Texting while driving is a serious problem. Recent surveys reveal that half of teens admit to texting while behind the wheel of a car. Developers have recognized this issue and begun releasing mobile applications to address it.
DriveSafe.ly is a free mobile application that reads text messages and emails aloud and automatically responds. The service launched today for Android and BlackBerry and is coming soon to iPhone and Windows Mobile.
Developed by iSpeech.org founder Heath Ahrens, DriveSafe.ly utilizes iSpeech.org software as a service to convert text into the highest quality speech available and automatically reads incoming text and email messages aloud through a mobile phone’s speaker or Bluetooth. In addition, DriveSafe.ly can automatically send a response to every incoming email and text message, letting senders know that the recipient is driving and will respond upon arrival at his or her destination. Users can customize or disable their auto-response message and change it as often as desired.
“The problem of texting while driving is already huge and steadily growing,” said Ahrens. “With the advent of mobile email and text messaging, people are constantly reading and typing messages out on their mobile device, even while behind the wheel. Unfortunately, people’s lives are put at risk by distracted driving every time we text or email while operating a vehicle. We developed DriveSafe.ly to allow people to stay connected via text messages and emails, but to do so in a responsible and safe way.”
- Reads your text messages and emails out loud in real time
- Hands Free – No need to touch the phone while driving
- One-touch activation – no complicated setup
- Bluetooth and radio transmitter compatible
- Reads text message shorthand (lol, brb)
- Optional customizable auto-responder
- Eliminates texting while driving and reading emails while driving
- Safely stay connected while reducing distracted driving
- Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road
- Be safer and more productive during your commute
- Lightweight app doesn’t slow down phone or drain battery
- Flexible app allows many customization options
Users can download a free version from the DriveSafe.ly site, but it is limited to reading 25 words per message and only features a female voice. These restrictions can be removed with a premium account which cost $3.95 a month or a $13.95 one time fee.