Buy Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 or wait for Nexus Tablet (or Asus MeMo 370T)

Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:22 pm in Threads > Smartphones & Tablets

I want to finally buy a tablet with a Tegra 3 processor and I’m planning to get a 7″ for my wife, and a 10″ for me. The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 looks pretty attractive spec-wise and price-wise, but the rumors about the Nexus tablet and the Asus MeMo 370T prototype have got me debating. Any thoughts or opinions?

  • Taylor Wimberly

    Can you wait a month for Google IO? I’m hearing the ASUS-Google tablet will have some interesting experiences not available on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

    • amgala

      Thanks for the info, I hadn’t heard that news yet. I think I’ll hold out a bit longer.

    • Zagrash

      So you all are just going to let Taylor casually throw there out that the ASUS-Google Tablet will have some interesting experiences, and NOT ask for elaboration? =)

      I’ll bite – I’d love to know more about these interesting experiences that you’re hearing about!

  • TaoRenCe

    Yeah, I’d hold out to see what Google has coming down the pipeline. Then, when it is released, DON’T be an early adopter! Wait til the possible kinks are worked out.

    • Erik Hanson

      Ugh, wish waiting were that easy! I have had $200 burning a hole in my pocket since CES in January waiting for this thing :D

      • TaoRenCe

        I only say wait because I bought the G2x when it came out and regretted it. From now on, I’m waiting. However, if you have to buy now, that Asus Transformer Pad looks great!

  • Yonas

    i don’t see the MeMo 370T coming out soon even with all the hype about it at CES 2012

  • redraider133

    I would wait and see what Google unveils at I/O. I mean if anything by then the galaxy tab may be a little cheaper if the nexus tablet does not impress you.

  • FoxMcCloud

    Does anyone know if the MeMo 370T is going to be releasedat all? I’m just not feeling a watered down version in the form of the Nexus Tablet.

    • Wunako

      yea thats what i was wondering too, i remember i read somewhere Asus wasnt even going to release the Memo (atleast not in US) in favor of the Google Nexus Tablet since it was going to be the Memo minus Asus add-ons (tho minimal and i love them for that) and something major Google had up its sleeve

  • techvudu

    Mali T-604 GPU? Heck yes. Should smoke anything currently on the market. Good specs with heavy graphics at an affordable price tag should pretty much be an instant win. Throw AOSP on top of that and it’s gold.

  • Hue Three of Five

    I love my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0″. It’s a great experience using it. It has an omap processor btw. It doesn’t have tv out, but the IR blaster remote is awesome. ICS TW is smooth as butter on it. That being said might as well wait for Google IO, unless you absolutely want a tablet now. I am happy with my purchase.

    • amgala

      Thanks for sharing your experience

  • levelm

    In case your decision wasn’t hard enough, BJ’s wholesale has the 7″ Galaxy Tab 2 for $229.99

    I’m in the same boat as you, trying to decide. What to do, what to do.

    • amgala

      UGH! Why did you have to show me that link?!? J/K, thanks for the info, although it does make my decision that much harder.

      • levelm

        I say definitely wait. I jumped on that BJ’s deal (since I’m a member) and was extremely disappointed when I found out you can’t move Apps to SD!!! After I synced my Google account I had already used over half of the 8GB on storage. What a joke. Tablet is going back next week.

  • TraceYaromi

    Definitely wait, I was gonna buy the transformer last week and decided to hold off to see what google has up their sleeves, Possible Asus and Samsung Nexus’ from what I’ve heard

    • amgala

      I’m holding out for the TF Prime with the HD screen for myself.

  • noomninam

    My dilemma x-actly. My current plan is to order the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, save all the packaging materials in perfect condition, then eventually, when the time is right, stick it on eBay and make the jump to Asus or Google.

    • amgala

      I was thinking about that, but then you are taking a hit money-wise. If the Nexus tablet is still many months out, it may be worth it.

    • noomninam

      BTW, BJ’s adds 5% if you’re not a member, plus shipping and your local tax. I can buy it locally and do as well, sad to say.

  • Laurel laurel25

    I’m in the same boat. The Galazy Tab 2 7.0 is REALLy tempting, but I don’t want to have buyer’s remorse if the Nexus Tablet turns out to be really great and less money. I’d really like to have stock ICS too, rather than Touch Wiz. Having said that, the IR blaster is something that I can see being super useful, so if the Nexus Tablet is announced at I/O and I’m not completely blown away, I’ll probably go the Tab 2 7.0 route.

  • Sir Lancelot

    I have been following the Asus MeMo 370T (which was originally to be released in May) since January From all that I have read (and an email from Asus), it will not be released. It now looks like Asus will team with Google to produce a 7 inch tablet to compete with Kindle and Nook price-wise, but will have all the features of the Asus MeMo 370T. This will supposedly be released in July. I have been looking and waiting since January, so I will continue to wait for the July release.

    • FoxMcCloud

      I just read another rumor though that Google has changed its mind once again and is choosing Samsung to make its Nexus Tablet. I forget the site where I read the rumor, but I ‘m sure you can find the article with a Google search.

      Hopefully that’s good news for us 370T fans.

  • Mary Beth Figgins

    I’ve been waiting also. We bought an Asus Transformer TF101 for my husband and have not regretted it. He didn’t need the hottest and newest tablet. I will use my more than he does however I need a smaller one for carry easily. I can wait until July but don’t know that I’ll wait much longer. The Google tablet looks like it’s going to have lesser specs. I want the specs on the Memo and am willing to pay $250-300 for it.

  • Thomas MacDougall

    I’m waiting for Google – Asus, and hopefully it comes with android 5.0

  • Jiltedae

    Personally, I’d wait until later in the year for better pricing and more user ratings. I’m more of a ‘wait and see’ consumer; I like to make sure that I’m able to get the best deal possible on the best machine out there. If you wait until the holidays, you’ll probably be able to find more information about user experience of the three tablets you’re looking at and the price would most likely drop as well.

  • Jason

    I picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 a couple of weeks ago from Amazon and totally love it. I too was excited for the 370T since CES – but just couldn’t wait any longer. I thought the lower res would be an issue, but the display and performance are great. All the 370T/Nexus rumors were driving me crazy – it was much more comforting to see something solid. If Google/ASUS had come out with an official announcement, I may have been more willing to wait.


  • HG

    Tab 2 is actually worse than older Tab Plus, that was discontinued after less than a year.

    I would wait for Memo.

  • Daniel

    Sorry,I am not impressed at all with the settings,sounds kinda like when Google released the G1.
    Just got myself a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7″,I know the cons,believe me,but I like the one I got because it is also wifi+3G.
    I will root it,remove all the junk and set it up to my liking. Price was not that great $388,but I think it was not that bad either for a white and unlocked tab.