Ok so Pocketfox is not the real name of Firefox for mobile, but what you see above is the official new logo. Firefox for mobile has been in testing for several months and will finally drop the beta tag in December when it launches for the Maemo-powered Nokia N900. No release date has been announced for Android, but we know it is coming eventually.
The mobile browser wars are about to heat up, because Opera Mobile is also headed to Android soon. It will be interesting to see which company can release their product to the Android Market first.
For a preview of what is in store, check out the features and teaser video below.
Firefox for your mobile phone comes complete with favorite and familiar features that you enjoy on your desktop:
- The Awesome Bar searches your history, bookmarks and tags to go to your favorite sites instantly
- Share your Firefox preferences, history, and bookmarks between your desktop and mobile
- Add-ons to make your browser your own
- Tabs that let you browse multiple sites at once
- One-touch bookmarking to quickly organize websites
- And more…
Benefits for Developers
- Put your innovations in the hands of people all over the world to access anytime, anywhere
- Tap into the device capabilities of the phone, such as geolocation, camera and calling
- Develop game changing add-ons on the first mobile Web browser to offer add-ons
For some early screens of Firefox for mobile, head over to Electricpig.