The Pebble team is sending out a major update that’s going to make a lot of users happy. The largest piece of the update is that it adds support for Android Wear notifications, complete with interactions. Any app that has been coded to work with Android Wear will now work with Pebble to deliver notifications. For example, Pebble users can reply to SMS notifications from most Android SMS apps using emoji or their own pre-defined quick responses, of which they can create five.
Another example of Android Wear support that Pebble gave is that of someone using Square Cash to request money. Pebble users can approve or decline the request right from their watch.
The update also includes automatic updates of apps and watchfaces while the Pebble is idle and a whole lot of bug fixes and improvements. In order to take advantage of the Android Wear features, Pebblers will need to be running a device with Android 4.0 or higher. They’ll then need to update the Pebble app as well as updating the Pebble itself with new firmware.
Check out all of the improvements below.
- Android Wear Notifications. Reply and act on Android Wear notifications (requires Firmware v2.9+). See http://pbl.io/f for full details.
- Pebbler-defined replies. Set your own replies to notifications (up to 5, so get creative, buddy!).
- Reply from Pebble using most Android-compatible SMS messaging apps
- Automatic app and watchface updates when Pebble is idle.
- Support for Android 4.0+ devices
- Fixed Issues with Whatsapp notifications
- UTF-8 support in PebbleKit JS
- Bug fixes and stability improvements