As it goes every time a new Android version is unveiled, everyone is wondering when their devices will be updated to the latest and greatest. This time around, the newest version is Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. This specific update is much more desired than the others, as the changes in the OS are very significant. It is pretty, it is fast and it is convenient. But the question remains the same: When will I get it?
Will my device be updated?
It is a bit hard to answer this question. We have already seen Motorola’s 4-step updating process, which they revealed last December. Such steps are Evaluation and Planning, Development, Testing and Availability.
The only device that has received the update is the Motorola Xoom WiFi-only (USA). Most devices are under Development or Evaluation and Planning. And sadly, the few that are expected to get the update during Q2 2012, are tablets (and a couple of Chinese phones). Most devices that have been approved for an ICS update are estimated to get the OTA sometime in quarter 3. This includes the Atrix 1 and 2, the Photon 4G, the Xoom tablets and the Xoom 2 / Xyboard devices. This means that the wait for many of you is still long.
All of the other devices are pretty much under Evaluation and Planning, with further details to come later on. Many of those will be getting the update, though. We know devices like the RAZR, the Bionic, and the Droid 4 should definitely be getting an update. But Motorola is still working, and we will have to wait more for the official details.
For now, we will provide an official list with all the details (at the bottom of the page). This list will be updated as soon as more details come.
Latest News from Motorola
- 01/18/12 - US Motorola Xoom WiFi-only tablets receive Android 4.0 update
Becoming the first Motorola device with Android 4.0, the US Xoom WiFi-only tablet started receiving its delicious update during January. It is a bit simpler for Motorola to do this, as it has no UI overlay, and the manufacturer does not have to go through a carrier to get the updates out.
- 12/07/11 - Motorola details their 4-step updating process
Soon after Google released the source code for Android 4.0, Motorola decided to go ahead and let us know how things work (on their side). This explains why updates can take a good amount of time before reaching the consumer, and is a great way to get an idea of how they make it to your devices.
- 10/24/11 - Motorola promises Android 4.0 updates to be released 6 weeks after Google’s release
Aiming a bit too high, Motorola promises that updates would start being rolled out 6 weeks after Google releases the Android 4.0 OS. Most devices still haven’t received the update, and won’t for a while, so it is evident that Motorola was overestimating its abilities.
Motorola devices that have Android 4.0
- Motorola Xoom WiFi-Only (USA)
Motorola devices that will receive Android 4.0 during Q2
- Motorola Xoom WiFi-Only (Asia Pacific, Canada, China, EMEA, Japan & LATAM)
- Motorola RAZR (Asia Pacific, Canada, China, EMEA, Japan, Korea & LATAM)
- Motorola Xoom Family Edition (USA)
- Motorola MT917 (China)
- Motorola XT928 (China)
Motorola devices that will receive Android 4.0 during Q3
- Motorola Atrix 4G (USA)
- Motorola Atrix 2 (Asia-Pacific, LATAM, USA, and selected other markets)
- Motorola Photon 4G (USA)
- Motorola Xoom 2 (Asia Pacific, EMEA, and LATAM)
- Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition (Asia Pacific, EMEA, and LATAM)
- Motorola Xyboard 8.2 (USA)
- Motorola Xyboard 10.1 (USA)
Motorola devices that will receive Android 4.0 at an unknown date
- Motorola Xoom (Verizon)
- Motorola Droid RAZR (Verizon)
- Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx (Verizon)
- Motorola Droid Bionic (Verizon)
- Motorola Droid Xyboard 8.2 (Verizon)
- Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (Verizon)
Phones under evaluation and planning: Might or might not get update, no estimated dates
- Motorola Atrix (Asia Pacific, EMEA and LATAM)
- Motorola Droid 4 (USA)
- Motorola Electrify (USA)
- Motorola Photon 4G (Japan)
- MOTOROLA XOOM WiFi + 3G (USA)
- MOTOROLA XOOM WiFi + 3G (Asia Pacific, EMEA and LATAM)
- Motorola Admiral (USA)
- Motorola Droid 3 (USA)
- Motorola Droid X2 (USA)
- Motorola Milestone 3 (China, LATAM, and North America)
- Motorola Milestone X2 (USA)
- Motorola MT870 (China)
- Motorola Pro+
- Motorola XT605 (LATAM)
- Motorola XT615 / XT685 / MOTOLUXE (Asia Pacific, China, EMEA, and selected other markets)
- Motorola XT882 (China)
Most of these devices are carrier specific and new. This could be the reason why they are not included in the lists above. But other versions of the same devices are. So do expect to get an update for most of these.
Motorola devices that will NOT get updated to Android 4.0
- Motorola Charm
- Motorola Flipout
- Motorola Milestone A854/A953
- Motorola Milestone XT720/XT701/XT711
- Motorola Devour
- Motorola Cliq XT
- Motorola i1
- Motorola Dext
- Motorola Quench MB501/XT5 XT502/XT3 XT502
- Motorola Defy Mini
- Motorola Defy MB525 (Europe & MEA)