Oct 19 AT 11:50 AM Taylor Wimberly 31 Comments

Mozilla Firefox coming to Android

We had a feeling this was coming. Mozilla has finally confirmed they are bringing the popular web browser to the Android mobile platform. Om Malik had an interview with Mozilla CEO John Lilly and VP Jay Sullivan who shared their thoughts on Android.

“Until recently, Android was Java, but they released Android NDK which uses C/C++ and that is what we program in, so we are now looking at developing Firefox for Android,” said Jay Sullivan, vice president of Mobile for Mozilla.

Mr. Lilly explained the reason why we have had to wait so long.

“Sure, we are behind, but we didn’t want to do a browser that didn’t do the whole web,” Lilly said. “We wanted to build a browser that did everything – Javascript, CSS, Flash, SVG, video and audio. What that meant was we had to wait for a while for devices to get better to handle this modern browser.”

Another new feature was unveiled by Mr. Sullivan.

“Mozilla Firefox will be the first mobile browser to support add-ons,” boasted Sullivan

There is no release schedule for Firefox on Android, but a version has been spotted on the new Acer netbook. I pre-ordered the Android netbook and it arrives tomorrow. I’m interested to see exactly what version of Firefox is included with the device. My guess is Acer did their own port of the Linux version of Firefox.

How awesome is browser wars on a mobile platform? We already have the default Android browser and now Opera Mobile and Firefox are headed our way.

[via GigaOm]

• Till

Really exciting. The NDK should open up a lot of new possibilities and make Android more like vanilla Linux.

• http://twitter.com/cheeseking cheeseking

competition = a better product. I wonder what ever happened to that mobile version of firefox, it was called felic, or felix, or ferox. Something like that, anyone know what I’m talking about?

anyways I wonder if its based around that or a brand new browser.

• adil

i think it was/is called fennec, and it’s still indevelopment afaik

• http://twitter.com/cheeseking cheeseking

ahhhh fennec :) thanks couldn’t remember the name.

• http://matpreece.blogspot.com/ RamShackle

Woo Hoo,

So Mozilla thought Android would flop but now realise its potential?

• ear0wax

No, Android is Java Based, Firefox isnt, the android NDK adds C code support to android, thus allowing Mozilla to write firefox for android, says it all up there.

• Hendrik

We also have “Dolphin Browser”, which is quite nice. Not to say: the best current browser for Android. Especially when you like to share Links on twitter or facebook.

• Ron Amadeo

Cool. Now all we need is a phone with the 700 or so MB of memory Firefox uses to display a web page. That 10 second startup on a phone will be pretty irritating though.

• Bob

Don’t forget Steel, it’s a good browser.

• Rocco

Steel is a good browser, but the developer hasn’t made any updates in a while. It might be an abandoned project.

• Milind Rao

I love Firefox on the desktop. But Fennec is simply awful! I have it on my Nokia N810 and the browser just lets down the whole internet tablet experience. The original browser is a Mozilla browser, but not Fennec. I haven’t tried Fennec for a few months now, but the last time it crashed, was slow, had poor rendering, froze. It was in beta, but still – most unimpressive.

The default webkit based Android browser is much better. It renders much better, reflows to prevent horizontal scrolling, doesn’t have those annoying tiles that iPhone does when scrolling around. It still needs a lot of improvement – better windowing, background tab loading, faster loading, multi -touch etc. But even with it’s drawbacks, it’s so better than Fennec on Maemo.

• Hero

Multi-Touch and background tab loading are already here (at least on my Hero)

• chuksy

The clincher for me is having add on.I cant wait for it to surface.

• SliestDragon

• carig

i’m just glad because the android platform is becoming more open and easy to develop for, i was disappointed when i found out there wouldn’t be firefox for android just because it was (at least partly) android’s fault

as for the browser itself firefox is a good browser but it’s kindof heavy, and it doesn’t help that i got out of control with extensions on mine, i use chrome now and i can’t help thinking mobile firefox just won’t be as zippy as the default browser, just as chrome is zippy compared to firefox

• jambamkin

Fennec betas are available and the newest release features the ability for add-ons. It’s only available for maemo on the n800 and n810, so no multitouch. But I think it is ideally suited to Android and will be excited to see if It brings Opera’s mobile browser for Android out of hiding.

• JustAPhoneUser

Wow extensions and good old Firefox performance! Thank Google for c c++ Extensions!

I can not wait…

• Some Dude

This is really great! Firefox is really the best browser in the market. This is very exciting news, and will really set android apart!

Cheers to Mozilla foundation!

• Christopher Silva

I have always liked Firefox and am sure Mozilla will put out a quality product for our droids.

Good news indeed.

• Pingback: Pocketfox coming in December – Android and Me()

• http://www.cogspace.com Katie

Alright! It’s about time! I’ve been drooling ober Fennec since the first alpha, heh.

• Pingback: Firefox手机版Pocketfox将于12月装备Nokia N90 » Fingeroll - Android Collections!()

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Firefox on Android renders its first web page, no plans for iPhone – Android and Me()

• http://www.androiddestek.com SaNSaRaLv0

It’s big news for android!
    when flash upcoming android?

• http://www.android-tr.com gokberk

When is this come my phone?

• http://Website doddsie

Why oh why isnt there a HTC desire Mozila. ;(

• Pingback: The Droid You Are Looking For » Blog Archive » Firefox on Android renders its first web page, no plans for iPhone()

• Pingback: Game scope()

• http://www.gfjfgfg.com Merrilee Lindwall

I have been checking out many of your articles and i can claim pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your website.

• Pingback: Mozilla FireFox pe Android | WebBlog()

1. TillGuest 6 years ago

2. cheesekingGuest 6 years ago

anyways I wonder if its based around that or a brand new browser.

• adilGuest 6 years ago

i think it was/is called fennec, and it’s still indevelopment afaik

• cheesekingGuest 6 years ago

ahhhh fennec :) thanks couldn’t remember the name.

3. Woo Hoo,

So Mozilla thought Android would flop but now realise its potential?

• ear0waxGuest 6 years ago

4. HendrikGuest 6 years ago

5. Ron AmadeoGuest 6 years ago

6. BobGuest 6 years ago

Don’t forget Steel, it’s a good browser.

• RoccoGuest 6 years ago

7. Milind RaoGuest 6 years ago

• HeroGuest 6 years ago

Multi-Touch and background tab loading are already here (at least on my Hero)

8. chuksyGuest 6 years ago

The clincher for me is having add on.I cant wait for it to surface.

9. I like Loccy’s betterbrowser that comes with Cyanogen’s roms. The multi touch isn’t perfect, but it does work really well.

10. carigGuest 6 years ago

11. jambamkinGuest 6 years ago

12. JustAPhoneUserGuest 6 years ago

I can not wait…

13. Some DudeGuest 6 years ago

Cheers to Mozilla foundation!

14. Christopher SilvaGuest 6 years ago

Good news indeed.

15. Pocketfox coming in December – Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] Ok so Pocketfox is not the real name of Firefox for mobile, but what you see above is the official new logo. Firefox for mobile has been in testing for several months and will finally drop the beta tag in December when it launches for the Maemo-powered Nokia N900. No release date has been announced for Android, but we know it is coming eventually. [...]

16. KatieGuest 6 years ago

17. Firefox手机版Pocketfox将于12月装备Nokia N90 » Fingeroll - Android Collections!Guest 6 years ago

[...] Firefox手机版已经测试了好几个月了,它将于12月摘掉测试版的帽子装备到Nokia N900手机上去。虽然Android版现在还没有确切的发布日期,不过也快了。 [...]

18. Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] have known for awhile that Mozilla was working on a version of Firefox for Android, but the details have been limited. I [...]

19. Firefox on Android renders its first web page, no plans for iPhone – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] have known for awhile that Mozilla was working on Firefox for Android and now we have visual progress. Vladimir [...]

20. SaNSaRaLv0Guest 5 years ago

It’s big news for android!
    when flash upcoming android?

21. gokberkGuest 5 years ago

When is this come my phone?

22. doddsieGuest 5 years ago

Why oh why isnt there a HTC desire Mozila. ;(

23. The Droid You Are Looking For » Blog Archive » Firefox on Android renders its first web page, no plans for iPhoneGuest 5 years ago

[...] have known for awhile that Mozilla was working on Firefox for Android and now we have visual progress. Vladimir [...]

24. Game scopeGuest 5 years ago

25. Merrilee LindwallGuest 4 years ago

26. Mozilla FireFox pe Android | WebBlogGuest 2 years ago

[...] FireFox pe Android Published 2009/10/20 O stire citita astazi aici conform careia se pregateste o versiune Mozilla FireFox pentru sistemul de operare Android a celor [...]