Screen protector for 7″ tablet, unbranded. How to find similar-sized device

Posted Dec 31, 2012 at 12:10 pm in Threads > Smartphones & Tablets

My two sons got a 7″ tablet from Grandpa for Christmas. Non-branded, but could be from MID. Boxes got thrown away, all I have to go on is the physical device.
I’d like to get high-quality screen protector for these two devices, but canot find a similar-sized device. Root cause: can’t accurately determine the size of the glass on a device without actually looking at one.
For example: The Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab, and Excite all belong in the ‘Android 7″ tablet’ class, but looking at a picutre of each shows quite a difference in the area between the edge of the display and the edge of the device. Also, it’s difficult, time-consuming, or both to determine where exactly the glass on the display ends. Does it end at the edge of the display? Does the whole top surface have a glass coating? I have the dimensions of the glass I’d like to put under an invisibleSHIELD (7″ x 4 ½”, 7 ½” diagonal), but don’t know which device reasonably (as small as 6 ½” x 4″) matches these. Also, doesn’t have to be an Android-device protector. That leaves a lot of possibilities: B’berry PlayBook, Excite 7.7, Google Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 7, HTC Evo View 4G, HTC Flyer, Iacona Tab A100, Lenovo IdeaPad A1, Samsung Galaxy 7.7, or a Thrive.
Any idea on a best approach? Does it maybe make sense to visit a BestBuy/MicroCenter/Staples store and look at the tablets they have on display?
Thanks in advance.