The NVIDIA SHIELD TV has become one of the best set-top boxes around, and the device’s latest update will boost its experience even more.
Today NVIDIA announced the SHIELD Experience Upgrade 6.0 upgrade, which brings with it a whole host of new features and software improvements. The biggest new addition is the addition of Google Assistant, bringing the full power of Google’s digital personal assistant to the SHIELD TV.
Owners will now be able to ask for a specific genre of movie in apps like YouTube and Netflix, or even just ask to play a musical artist if you want to listen to some tunes. All you have to do to call up the digital personal assistant is say, “Ok, Google.”
The SHIELD TV also includes a variety of other improvements and changes, including the ability to look at Google Photos, control smart home products, the YouTube Kids app, and much more. The list of all the new additions and changes is below.
- Google Assistant comes to SHIELD TV
- Turn your home into a smart home
- Vudu adds voice search and updated UI
- 360-degree video in YouTube
- YouTube Kids app
- New features in the Amazon Video app
- New apps (TBS, TNT, Tablo Engine)
- New games (including Metal Gear Solid 2, The Surge, Bioshock Remastered, Borderlands 2)
- The latest monthly Android security updates.
- The ability to stream DTS-HD Master Audio to older DTS-capable receivers.
- The option to power on your TV and receiver using both CEC and IR simultaneously.
- New setting for accessories to enable/disable double tap of the volume slider to pause.
- SHIELD remote upgrade to firmware v1.15.
- SHIELD remote with headphone jack upgrade to firmware v1.16.
- SHIELD controller upgrade to firmware v1.14.
- Dynamic refresh rate with mixed HDMI setups: Dynamic refresh rate switching now is now supported on mixed HDMI configurations (e.g. SHIELD connected to an HDMI 2.0 compatible receiver, then connected to an older HDMI 1.3 compatible TV). Note: we are investigating some rare cases of audio/video loss in these configurations that will be addressed in a future release.
- Customized HDMI modes: Select your custom SHIELD display output mode. In Settings > Display & Sounds > Advanced settings > HDMI settings, unselect Set to recommended.
- Select HDMI display modes to see the list of supported modes your display supports.
- Reduced video stutter when display refresh is set to 23.976Hz.
- Fixed cases of dropped frames when playing 25Hz content in Kodi.
- Improved image scaling for shows recorded in standard definition in PLEX.
- Added ability for Hauppauge dual tuners to scan for both DVB-T and DVB-T2 channels.
- Improved reliability of firmware updates for SHIELD remote.
- Fixed cases of local network storage access disappearing for German language.
- Fixed cases of protected content failing to play if TV is turned off during playback.
- Added HDMI-CEC volume control for Bose SoundTouch 520.
The software update is rolling out now, so if you have a SHIELD TV, keep an eye out for it.