…. Just cut out VZW, Sprint, etc wasting all there time with testing and what not.

I run CM10 nightlies on my OG Droid and now my Gnex. These random developers from across the world do countless updates, with no major side effects, and it takes VZW months to even begin to think about updates…..

• orangestrat

I don’t think Google should slow down just because the other companies suck. Android’s strength all along has been its speed. If samsung and htc can’t keep up, neither can apple and microsoft. Even if they delay KLP until ICS hits some arbitrary number of handsets, it’ll still take 6 months for KLP updates to start reaching the masses. They might as well start that waiting train while the features are fresh.

• zerosix

I can’t agree with you. Image Google making a new major update every three months. Imagine, somebody buys SGS3 with 4.0 and in a year the latest Android is 8.0, but you he is still stuck to 4.1 because of Samsung. He will probably say bye-bye to Samsung (and Android) and hello to some kind of fruit company. That means a lost client for Google. I don’t think Google is keen on loosing clients.
        I suppose, it will be a minor update. Not 4.1.2 (if they are going to show new Nexus-phone), but 4.2, maybe 4.5.

• orangestrat

Google’s sales pitch with Android has always been features. They deliberately didn’t polish the first few versions of android so they could focus on making it do more things. If they fall behind Apple and Microsoft on features, they’ll lose all of the sales. The handful of people who care about updates over the life of the handset are smaller than the people who care about features when they are buying the handset. Since phones are usually sold with the latest or second latest version, that is where google tends to focus.
          If Android 8.0 is better than whatever the fruit company is offering at the time, some people will feel burned and go for a fruitfone, but most are going to say, Android 4.0 was better that iOS 5, and now Android 8 is better than iOS 6. The new iphone doesn’t have Jellybean either.

• orangestrat

Photo syncing that works like contact syncing. I’ve been using CM10 and it breaks the google+ instant upload and picassa syncing feature and it makes my photo gallery feel so empty. I wouldn’t doubt google sees a (not particularly urgent) need to detangle picassa from the OS. I think it’d be very nice if flickr and facebook could aggregate all your photos in the built-in gallery, just like twitter and facebook are supposed to aggregate all your contacts into the people app.
    Come to think of it, the calendar should work like this too.

• orangestrat

If Sony makes the next nexus, Im betting theres going to be some more attention paid to making the camera interface more capable, rather than just faster.

• orangestrat

Its a long shot, but I think google is going to start migrating Chrome and Android closer together. The Chrome web store really needs to be folded into Play, and in the process, I’m betting we’ll see webapps start to sneak into our app drawers

• orangestrat

They really should just steal the T9 dialer and sapphire toggles from Cyanogenmod.

• orangestrat

They need to make it easier/more normal for apps to sync data to google drive. I shouldn’t need to root to bring my angry birds scores to new devices.

• orangestrat

To compete with W8 on tablets, I bet we’ll see an answer to metro Snap, though I hope it looks prettier than conerstone.

• orangestrat

I’ll stop spamming this thread with my half-baked ideas, but Google Games Centre is kinda your White Whale isn’t it, Taylor?

• kwills88

I really hope they don’t bring out another major update this year, instead, just add more improvements and features to JB and allow phones and manufacturers to catch up, lets not have another mistake like ICS where right now still only about 20% of android users have it. Improve the market and just do some all around updates for google branded products and just let developers have the time to switch their apps to the holo theme.

• orangestrat

Google sitting on their own new features isn’t going to speed up ICS adoption or make more devs use Holo. It always takes 8 months for an update to trickle out, so they might as well start sooner than later.

• kazahani

Your point is valid, but doesn’t it seem a lot like pestering devs to have multiple major updates inside of one year? They will have to revisit all their apps again to make sure they are up to date.

• orangestrat

That’s a problem, why? Devs make apps. Giving them new tools and APIs to use is only going to be positive. They work constantly, adding features and fixing bugs. Jellybean wasn’t a major update, it was a 0.1 jump, out of the hundreds of apps I use, I only have one app (gig beat) that didn’t make the jump unscathed. Hell, most of them made it just fine jumping from gingerbread to ICS. I never heard anyone complaining in the year they released eclair, eclair again, froyo and gingerbread. Moving quickly is good for everyone especially users. Devas love having newer, better tools a lot more than they hate working.

• matb

I would really love an Android game center. And a cleanup/merge of all the different messaging tools – SMS, Talk, Hangouts, Google+ Messenger all in one app.

And I still have hope that manufacture will bring updates more quickly – especially with a Nexi from 5 different manufactors and this new platform developer kit.

• orangestrat

Cyanogen posted awhile ago that the PDK has made his life easier and that it took a lot less effort than past releases to get CM10 to boot on different devices. Its still early, but it seems to be working. Someone at I/O said they were working on unified messaging, it just wasn’t ready for Jellybean’s release. With any luck, both your predictions are true!

• Bryan Stoner

Google glasses support.

• kazahani

The one thing that I want to see in KLP one that NO ONE is talking about: a set of minimum hardware specifications.

Think about it: if Google mandated a base spec for Android devices, it would get rid of a lot of the cheap Chinese crap that can’t handle newer software versions. This is a BIG reason why so many users will never see an Android version update: their bargain bin devices couldn’t support it even if the OEM tried.

• aranea

Also mandatory updates for companies.

• kazahani

This would be dangerous. OEMs and carriers might see that as Google trying to exert more direct control over Android.

I think as time goes on, we will start to see less devices come out, and fewer devices should mean better updates. Also, the new dev kit they created for Jellybean is helping out too.

• orangestrat

No one is making anything slower than the HTC desire C, and it shipped with ICS. A minimum spec is kind of a red herring. Any phone can run JB, even a G1. Most phones don’t have enough internal storage or aren’t partitioned properly, that’s why the nexus One didn’t get ICS. A lot of the time, there’s no real benefit to anyone to update a phone. If the galaxy S had gotten ICS, it would’ve been updated march or April, just in time for users to sell/retire them and buy GS3′s, its a lot of work by Samsung to buy a week’s worth of good will.

• kazahani

OK, so how would having a set of base specs not fix the internal storage issue? The point is to stop all the cheap Chinese crap devices from polluting the Android ecosystem.

• Himmat

Why does that bother you? Let cheap China phones be sold in China….doesn’t hurt you, does it?

• orangestrat

The internal storage is almost certainly specified by some kind of ‘best practices’ and guidelines, but manufacturers screw it up for one reason or another. Its not always easy to predict, that’s why google bungled the storage for the nexus One. Those cheap Chinese phones tend to ship with ICS and no android market, so they aren’t doing much to our market.

• orangestrat

Also, every phone in recent memory has shipped with at least 4gb of internal storage, so it seems that to include ICS, 4gb is a soft minimum. OEMs are getting the hang of it.

• aranea

I want something very simple: Ability to move the route on maps and then let navigation follow that one.

• matb

Oh yes! Although that’s simple it would be great! There are a lot oft (smaller and bigger) things Google could improve in Maps navigation and android car mode. For example, the phone app should work in landscape too. And it should read SMS for you while in car mode. It should also be possible to answer a call via voice command in car mode…

• kazahani

I’ve wanted this FOREVER. The ability to drag the line around areas that you don’t want to go and have maps re-route you. For instance, If your route is taking you on the interstate through downtown Chicago, you ccould touch and hold on the blue line showing your route, and trace a new approximate route around the city.

• David Baukman

Why would you want android to innovate at a slower pace? If you want your phone to keep pace with the speed Android updates? Get a Nexus, Duh!

• Bryon Letterman

Even though it will frustrate alot of Android owners who haven’t even updated to ICS yet, I’m always down for an update just because I have my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7.

• orangestrat

If Google announced that they were blocking task killers and antivirus from the market as the malware that they are, I’d be a happy camper. If they did a massive press release and said android has never needed this type of crap it’d be a massive win for the impression of the tech un-savvy.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Ok I admit I was wrong. I found out Android 5.0 is not coming this year…