Today T-Mobile started pushing out a new over the air update to the G2 that adds WiFi calling and tethering. You can wait a few days and receive it automagically or you can manually install it now. Full instructions after the jump.
This update is intended for unmodified T-Mobile G2s that are running the current stock version of Android 2.2. You can trust this process is safe because it uses the same update file from Google that your phone would normally download. Check your current built number to make sure you have the correct version before updating.
Settings > About phone > Build number > 1.19.531.1
Once you have confirmed you have build number 1.19.531.1, you can upgrade to 1.22.531.8:
- Download the latest Android 2.2 firmware from Google: e4aaacea73af.OTA_Vision_TMUS_1.22.531.8-18.104.22.1681.1_release_signed.zip
- Rename the file to update.zip and place it on your SD card (File update.zip should just be in /sdcard and not any directory or folder).
- Power off your phone then restart it while holding VOLUME UP and the TRACKPAD button and then hit POWER.
- Wait for the fastboot screen to load (screen with skating Androids). Use the VOLUME keys to navigate the menu to BOOTLOADER and then RECOVERY. Selections are made by pressing POWER.
- When you see the “/!” symbol, press the VOLUME UP and POWER button at the same time to display the options. You should be presented with a menu and one of the options should be “Apply sdcard:update.zip”.
- Use the VOLUME DOWN to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it by pressing POWER.
- Wait 5-10 minutes for the update to install and then reboot your phone when prompted.
The whole update process took me around 10 minutes and I experienced no problems. We don’t have a full changelog yet, so if you install the new update help us detect what changes were made by leaving a comment.
For more information on T-Mobile’s WiFi calling read the official FAQ.