Oct 18 AT 1:59 PM Taylor Wimberly 22 Comments

Verizon to unveil Motorola Droid on October 30

On October 6, Verizon announced a strategic partnership with Google to sell Android phones, but they failed to announce any products. It was widely believed that Motorola would provide the first Android phone for Verizon (who’s CEO Lowell McAdam was pictured with the secret device). After an endless stream of leaks for the Motorola phone, Verizon has launched a teaser campaign for the first Android 2.0 device.

Droiddoes.com is the new promo site for the Motorola Droid (Sholes). Verizon continues their direct attack on Apple and mocks the iPhone as the iDont.

The ad spot has begun running on TV and highlights all of the iPhone’s shortcomings:

• iDon’t have a real keyboard.
  • iDon’t run simultaneous apps.
  • iDon’t take night shots.
  • iDon’t allow open development.
  • iDon’t customize.
  • iDon’t run widgets.
  • iDon’t have interchangeable batteries.
  • Everything iDon’t

At the end of the teaser video, users are told to visit Droiddoes.com and the month Novebmer is flashed across the screen. The website is pretty vague and make no mention of Motorola, but it is pretty obvious what device they are trying to hype.

The following key features of the Motorola Droid are slowly rotated across the teaser site:

• Multitasking
  • High speed
  • Hi-res
  • 5 megapixels
  • Android 2.0
  • Speech recognition
  • Notification panel
  • Directions
  • Video
  • Tunes
  • 10,000+ apps
  • The Network

At the bottom of the promo site is a countdown. When you view the XML file, you can see the countdown date is October 30, 2009.

Mark you calendar for October 30, 2009.

Mark you calendar for October 30, 2009.

Since the promo video specifically mentions November, I would expect that October 30 might bring more details and the availability of the pre-order.

• Ross

I just saw this commercial on tv. looked sweet. very excited.

• poinck

Nice flame spot, but I am excited what it’s all about. (o:

• David

All hail Droid! :-)

• tke789

In the article you said that the site does not mention Motorola. That is true, but take a look at the URL the droiddoes.com links you to.

• Cypress

!!!!! I can’t wait to leave T-Shittle and go to Verizon.

• http://www.twitter.com/Se7en2 Se7en2

Just saw this ad during the Sunday night football game. Very excited, as it’s between this phone and the HTC Sprint Hero for me, so I’m very eager to see what this phone is all about.

• Jeff

The commercial said the phone is open, so perhaps no Verizon crippling =D…

T-Mobile take note, this is android phone commercial, not that MyTouch ad with Whoopi and Phil Jackson….

• Jeff

I will also keep tabs on droiddoes.com to see how many visitor it gets from now till the Nov 1st.

• http://www.mabilo.com Serg

This seriously reminds of Transformers. They should put Megan Fox in the ad and we’ll have a winner.

• http://www.lucasfilm.com/inside/ s15274n

Interesting that LucasFilm did the ad campaign. I like their approach, very cool and catchy. My wife knows nothing android and she is in PR… she saw the commercial and made a note that it was pretty awesome.

• http://www.ticketwarehouse.com Interestingly Average

I’m not overly surprised. From what I understand, “Droid” is being licensed from Lucasfilm.

• wolfmeister2.0

I really hope this thing will get to O2 Germany as well.

• maybeedee

^ I second what wolfmeister2.0 says :)

• Androidish

When I look at the XML file, I see October 28.
    I also see that when I decode it using the code crack published here:

• Pingback: Android and Me()

So does this mean people will stop asking me if my Hero is an iphone?

“Ooh hey, is that an iphone?”

*sigh* “No Apple sucks. It’s an Android. It’s Google’s OS for mobile phones. It’s really cool. You should keep an eye out for it on your next phone whenever your contract is up.”

*blank stare*

• naguz

Stupid people often does the blank stare, because they minds are often blank. Stupid hipsters buy and digg iPhones.

• paul

bye bye TMO, hello Verizon!

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: First impressions of the Motorola Droid | Android and Me()

1. RossGuest 6 years ago

I just saw this commercial on tv. looked sweet. very excited.

2. poinckGuest 6 years ago

Nice flame spot, but I am excited what it’s all about. (o:

3. DavidGuest 6 years ago

All hail Droid! :-)

4. tke789Guest 6 years ago

5. CypressGuest 6 years ago

!!!!! I can’t wait to leave T-Shittle and go to Verizon.

6. Se7en2Guest 6 years ago

7. JeffGuest 6 years ago

The commercial said the phone is open, so perhaps no Verizon crippling =D…

• JeffGuest 6 years ago

8. SergGuest 6 years ago

9. s15274nGuest 6 years ago

10. Interestingly AverageGuest 6 years ago

11. wolfmeister2.0Guest 6 years ago

I really hope this thing will get to O2 Germany as well.

12. ^ I second what wolfmeister2.0 says :)

13. AndroidishGuest 6 years ago

When I look at the XML file, I see October 28.
    I also see that when I decode it using the code crack published here:

14. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] release dates for the Motorola Droid (Sholes) were rumored, we finally thought the device would be unveiled on October 30, 2009. Shortly after all the sites reported about the timer on the Droiddoes.com teaser page, the [...]

15. noGuest 6 years ago

So does this mean people will stop asking me if my Hero is an iphone?

“Ooh hey, is that an iphone?”

*blank stare*

• naguzGuest 6 years ago

16. paulGuest 6 years ago

bye bye TMO, hello Verizon!

17. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] you ready for the onslaught of Android TV ads? We already have the Droid, Cliq, and myTouch ads and now HTC is about to launch a giant marketing [...]

18. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] the recent DroidDoes campaign that was attacking the iPhone, we expected the phone would be priced competitive with the [...]

19. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

20. First impressions of the Motorola Droid | Android and MeGuest 2 years ago

[...] acknowledge that the Verizon Droid (Sholes) exists, but the phone has been pictured by the AP, has ad spots on major TV networks, and now reviewed by [...]