Sep 09 AT 3:51 PM Taylor Wimberly 21 Comments

Android 2.0 coming later than expected

We just received new information that suggest the launch of Android 2.0 might be coming later than we were expecting. I have been reporting that the Motorola Sholes would be the first phone to feature Android 2.0 and that it was widely expected to launch in late October. New documents I have seen now list early December as the launch date for the Motorola Sholes and Android 2.0.

There has been no official release date given for either launch, so I’m not sure if it is fair to call this a delay. I have often wondered how Google could deliver Android 2.0 in its final form by the end of October. I believe the hardware is on track and that the software is the main reason for this new launch window. Google has no public roadmap or deadlines for Android 2.0 and I suspect this was done on purpose to avoid criticism of a delay.

Analysts are concerned about Motorola’s track record of launching phones in the fourth quarter. During the last Motorola earnings call,  people were asking what kind of volumes they should expect from the two Android phones that are set to launch this holiday season. Motorola has previously made promises of phones to be launched in Q4 only to see them launched very late in Q4.

Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha responded to the concerns. “With respect to launching devices in fourth quarter, we understand what it takes to launch devices in fourth quarter and when it needs to be launched. And I feel pretty comfortable that we’ll launch devices, so that we will see meaningful volume in fourth quarter. I understand of course that there is a track record that you allude to. We’re very, very focused on making sure that we deliver it in such a way that allows operators the opportunity to get behind the devices again, in a meaningful way.”

Hopefully, Motorola will clear this up tomorrow at their press event. We fully expect to get some hard details on the upcoming T-Mobile Morrison and Verizon Sholes.

1. Android 2.0 alias Eclair pourrait sortir plus tard que prévu | Android-FranceGuest 6 years ago

[...] Android and Me. Wikio A lire aussi:Le Motorola Sholes sera commercialisé sous Eclair (Android 2.0)Des [...]

2. RazpGuest 6 years ago

No way… Please, Moto, do it! I want sholes even with android 1.5-1.6… You can update the software later… C’mon =(

3. Carl CGuest 6 years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I want donut now :(

4. beachGuest 6 years ago

today’s announcement confirms your source it would seem. Cliq comes with Android 1.5 and they mentioned that the would announce another phone in the next few weeks.

I.e. their waiting until it’s ready to announce… and December will be the likely launch window.

5. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] Sholes at today’s event, but then received a last minute notice that the phone had been pushed back to an early December release. It now appears that the Sholes will be unveiled at Motorola’s Motodev Summit which takes [...]

6. I thought they told us that donut is NOT 2.0 ??

7. Esquire0399Guest 6 years ago

Donut isn’t Android 2.0. The Sholes is expected to launch with Eclair, which is believed to be 2.0 if I’m not mistaken.

8. pixelpainterGuest 6 years ago

donut is 1.6 and is already being incorporated into ROMS for rooted phones.

9. VicGuest 6 years ago

All I want for Christmas is FREE calling on my android phone using Google Voice and Gizmo 5 !!! I’d give my two front teeth!

10. dislikeGuest 6 years ago

This is soooo childish… all this “my insights” bla bla you post here… what does it lead to? Nothing! 99% of the time you make claims which don’t turn out. Criticism is well placed on THIS website.

but in the end… it gives me big laughs of this kind of unprofessionalism. *gg*

I only hope you will get removed from the planetandroid at some point.

• I admit some of my predictions have not come true, but I have always updated my readers when new info is revealed.

That is exactly what I did with this story. Other sites were reporting the phone would come out in late October. I found out it was coming in early December, so I made a new post to let everyone know.

• dislikeGuest 6 years ago

ok, big respect for not deleting my post. good sign. Just keep stay wit the real news and don’t post the obvious o the unknown.

btw… i like the new site design.

11. Android 2.0 Eclair 延期了? | 谷安——谷奥Android专题站Guest 6 years ago

[...] Android and Me的编辑得到消息说Android 2.0也就是Eclair系统也许比预期的要更晚发布出来了。因为我们都知道摩托罗拉的Sholes将是第一款搭载2.0系统的手机,本来计划是10月底发布,但最新消息显示它延迟到12月初发布了。 [...]

12. Se acerca la actualización de AndroidGuest 6 years ago

[...] Pero los cambios más importantes se esperan para la siguiente actualización, la 2.0, según Android and Me esta versión llegará a principios de diciembre, posiblemente con uno de los próximos terminales [...]

13. The Saturday Wrap: 09.12.09 | DroidDog.comGuest 6 years ago

[...] just yet. As for 2.0, sadly, it looks like the intended premier handset, the Motorola Sholes may have been bumped from October to December. [...]

14. christophersilvaGuest 6 years ago

Thanks for doing your best to keep your readers up to date,

CS

15. R0bGuest 6 years ago

AAAAWWW!! I NEED FLASH IN MY LIIFE!! HURRY UP WITH THIS UPDATE GOOGLE!! Q_o

16. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] we would see the Motorola Sholes at this event, but it appears the phone has been delayed to an early December release date. Check back later today for some new inside information on the Sholes. Categories: Android OS [...]

17. 音速工作室Android开发中心 » Blog Archive » Android 2.0 Eclair 延期了?Guest 5 years ago