Update: This bounty has been claimed.
When we launched the first Android Bounty last month, I was nervous about how it would be accepted by the Android community. My fears were laid to rest by two awesome developers who stepped up to meet the challenge and went on to release their own applications. Alec and Justin, thank you for your support and hard work.
Today, we are proud to announce Android Bounty II: Mobile Quake. Yes, we are going to bring Quake to the Android mobile platform. I know this is possible and I’m excited to see what the community can come up with.
I actually believe this Bounty will be quite easy for someone to acheive. Quake was first released in 1996 and the source code was released by 1999. In 2002, Quake was ported to the Pocket PC. Believe it not, Quake was even demoed on early G1 hardware by Andy Rubin. Now is the time to bring it to all Android users.
In order to claim this Bounty, we have two requirements:
- Port Quake to Android in a playable format.
- Enable multiplayer over WiFi.
As for the Bounty rules, we are making a few changes so take note.
- If you would like to accept the challenge, send us your info and we will maintain a list of everyone involved on this page.
- The first developer or team to send us a working .apk will be awarded the winner.
- The developer is free to do whatever they like with the code after that, but we encourage you to make it available to all Android users.
In order to guarentee the Bounty, we will be using PayPal which will allow anyone to donate money(see link at bottom). All money donated, will go directly to the developer. The preferred method of payment to the winner will also be PayPal, but we can make other arrangements if necessary.
So what do you get for donating to the bounty?
- A free copy of the working application.
- Text link on this page for donations over $10
- 125×125 Banner on this page for donations over $25
- 468×60 Banner on this page for donations over $50
- A tingle up your leg knowing you contributed to bringing multiplayer gaming to Android.
What does the developer get?
- Experience and a better understanding the Android platform.
- The full power of Android and Me to promote your application.
- (Optional) Have your work published by Android and Me on the Market.
- The chance to market your skills and talents to a large Android community.
- Make new contacts that will lead to further work.
Let the games begin! If you have any questions, please don’t hold back. If you want to flame us, we encourage that too. Make your voice heard so we can continue to improve and expand the Android Bounty program. The more people that donate, the sooner we will see this released. Bookmark this page or subscribe to our RSS feed for updates.
Current Developers: TBA
Current Bounty: $261 (22 donations)
(Payments will be held with PayPal until this Bounty is complete and then transferred to the winner.)