Fandango tipped us last month that they were working on an Android app and they just released the first beta to the Android Market. The application is centered around movies and theaters with the key feature being the ability to purchase tickets from your phone.
I installed the app to see how it compared with the current movies champ, Flixster, and found both apps had their advantages.
Flixster has extra options such as critics’ reviews, Rotten Tomatoes reviews, FaceBook integration, and quick links to sites like IMDB. Clearly, Flixster is the more polished movie app and offers the most features. However, Fandango includes the option to easily buy tickets from your phone, which is arguably the most useful feature.
Update (12/16): As many of our readers pointed out. Flixster also allows you to purchase movie tickets.
For only being the first beta release, I am fairly impressed with Fandango. The user interface could be tweaked and I would like to see critics’ reviews, but it provides the basic features that most people are looking for. Having the ability to purchase tickets with a few taps of my thumbs from virtually any location, pretty much ensures this will be a heavily used app.
A complete list of features includes:
- Find movies playing in your local theaters — search movies showing nearby, or view “Opening This Week” and “Top Box Office” lists
- Discover movies ‘Coming Soon’— check out our “In the Spotlight” titles or view upcoming movie scheduled to play near you
- Tap a movie poster to watch high-quality trailers
- View the most accurate showtimes; read fan ratings and reviews, genres, synopses, run times and director and cast lists
- Find theaters closest to you using phone’s core location feature
- Add theaters to a “Favorites” list for faster searching
- Discover theater amenities such as stadium seating and wheelchair accessibility
- Connect with Google Maps to find driving directions
Purchase tickets in a flash
- Purchase tickets seamlessly without leaving the app
- Buy tickets for more movie screens — 16,000 and counting! – than on any other app
- Sign into your Fandango account to purchase tickets with your credit card stored online
- Or securely store credit card information to your device — it’s your choice!
- View your purchase history to access ticket details
[Thank you @theartar for the tip]