Reviewing the new Nexus 7, what do you want to know/see?

Posted Jul 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm in Threads > Smartphones & Tablets

Alright AAM crew, I just got my hands on the new Nexus 7 and I’ll be doing a review on it for AAM. Wanted to hear from you if you’re interested in finding out anything specific about the device. Also, i have an old Nexus 7 if you want to see anything compared side-by-side. Let me know…

Also, I’ll likely be tweeting my thoughts on it from my twitter, @Brooks_Barnard, if you’d like to follow along.

• MC_Android

A controlled battery test would be nice

• Brooks Barnard

I think that’s a great idea, and something I haven’t done in the past with reviews but probably should have. I found this app I was thinking about using Do you think that would be helpful? Or do you have a better approach? I’m super open to ideas…

• mvndaai

Can you test if the headphone jack does microphones too? The old N7 doesn’t, so you can’t use any credit card readers like square. I just want to know if it does.

Also the old one had that weird flicker with auto brightness? They fixed that with the new one, right?

• Brooks Barnard

I can definitely check out the 3.5 mm jack works with a microphone. And are you talking about the low screen brightness screen flicker issue that may or may not be caused by poor wifi signal? I’ll try and watch out for it…

• mvndaai

Thanks for checking out the 3.5mm jack. Yes I was talking about that flicker issue. I didn’t think it would be a problem, but good to know anyway.

• uknowme

I can safely say that so far I haven’t noticed the flickering issue. I did have that happen occasionally on my OG 7.

• MC_Android

I believe that flickering issue was fixed in the rehashed first gen Nexus 7′s. I know when I bought the OG Nexus 7 on launch, it had the flickering screen at low brightness, and the edges were squeaky. My replacement model had the same issue.

When Asus fixed these problems in their manufacturing process, I bought one just to test and those issues were not present.

Hopefully the 2nd gen doesn’t suffer from this problem, but I’ve had pretty horrible experience with Asus Android tablets…and I’ve owned quite a bit.

• rc213

Battery test is definitely needed, I’ve had mine 5 days and I’ve yet to crack 5:30 of On Screen Time use with Brightness at maybe 20-25% max. Also the touch sensitivity issue seems to be happening to a lot of people. Noticed trying to swipe on keyboard, trying to copy a app icon from app list to desktop. In games like Words with friends and Draw Something 2 I didn’t notice it much if at all. But in Dead Trigger I put my thumb to screen for the virtual dpad and you notice the dpad moves around without the thumb leaving the screen and phantom touches? Either way I setup a Exchange with Amazon but they have no idea when they will be able to fulfill my order.

• SGB101

Can it blend? I await your answer sir ;o)