At last! The beloved HTC EVO 4G is finally getting an update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread! Widely categorized as the best Android device of 2010, this little beast can hold its own even against some of the recently released devices. What could make the EVO even better? Of course, an update to the latest Android version, Android 2.3 Gingerbread would help. According to a leaked document, the wait is about to be over, and the Gingerbread OTA update will start rolling out on June 6th.
For the impatient tech-nerds that start checking the settings every 5 minutes, as soon as news about updates hit the web, there is another option. This update will be available as a manual install as of June 3rd, meaning you only have to wait until tomorrow (if you so choose to manually install it).
What comes in this new update (4.22.651.2)?
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- The downloads application gives the user easy access to any file downloaded from the browser, email, or another application.
- SMS intermittently sent to wrong and seemingly random contact.
- “Me” instead of “Yo” in SMS thread conversations when set to spanish.
- Multiple GMail accounts no longer sync after 2.2 update.
- Unable to charge a batter that has reached a state of discharge well beyond the low battery/power down threshold.
Of course, you can also expect the usual benefits of Gingerbread – improved, faster UI experience, native VoIP support, better graphics, and an overall boost in performance.
Rejoice, EVO users, the wait is finally (almost) over. Let’s just hope that this is real, and we don’t end up checking our phones every 10 minutes for no reason. Check out Android Central’s screenshot of the document below for further details on this. As always, we would like to know your opinions – What do you guys think of this update? Satisfied? Do you think HTC/Sprint took too long to release this OTA?
Sprint has just confirmed this information via Twitter! This is now official, so expect your updates as stated, EVO users!
Special thanks to our reader mikevo for the tip (on the comments section).