Dec 17 AT 4:02 PM Angie Wimberly 26 Comments

New Facebook app thankfully appears for Android users

Love it or hate it – Facebook is still a giant; and in case you haven’t caught wind of it yet, they have released a new app for Android users. The new app has improved common Facebook features (that were somewhat of a nightmare before when using their mobile site), but I’m hoping that more changes will keep rolling in to make it better and easier to use.

If you get the app and take a look around, you will really notice layout improvements that have helped the content breathe a lot better. In using the mobile site, I really got frustrated a lot with how often links were sandwiched together (last image in gallery below) to where it was almost always an issue of having to go back and try to click the link you actually wanted. With the app, you get a lot more of what you would need to browse through your friends, news feed, profile, wall – all that good stuff – with much less effort.

Facebook app home screen

Facebook app home screen

My favorite improvement so far is the home screen. It gives you six simple icons for your News feed, Friends, Photos, Profile, Notifications, and taking a photo. The gallery below goes through each one to show what all they have to offer, which again, I’m really happy with the layout improvements they have made overall. It just always helps to have a customized experience.

Another thing I really enjoy using now is the Photos section. Once you click into an album, the images get about as large as possible on the screen, with navigation that appears over the image once you touch the screen. Comments also float over the image, which is nice to see, since that also allows for the image to really be the hero.

Of course there are a few pitfalls users have been noticing, but these issues are still being confirmed with Facebook.

For one, you can’t access your Inbox to send or receive messages. And there isn’t support for Events, either.. Jason Kincaidon TechCrunch

fan page link doesn't work

Fan page link doesn't work

As for my own issues, I was unable to access our fan page through the app, or even through the mobile site. I tried a few things to find access to it, by placing a link on my wall and placing a link in my status, but whenever I clicked them, I was always taken to the home page of the mobile site. Also, whenever I tested the “Take photo” option on the app’s home screen, everything worked well, except for when I clicked on the image I uploaded it took me back to the mobile site.

However, I don’t think these small gripes are at all overshadowing the other steps they have taken to improve the use of their site. I am not the most frequent user of Facebook, but as far as what I do use it for I’m definitely happy with the changes. Of course, we always love to hear your personal experiences, so please share if you have any suggestions for future updates, or comments on the existing app.

Via: TechCrunch

Angie is a designer and illustrator living in Austin, Texas. She's a graduate of the Communication Design program at Texas State and joined us full-time after a two-year run at a design firm here in Austin.

• http://www.srulibroocker.com Sruli Broocker

I still think the Android Facebook app has a long way to go: none of the links work in the News Feed, I can’t access my Inbox, nor can I compose private messages to other Inboxes. Compared to the iPhone app, this one is very much lacking. They made this update, though. So I’m for sure keeping my eye on it.

• intelcookies

• thelazzyone

The links work on the news feed. Just long press and the you can access links.

• http://Website Flawd

They did well with this update, but if you use the application to take a picture, it scales it down. A LOT.
    Example: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4385977&l=3469a4abc8&id=511277728

• http://ogreen32.blogspot.com Orlando

I’ve been using this on my phone for at least a couple of months now. I have a rooted g1. I did get a little nervous when I heard a new one was coming out but when I looked at it on my fiancee’s mytouch I realized that it was just updating to the one I had. The joys of root!! lol. Take care all.

• Tim

I missed the facebook for iphone app we had before they took it off the market. This current improvement is better, but its still lacking. I wish I could upload videos on it too.

• Forrest

I still find Bloo to be better, if for no other reason than the fact it reads the live feed instead of the news feed. I keep the Facebook app around for the live folder of phone numbers and nothing else.

• http://Website Brian Douglas Hayes

I heard that the Facebook API doesn’t allow access to Events/Inbox, so I understand why the app forwards you to the mobile website when you’ve got those notifications.

However, it seems like a bug that it still sends you to m.facebook.com, which appears to be designed for phones with basic WAP browsers. Seems like touch.facebook.com would be a much better choice for Android handsets.

• miguel

I use babbler. Much nicer to use, but still can’t compose private messages

• http://Website Josh

is this an update to the version that came loaded on the droid? or just getting everyone on the same app version now?

• http://Website Ivan Pacheco

Have to agree with Forrest – Bloo still provide a better overall experience. While you can’t send or reply to messages in your inbox you can at least read them (yes, I know – not that great but at least it’s something). It looks like Bloo has also figured out a solution around the Event’s issue (there’s an Events section on the main menu). There’s even a very user-friendly approach to commenting and tagging photos (not sure if tagging is an option w/the FB app).

Yes, the FB app has made progress but it still has a ways to go before I switch away from Bloo.

• http://Website Krasen

Can someone tell me please, where to find the new Facebook application since I cannot find it in Android Market. I’m using HTC Tattoo.

• http://Website peanut_zwei

yeah.. me too can’t find it from Android market using my HTC Tattoo… i heard it is because of the screen lower resolution. Android market automatically filter out those application which doesn’t suits your phone model.. i was wondering when will facebook come out with the version compatible with my HTC Tattoo.. though i have email them regarding this, but never got any reply from them.. :( bad service…

• http://Website CJ

I find it ok but it really annoys me that Fb notifications take me to the standard mobile page instead of the touch page. It should be able to tell which to go to based on the phone it’s installed on. The BlackBerry implementation is the best I’ve used so far.

• http://Website Brian Douglas Hayes

The annoying thing is that Facebook already has a browser detection script in place. Typing “facebook.com” in the browser will redirect you to touch.facebook.com, as it should. If you do that on a WAP browser, it goes to m.facebook.com.

That’s why I think it’s a bug with the app. Does the Facebook dev team have a method of submitting reports?

• http://Website Reformered

It’s gotten better, but still missing features.

- I’m missing the function to open pictures from the feed without going to the browser. Now when I see someone uploaded some pictures, I have to go back to the menu, then to photo’s, then the right album and only then I can open the photo’s without going to the browser.
    - When I take a picture from within the facebook app, they scale it down to 256px × 192px
    - Clicking on notifications opens the browser
    - No inbox
    - No accepting friends

It’s too browser-dependant, something other facebook app (bloo, babbler) aren’t.

• http://Website l3reak

@Forrest
    Actually, the Facebook app does show the live feed, not the news feed. At least it does for me. I checked, Bloo shows the same feed as the Facebook app. I know because it’s a problem for me, I want to see the news feed instead, my live feed is clogged up by friends-of-friends putting up stuff I don’t care about, but my news feed usually has more relevant info. If there’s a way to show the News Feed instead of the Live Feed on Android, I’d like to hear about it.

• http://www.imsethstevenson.com Seth Stevenson

I’m still baffled by why clicking on a friends photo takes me to their mobile site rather than using that nice in-app photo browser they put in.

• stejpeck

• http://www.twitter.com/the_wrm Wayne

The only thing I don’t like about this app is that how fast it builds up data usage. There is no way to delete the data except to install and uninstall.

• http://Website Donovan

In a lot of ways, I preferred the WinMo FB app on my XV6800. I could upload video directly from the WinMo app, but not on the Android app.

• http://Website soulfire

The link between contacts and FB contacts does not work, it mixes the pictures up between contacts. For example my girlfriend’s pic comes up when my Dad calls. :-(

• CaptainJack

Ewww…

• http://droidical.com droidical

I found the touch version of their site to work better on the droid than either the fb app or their standard mobile site.

• http://Website Rosa Sanchez

• http://profilepics99.com/popular/miscellaneous/ profile pictures for fb

I was suggested this web site through my cousin. I’m no longer certain whether or not this submit is written by him as nobody else know such specified approximately my trouble. You are incredible! Thank you!

1. Sruli BroockerGuest 5 years ago

• Yeah i agree it has a loooong way to go. I mean you can’t even reply or comment on items within the app, that the most important part!

2. thelazzyoneGuest 5 years ago

The links work on the news feed. Just long press and the you can access links.

3. FlawdGuest 5 years ago

4. OrlandoGuest 5 years ago

5. TimGuest 5 years ago

6. ForrestGuest 5 years ago

7. Brian Douglas HayesGuest 5 years ago

8. miguelGuest 5 years ago

I use babbler. Much nicer to use, but still can’t compose private messages

9. JoshGuest 5 years ago

10. Ivan PachecoGuest 5 years ago

11. KrasenGuest 5 years ago

• peanut_zweiGuest 5 years ago

12. CJGuest 5 years ago

• Brian Douglas HayesGuest 5 years ago

13. ReformeredGuest 5 years ago

It’s gotten better, but still missing features.

- Clicking on notifications opens the browser
    - No inbox
    - No accepting friends

14. l3reakGuest 5 years ago

@Forrest

15. Seth StevensonGuest 5 years ago

16. For the most part, I like the improvements made to the app. It’s more functional, but definitely lacks some features. However, now that I’m being directed to touch.facebook.com even having to leave the app isn’t as bad as it used to be.

17. WayneGuest 5 years ago