While Android users are speculating about what version 2.2 might offer, Canadian Motorola Milestone users are celebrating their ability to upgrade to 2.1. Motorola Canada released the update today, but skipped the over-the-air update in favour of a downloadable package from their website.
Users can download the package, extract it, then apply the update while their phone is attached to their computer via USB. Having just upgraded myself, I can say it’s a five minute affair. Users should take note that they are unable to make/recieve calls while updating, and will be required to restart their phones twice during the update process.
Release Notes can be found below. Something interesting to note is the ability to add even more homescreens, raising the cap to nine – I, personally, would not know what to fill them up with.
Animated Wallpapers and multiple home screens
- This additional wallpaper option enables you to select from a number of wallpapers that can move on your home screen<s>. A selection of animated wallpapers are bundled with the software upgrade — further wallpapers are available on the Android Market.
- The number of home screens you can have now also just got bigger — you can choose to have 3, 5, 7, or even 9 home screens — plenty of space for all your widgets and icons.
Facebook App and Widget
- A Free Facebook App and Widget is included in this upgrade. The Application enables contact importation including Names, Profile Pics and Status into your phones’ contacts. The Widget can be place on one of your home screens to stream live updates from your Facebook account.
Google Maps Updates
- Personalized suggestions: Google Maps on your Android device suggests (autocompletes) locations based on your personal search history on maps.google.com.
- Sync with desktop: synchronizes starred items between Google Maps on your Android device and maps.google.com. Sync and personalized features require a user to be logged in to myGoogle account while on maps.google.com
- Multi touch is now also enabled within Google Maps.
- Help : A new Help Center app is included that provides mobile access to your user guide, video tours of key features, tips and tricks, and FAQs to help you get the most from your device.
- Bluetooth support : support for Bluetooth headset multi function for initiating voice calls
- Security: Prevents unauthorized pattern lock bypass, allows for PIN security and local device wipe following PIN error input
- Music Player : Album art 3D gallery view supported in landscape orientation
- Battery life: ongoing battery life optimization
- Email account removal: Improvements to manual removal of email accounts