Jan 05 AT 10:55 AM Taylor Wimberly 16 Comments

Sony Ericsson X10 to be a Canadian exclusive

We had been speculating that Sony Ericsson’s first Android phone (the Xperia X10) would go to AT&T or T-Mobile and it looks like we were wrong.

So which carrier was lucky enough to land an exclusive deal for the device? Canadian carrier Rogers Wireless announced today that they will be the exclusive North American partner to launch the Xperia X10 sometime in Q2 2010.

At Rogers, we have built our legacy on innovation, bringing the most exciting and exclusive handsets first to customers in Canada…We are thrilled to be the exclusive Canadian carrier to offer this phenomenal mobile entertainment device.John BoyntonEVP Marketing, Rogers Communications

No price point was announced, but we expect the device to be expensive.

It is also ironic to note that upset Rogers customers will finally be able to purchase a phone with Android 1.6. They had been demanding that Rogers update their existing Android lineup from Android 1.5 to 1.6, but have been unable to get a commitment from the carrier.

The Xperia X10 is scheduled to launch with Android 1.6 and Sony Ericsson has stated that the device will eventually be upgraded to Android 2.x. Hopefully, Rogers has learned from their mistakes and will be able to deliver this update in a timely manner.

Sony Ericsson will be showing off the Xperia X10 during CES, so check back later this week for a full hands-on report.

Via: BGR

Source: Social Media Release

• http://puleen.com/ Puleen Patel

This news is both happy and sad at the same time. Happy to hear that finally an Android 1.6 device will be made available in Canada. Sad to find out that the hugely incompetent wireless provider Rogers is behind the undertaking.

In case you are unaware of this visit, http://www.iwantmyonepointsix.com/ to find out the details on how Rogers has proven unreliable when it comes to supporting their android customers.

The question here is, will Sony be responsible for providing regular (and frequent) updates to the phone os or will this be a finger pointing between Rogers and Sony, similar to what is currently taking place between Rogers and HTC.

• http://Website Derek

I guess SE wasnt serious about selling many of those devices then. To give a canadian carrier exclusivity for all of North America?? Come on, get real. Canada has 30 million people, many dont even have cell phones. USA has 310million people, many with multiple phones. Oh, well, its their loss.

• http://Website Eric

Nice math.,,,not

• http://Website PedCan

If you read properly, in the quote from Rogers, you’ll notice they say they are the exclusive Canadian carrier. Secondly, the percentage of cellphone users in Canada and the US is almost evenly matched. What an ignorant comment.

• http://www.iwantmyonepointsix.com ace862

I love that quote from John Boynton, “At Rogers, we have built our legacy on innovation, bringing the most exciting and exclusive handsets first to customers in Canada…” Except he left out the part where after they then leave their customers out in the cold offering no support to update those phones. What a joke!

• http://Website dinnu

It says “.. thrilled to be the exclusive Canadian carrier to offer…”. I read it as Rogers the only carrier to offer the phone in Canada – unless of course it’s inferred from other quotes not posted in the article.

• helfrez

• http://www.twitter.com/se7en2 Se7en2

Well, with that news, it looks like I can go ahead and grab the Nexus One. Makes me a little sad, but at least I’ll have the latest version of Android and not have to rely on SE to update from 1.6.

• Nico

I was thinking of getting this to replace my Magic, but Rogers has decided to bring Sense UI to both the Magic and the Dream in the next few weeks. And to bring 2.x with Sense later in 2010 (summer?), but only for the Magic. Dream owners are stuck at 1.5. At least they are getting Sense UI

• http://Website rob

the article here is wrong and misleading. the Press release says that Rogers will be the exclusive carrier for the device in CANADA.

Meaning that US based carriers are still more than able to take the device, the only limitation is that it looks like they will have to come after Rogers has released…

• http://Website David

God forbid t-mobile decide to carry the latest and greatest devices. If it is not outdated, t-mobile does not want it. I have been with t-mobile for 8 years now and other carriers always get the new cool phones, not my beloved t-mobile. I try to love them but they make it hard. Oh well, that is why they are number 4 and not 2.

• http://Website tyler

Rogers leasves you out in the cold for everything! This is one of the reasons I moved from them to telus for the milestone. No support no help and terrible customer service.

It is indicative of their customer service when they won’t grade to a higher software version for an existing phone. That is why many moved to android was for the flexiblity for software.

And I am not a cheap loss at > $130 per month.

Robers sucks!

• Pingback: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 spawns a mini me – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Rogers begins pre-order for Xperia X10 | AndroidWebPortal()

• Pingback: Game scope()

• Pingback: Rogers begins pre-order for Xperia X10 | Android and Me()

1. Puleen PatelGuest 5 years ago

2. DerekGuest 5 years ago

• EricGuest 5 years ago

Nice math.,,,not

• PedCanGuest 5 years ago

3. ace862Guest 5 years ago

4. dinnuGuest 5 years ago

• I was wondering the same thing. You guys may want to check your facts on this one. I read it as “exclusive provider in Canada” not “exclusive NA Provider”. NA isn’t even mentioned. For me this has serious effects is it were truly all of NA. I am holding onto hope that I can buy this device for a respectable price for ATT, even if unsubsidized, so new that its a carrier exclusive would me I have to switch carriers. ATT is a complete fail for me and Android.

5. Se7en2Guest 5 years ago

6. NicoGuest 5 years ago

7. robGuest 5 years ago

8. DavidGuest 5 years ago

9. tylerGuest 5 years ago

And I am not a cheap loss at > $130 per month.

Robers sucks!

10. Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 spawns a mini me – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] are still waiting for the North American launch of the Xperia X10 superphone and now Sony Ericsson has unveiled a miniature version. Codenamed the [...]

11. Rogers begins pre-order for Xperia X10 | AndroidWebPortalGuest 5 years ago

[...] located in North America, then Rogers might be your only choice to get the X10. The company has a Canadian exclusive on the phone and no U.S. carrier has announced support for the [...]

12. Game scopeGuest 5 years ago

[...] morning we reported that Rogers Wireless would be the exclusive North American partner for the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, but we questioned if the Canadian carrier had learned from their [...]

13. Rogers begins pre-order for Xperia X10 | Android and MeGuest 2 years ago

[…] located in North America, then Rogers might be your only choice to get the X10. The company has a Canadian exclusive on the phone and no U.S. carrier has announced support for the […]