Feb 15 AT 10:03 PM Taylor Wimberly 17 Comments

Hands on Motorola Motoroi (the next flagship phone for T-Mobile)

The Motorola Motoroi (aka Sholes Tablet) is almost definitely coming to T-Mobile. We have been reporting since last August that Motorola was working on the device and recently saw the FCC approve it with T-Mobile 3G bands.

Early rumors suggested the device could launch in March, but we know T-Mobile will begin shipping the CLIQ XT on March 10, 2010. Motorola could chose to announce the device at CTIA on March 29, so a release next month is not entirely out of the picture.

Our friends from and.roid.es got a chance to play with the phone at MWC and posted a video. They note that it is not as thin as the Nexus one, yet it is much lighter than the Droid/Milestone. The Motoroi also felt faster than the Droid (even though they feature the same internals) so it could be due to some software optimizations.

There was confusion over weather the SK Telecom version would include Motoblur, but we are hearing the T-Mobile version will have it.

Engadget also caught some time with the Motoroi at MWC.

Highlights of the specs include:

• Display: 3.7 inch capacitive touch FWVGA (480×854)
  • Dimensions: 60.9 mm x 115.95 mm x 10.9 mm, Weight: 140 g
  • Processor: TI OMAP3430 (550 MHz ARM Cortex-A8 +  PowerVR SGX 530 GPU)
  • Memory: 512 MB Flash ROM, 256 MB RAM
  • Camera: 8 megapixel autofocus with xenon flash. 720p HD video recording.
  • 3G Network support: HSDPA 10.2 Mbps, HSUPA 5.6 Mbps
  • Wireless: WiFi 802.11 b/g with DLNA support
  • Operating System: Andorid 2.1 with Motorblur
  • Other: 720P HD video out via HDMI port

• http://Website me

Hold on, flagship model? With a 550 MHz TI processor?

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

It worked for the Droid – best selling Android phone to date.

• http://Website felix

Peolpe who lack proper knowledge about processor and computing are the one’s who gauge cpu speed off of performance. Yes, the snapdragon is faster but there are valid concerns as to why it’s not the universal standard.

One is dumping all you’re processor speed into one basket as it the past has been known to be terribly inefficient. Cortex8 is a very capable chip and in terms of speed has reached speed of 1.4ghz all while sporting a 450mhz gpu.

Until developer start writing code to utilize the cortex8 its safe to say there no use yet for a 1ghz processor in a mainstream phone yet.

• http://Website Russ

Might want to check the definition of flagship. The N1 this phone is not.

This phone looks great though. I wish T-Mobile had 3G around me. I’d already have an N1.

• http://Website Jefferson

The N1 is not the T-mobile flagship phone, seeing as T-mobile does not sale it. The phone is sold exclusively through Google. Don’t tell people to check what they are saying if you aren’t going to.

• http://Website Brombomb

About time another Tmo phone w/ a physical keyboard, thats not crippled pre 2.0 with no realy outlook.

• ar910793

• Manly Man

thats exactly what I being saying! Andriod need to stop the bs and update all the andriods phones!

• http://Website sam goody

same processor as the droid. not as fast as the nexus one, but definitely a very high end phone. It even has many features not present in any other android phone, such as hdmi port and hd video recording.

• http://Website treefq

This phone has a dedicated GPU. So the proc doesn’t have to be 1Ghz. The proc isn’t handling the most intensive calls anymore. leave the graphics to the GPU.

All I have to say is props to T-mob for fielding so many android phones. They are really pulling ahead when it comes to hardware. (I am on Sprint). They gambled and its paying off.

• http://Website hank

I just bought the motoroi last night. My initial impressions place the phone as the best mobile phone I have owned in the 5 years I have lived in Korea. I know that people generally have the impression that phones in Korea are technologically superior to phones in the west but this is only a half truth. While free mobile television is considered very basic here, up until the motoroi, koreans have been far more limited in features that others would consider essential. This is only the second phone (the first was the samsung blackjack w/ windows mobile OS) that I can actually click and drag an mp3 file and play, which I consider absolutely amazing. Phone companies here have been very adamant about controlling (profitting) from the content (ring tones, music, video) delivered to their phones and every phone company requires media content be sent to phones via their proprietary content delivery system, evenc converting files was not an option. My other phone (Omnia AMOLED) was a breakthough in Korea, as it was the first phone that was DIVX capable, before that if you wanted to watch a movie on your phone, you had to maneuver through a very user unfriendly (all korean) UI on your PC to transfer video files to one’s phone. With the release of the Motoroi, all that has come to a much awaited end. I can watch movies, use the phone as a DIVX player via the HDMI out on my 150″
    projector or my flat screen televisions. I was concerned that the processor might not be able to handle everything I throw at it, but so far so good… their has been no lag in the UI and it plays media very smoothly. The 8mp camera takes fantastic pictures but Korean are used to having very capable cameras in their phones, although the xenon flash is a distinctive feature and although I have not been able to use it enough to adequately measure how much of an advantage it is over the standard LED flash, the pictures I have taken using the flash have come out looking very well lit. Although I am not throwing out the camera just yet while on vacation, after a few more pictures on the motoroi, it is very possible that I will be confident in carrying the phone as a camera. Downloading applications over my wifi are very quick ~350kb/s and websurfing is a pleasure (pinch zooming, smooth scrolling, horizontal viewing), while my experience with other phones has been at best tolerable. Two minor gripes… 1) larger Youtube clips tend to start off well but mid-clip buffering time is excessive (~15—25 seconds) 2) battery life is relatively short when all the bells and whistles (gps, wifi, bluetooth) are engaged, but this does not come as a surprise and is par for the course. Video and pictures of the phone do not do it justice, it is much slimmer and a bit lighter than I expected. I give the Motoroi an enthusiastic endorsement and thank motorola for finally letting me watch movies and listen to music without having to lug around another PMP device! I am absolutely ditching the PMP and there is a very good chance that I will lose my camera also. 3 devices in one!

• http://Website Gregg

Hank, what is the internal storage on this phone? I’ve read anything from 512mb to 8gigs. The internal memory is a huge factor for me. I’m so sick of the limitations that the HTC G1 has with regards to the 75mb of memory therefore limiting how many apps I can download. Please clear up this confusion I’m having. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

P.S. I know I can root the G1 I’m just not that into messing with my phones software.

~ Gregg

• http://Website Jet P

Hello Gregg,

according to official Korean mobile sites and a sales person in Korea, the internal storage is only 512mb. The 8GB is misleading in that (according to the sales person) is a microSD they have preinstalled with your phone.
        Plus, he mentioned that the memory space used by Google Apps is only 512mb.

Sorry, but until they update the firmware to use external storage to install Apps on, it looks like this phone also limits the number of Apps that can be installed.

• http://Website Ryan

Thanks for the great review. Good heads up as we are desperate for a decent android phone out here in the states.

• http://when'sitcoming? DC

I initially heard this was coming to the US beginning of March and now this article states end of the month – but otherwise, there is no news out there about this anywhere that I’ve found. Does anyone have any solid knowledge of when this might be coming? I’m holding off getting a phone (mine died so I bought a throw-away to hold me over until this came out) – but if it isn’t coming for several months, I can’t wait any longer. Any knowledge would be much appreciated!

• Pingback: The Motorola Shadow re-emerges – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Dell Mini 5 also coming in AWS version (aka T-Mobile) | Android and Me()

1. meGuest 5 years ago

Hold on, flagship model? With a 550 MHz TI processor?

• It worked for the Droid – best selling Android phone to date.

• felixGuest 5 years ago

2. RussGuest 5 years ago

Might want to check the definition of flagship. The N1 this phone is not.

• JeffersonGuest 5 years ago

3. BrombombGuest 5 years ago

4. Like the camera, HD video and overall design is a nice counterpoint to HTC. Really wish they’d boost the processor and give it a straight Android 2.1. Not A big fan of the long lag between Android improvements and them being pumped out to the Droid.

5. sam goodyGuest 5 years ago

6. treefqGuest 5 years ago

7. hankGuest 5 years ago

• GreggGuest 5 years ago

~ Gregg

• Jet PGuest 5 years ago

Hello Gregg,

Plus, he mentioned that the memory space used by Google Apps is only 512mb.

• RyanGuest 5 years ago

8. DCGuest 5 years ago

9. The Motorola Shadow re-emerges – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] receives its WiFi certification. That name is significant as the Motorola Sholes Tablet (or the MOTOROI as it came to be known later) is the MB710. This suggests an upgraded version of the MOTOROI which [...]

10. Dell Mini 5 also coming in AWS version (aka T-Mobile) | Android and MeGuest 2 years ago

[...] 2010. We are starting to lose track but their future lineup should include Motorola CLIQ XT and Motoroi, HTC myTouch Slide plus one high end (Desire ?), possible Samsung follow up to Behold II, first [...]