Dec 02 AT 6:58 PM Taylor Wimberly 12 Comments

Should Android phones be pretty?

Should a phone be pretty? That is the latest question posed in one of Verizon’s “Droid Does” TV spots. Many people have criticized the Droid ads because they tend to target the hardcore geek, but it appears that hasn’t hurt the sales numbers. I believe Android does need some more mass appeal designs and I expect we will see more handset form factors in 2010.

How important is the look and design when purchasing an Android phone? Would you recommend any of the current models to your mom, sister, or aunt?

So far I think HTC has done the best job with their Sprint Hero and Verizon Droid Eris, but the handset makers still have a lot of progress to make their phones more female friendly. Of all the Android ad spots, I think T-Mobile has done the best job of producing ads that appeal to both sexes.

• DroidHead

Ok, I think you’re right T-Mobile has done a better job than the CDMA rivals. I think that the commercial, that sparked this questions is for the Droid, not for all Android. But I will humor everyone by saying, Nah.

I think Android devices can be as UGLY or “pretty” as they want… the whole point of an Android device is what it does over the competition. The level of customization (Internal and External) and the computing power. I have had most from Apple to WinMo, sexy to fugly and I will say that my G1 is by far my favorite. So, do Android phones need to pretty … Nah!

• http://Website ari-free

This makes the Droid the ‘X-Box’ phone. This is the demographic that wants high powered 3D games and apps. It’s a better long term strategy since they are the ones that will want future versions with more ghz and better graphics.

The question is…why didn’t Microsoft and Sony come up with this first?

• Tony Rivera

• http://Website A man

It really is up to the consumer. My girlfriend won’t touch a phone unless it looks nice aesthetically. She feels that my Droid is an amazing phone, but she would never want one due to its cosmetic make up. I definitely prefer performance over looks, and I have been known to really go for some of the weirder looking handsets. I originally thought the Droid was pretty bad looking, but I had a complete turn around the minute I held it in my hand. Aesthetics have never persuaded me to go with a certain product.

• Brian Hanifin

Personally, I really like the look of the Droid. Very simple and clean design.

I will say that my wife went to the Verizon store with me to check out the android phones, and we each left with a Droid. She did prefer the look and feel of the Eris… but in the end she wanted a keyboard, and she didn’t dislike the look, so she went with the Droid.

My dad and Sister also both want one.

• http://yellowrex.com William Furr

Anything is better than the creepy Palm Pre commercials.

• http://Website Scuff

Verizon’s marketing of the Droid is spot on. It’s targeted at the hardcore geeks. I think they’ve done a good job of tapping into the “manly man” segment who are little tired of the whole Starbucks/Wholefoods dainty girly man crowd.

My Droid is sweet. Makes an iPhone look like a toy. I make other guys embarrassed to carry an iPhone. I say, “Dude, iPhone?… that’s a chick’s phone.” Then I hand them my Droid. I say “feel the weight” I could kill somebody with this thing. HA HA!

• mernen

Funny you say that. My mental image of a “manly man” is very, very far from a hardcore geek.

Not to mention the majority of the hardcore geeks I know would disapprove your sexism.

• Mast3r_Shake

One easy way to get more girls to buy the Droid. Make it in white, and if you must…pink. the phone is already sexy as hell in black for guys, and if they made it in white with the gold trim girls would definitely carry it in their purse.

Droid is a total man phone. Feels good in the hand, nice weight, powerful with an HD quality screen. It does make guys holding iPhones look childish.

• http://Website JD

The Droid reminds of something that Deckard from Blade Runner would be carrying around….and I love it.

There’s room for both, as we’ve seen, but I like the industrial geek of the droid.

• http://Website Brian

I think looks/hardware design is very important. Yes, it ultimately matters what a phone CAN DO, but as long at it meets my minimum requirements for FUNCTION,then the phone has to LOOK good as well.

There was no way I was going to Verizon over Sprint, but had both the Droid and the Hero been available on Sprint, I still would have chosen the Hero, AND I really wanted a physical keyboard.

When I bought the Hero, at Sprint, I debated long and hard between the beautiful, yet capable Hero, or the butt ugly Samsung Moment that had both physical keyboard and a faster processor.

1. DroidHeadGuest 5 years ago

2. ari-freeGuest 5 years ago

The question is…why didn’t Microsoft and Sony come up with this first?

3. Is all on the eye of the beholder. I have a Verizon Moto Droid and to me looks sexy, professional, not like a plastic toy. The upcoming Sony x10 form factor looks very similar to the Droid. Now the G1 (to me) looks VERY UNGLY so the European version of the HTC Hero. Sprint and Verizon Hero looks great to me. The keyboard on the Moto Cliq is ugly to my eyes. So again, is all about personal preferences.

4. A manGuest 5 years ago

5. Brian HanifinGuest 5 years ago

Personally, I really like the look of the Droid. Very simple and clean design.

My dad and Sister also both want one.

6. William FurrGuest 5 years ago

Anything is better than the creepy Palm Pre commercials.

7. ScuffGuest 5 years ago