Is Google Navigation the best GPS ever? Verizon thinks so. I’ve been using the new Google Maps for Android over the last few weeks and I’m loving it so far. Google continues to improve their Maps application and has just released an updated version that is packed with new features.
New Labs features of Google Maps 3.3.0 include:
- Scale bar: Shows a scale bar on the map with distances in metric and imperial units.
- Terrain layer: Adds the terrain layer to the layers menu. The terrain layer lets you view physical features, such as mountains and vegetation, with elevation shading.
- Popular categories: Shows a browsable list of category searches when you use the search menu item. The hard search button still gives direct access to the normal search screen.
- Layer button: Adds an on-screen button for easy access to layers.
- Compass arrow: Uses the digital compass to indicate the direction you’re facing while stationary.
The Labs features can be accessed by pressing Menu > More > Labs.
Google has also added the ability to report a problem with the map or a business listing and see businesses at an address or near a point on the map.
Note: The latest Google Maps is only available for devices with Android 1.6 and above. Keep contacting your carrier and requesting they update the software on your phone.
[via Google Lat Long Blog]