On Tuesday, April 28, Verizon Wireless has confirmed that the aging Samsung Galaxy S4 will be getting a fresh software update at some point in the (hopefully near) future.
The support documents for the device’s update show that the Galaxy S4 will get the Android 5.0 update with all of the expected improvements, including the bump to Material Design, new lock screen notifications and more. Galaxy S4 owners will notice brighter colors within their TouchWiz apps, too.
Here’s the full breakdown, from Verizon:
- Android Lollipop brings the all-new material design offering fluid animations, vivid colored-themes, and 3-D views for a more pleasurable experience
- Bolder color and more fluid animations
- The on/off toggle button style updated based on material design
- The shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided for convenience
- Material design-inspired notifications
- Ability to set priority and privacy for notifications on lock screen
- Provide music control as a card to utilize the real estate of the lock screen UI
- Brighter look and feel, bold colors, fluid animation inspired by material design.
￼￼￼￼FLOATING ACTION BUTTON
- Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app’s most important features, such as adding a new contact or favorite, or composing a text message.
- The container will now have an optional folder-based UI
- The user interaction is reduced and the UI is simpler, so it consumes less memory
- Users who prefer the conventional KNOX UI (launcher base) can choose to use this option in the KNOX settings
- Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page
- Multi-window icons for ease-of-use during multi-tasking
- Now uses the parallax scrolling effect for easier access
The update appears to be ready to go, but when the software will start getting delivered to devices is unknown at this time. There’s a chance that the rollout could have already started, though, so if you want to give it a shot, head into Settings –> About phone –> Software updates –> Check for updates.
If you own a Galaxy S4, are you looking forward to the upgrade?