Oct 27 AT 12:17 PM Taylor Wimberly 31 Comments

Google drops Android 2.0 SDK

One day after we called out Google for holding onto the Android 2.0 SDK, it magically appeared on their website. Developers can now grab the new SDK from the official Android site.

Hightlights of the Android 2.0 platform include:

Contacts and accounts

• Multiple accounts can be added to a device for email and contact synchronization, including Exchange accounts. (Handset manufacturers can choose whether to include Exchange support in their devices.)
  • Developers can create sync adapters that provide synchronization with additional data sources.
  • Quick Contact for Android provides instant access to a contact’s information and communication modes. For example, a user can tap a contact photo and select to call, SMS, or email the person. Other applications such as Email, Messaging, and Calendar can also reveal the Quick Contact widget when you touch a contact photo or status icon.

• Sync support for contacts from multiple data sources including Exchange. Handset manufacturers can choose whether or not to include Exchange support in their devices.
  • New way to hover on a person to see more info and select communication mode (for example, phone, SMS, email).

• Exchange support.
  • Combined inbox to browse email from multiple accounts in one page.

Messaging

• Search functionality for all saved SMS and MMS messages.
  • Auto delete the oldest messages in a conversation when a defined limit is reached.

Camera

• Built-in flash support
  • Digital zoom
  • Scene mode
  • White balance
  • Color effect
  • Macro focus

Android virtual keyboard

• An improved keyboard layout to makes it easier to hit the correct characters and improve typing speed.
  • The framework’s multi-touch support ensures that key presses aren’t missed while typing rapidly with two fingers.
  • A smarter dictionary learns from word usage and automatically includes contact names as suggestions.

Browser

• Refreshed UI with actionable browser URL bar enables users to directly tap the address bar for instant searches and navigation.
  • Bookmarks with web page thumbnails.
  • Support for double-tap zoom.
  • Support for HTML5:
    • Database API support, for client-side databases using SQL.
    • Application cache support, for offline applications.
    • Geolocation API support, to provide location information about the device.
    • <video> tag support in fullscreen mode.

Calendar

• Agenda view provides infinite scrolling.
  • Events indicate the attending status for each invitee.
  • Invite new guests to events.

Media Framework

Revamped graphics architecture for improved performance that enables better hardware acceleration.

Bluetooth

• Bluetooth 2.1
  • New BT profiles: Object Push Profile (OPP) and Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)

New Framework APIs

Android 2.0 includes several new developer APIs. For an overview of new APIs, see the Android 2.0 version notes.

For a complete report of all API changes, see the API Differences Report.

• http://twitter.com/cheeseking CheeseKing

and this is why I love Google

As soon as you call them out on something, they generally fix/address the issue asap.

Lets hope someone ports eclair to the G1 now :) cuz it sucks being punished for being an early adopter (I got mine the day it came out on T-Mo)

• http://www.twitter.com/the_real_newman @the_real_newman

smart move google! dont get your name mixed up with apple. secrecy has no place in open source :-)

• Vineares

• http://www.androinica.com AndrewKam

• jdeslip

Has anyone heard for sure if this is or is not coming to the G1?

• http://www.nexsoftware.net Justin Shapcott

No word. I am installing the SDK now, we’ll see just how big the system image is.

• TravLadin

Cool cant wait to see these features in the next CM ROM….

• http://www.nexsoftware.net Justin Shapcott

We’ll see if/when the 2.0 code gets dumped to AOSP.

• FFTO

I’m exited about the multitouch!! woho!

• Chrees

Damn, I can’t get the video to work from my phone! Could anyone get me the actual YouTube link, please?

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly
      • Chrees

Thanks! Too bad you’re not able to view it on a mobile device though. Kinda weird, considering it’s a video about Android… :/

Ah well, I’m at a desktop now. Looks great!

• newspeak

So I wonder what phone will be the first in consumer hands with eclair …my guess is the g1 and the magic

• http://www.nexsoftware.net Justin Shapcott

My guess is the Motorola Droid due out in less than two weeks. ;)

• J.

My guess is that less than 24hrs after a code drop to the tree XRom will have a working bash running on a Sapphire. SO *technically* that would be the first one in the wild…IF Goog checks code in before the launch (they really should), and IF the framework will fit (it should, at least on the Sapphire, us poor saps on the Dream are likely SOL).

But yeah, no-root, retail? The DROID.

• Rasmus Roege

What is the instant messaging application used in this preview called? Is it available on the Android market? (the app referred to by the android image in the contacts quick list 3rd from the left)

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• newspeak

well yeah …but it was sort of a joke …i wouldn’t be surprised if it was ported to the g1 or magic before the droid comes out

• jd

A pink android! i want that!

• carig

the multi-touch virtual keyboard is big news, from what i understand that’s one of the main reasons the iphone’s virtual keyboard is currently more usable than android’s, and it pretty much spanned the threshold of me being comfortable getting a keyboardless android phone

so motorola droid vs. HTC passion decision: that’s one point for the passion

• mernen

• Bouke

I think it is kind of dissapointing what android 2.0 offers… Almost no difference with 1.6??

• sha

you do realize it’s out just 2 months after 1.6 ? It’s hard to be disappointed with such a pace, others platforms updates seems stucked in time compared to Android

• Nick

What do you guys think? Will Android 2.0 also be released on the first devices such as the HTC Magic/Mytouch3G and maybe also the G1 (but this one is known for his smaller memory so will they be able to fit Android 2.0 on it?)

I’ve personally got the HTC Magic rev A (256mb memory)…hope it is released on my phone, but I think the local provider Proximus will take quite a while to deliver their version of the update (any update like 1.6 or 2.0)

• Seth

It’s looking like a negative on the G1 (sucks for early adapters), but the MyTouch/Hero/ect should be able to handle it.

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Can’t Wait for Android 2.0 (Eclair)? Try It Out On Your Computer | GeekSmack()

• Pingback: Android 2.0 SDK Domination of the Blogs « James Hatch()

• Pingback: Game scope()

• Pingback: Le petit robot aime les pâtisseries… « Un peu de tout()

• Pingback: Android 2.1 update moved up from Q2 to Q1 | Android and Me()

1. CheeseKingGuest 5 years ago

and this is why I love Google

2. @the_real_newmanGuest 5 years ago

3. All I want out of 2.0 is the ability to customize the notification bar. Here’s hoping for nothing… :(

4. I’m sure they were planning on releasing it this week because of the Verizon event, but it can never hurt to nudge them along.

5. jdeslipGuest 5 years ago

Has anyone heard for sure if this is or is not coming to the G1?

6. TravLadinGuest 5 years ago

Cool cant wait to see these features in the next CM ROM….

7. FFTOGuest 5 years ago

I’m exited about the multitouch!! woho!

8. ChreesGuest 5 years ago

9. newspeakGuest 5 years ago

• My guess is the Motorola Droid due out in less than two weeks. ;)

• J.Guest 5 years ago

But yeah, no-root, retail? The DROID.

10. Rasmus RoegeGuest 5 years ago

11. Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] Update (10/27): The Android 2.0 SDK has been released. [...]

12. newspeakGuest 5 years ago

13. jdGuest 5 years ago

A pink android! i want that!

14. carigGuest 5 years ago

so motorola droid vs. HTC passion decision: that’s one point for the passion

15. I’m not too impressed with this SDK. There are glaring visual consistency issues on the normal-resolution graphics (standard 320×480, 3.2″ screens), almost as if they were an afterthought. I’m guessing that means it’ll be a while until we see Android 2.0 on one of these devices.

16. BoukeGuest 5 years ago

• shaGuest 5 years ago

17. NickGuest 5 years ago

• SethGuest 5 years ago

18. Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] that the Android 2.0 SDK has been released, anyone can load up the emulator and try it out. We understand not everyone wants to take the time [...]

19. Can’t Wait for Android 2.0 (Eclair)? Try It Out On Your Computer | GeekSmackGuest 5 years ago

[...] Step-By-Step Instructions to Install SDK [...]

20. Android 2.0 SDK Domination of the Blogs « James HatchGuest 5 years ago

[...] News: Android SDK Now Features Android 2.0 (Eclair) Support Taylor Wimberly / Android and Me: Google drops Android 2.0 SDK Nilay Patel / Engadget Mobile: Verizon’s HTC Droid Eris to run Android 1.5 on a 528MHz CPU [...]

21. Game scopeGuest 5 years ago

22. Le petit robot aime les pâtisseries… « Un peu de toutGuest 5 years ago

[...] Android and me : (en) Google drops Android 2.0 SDK [...]

23. Android 2.1 update moved up from Q2 to Q1 | Android and MeGuest 2 years ago

[...] The vast majority of Android owners don’t even know what OTA stands for (over the air), but if you read this blog you know what is in store. Android 2.1 will bring the millions of current Android phone owners full multitouch, Adobe Flash 10.1 support, full Buzz support, multi-accounts (and oh so much more). [...]