Apr 30 AT 1:39 PM Sean Riley 30 Comments

Flash 10.1 and Froyo are scheduled for a June release

Adobe CTO, Kevin Lynch, wrote a brief blog post on Adobe’s site yesterday as a response to Steve Job’s load of explanation for why they are not using Flash on their mobile devices.

The closing paragraph contains the nugget of information that we are interested in.

We look forward to delivering Flash Player 10.1 for Android smartphones as a public preview at Google I/O in May, and then a general release in June. Kevin Lynch Adobe CTO

So we finally have confirmation of our speculations regarding the big unveiling coming at Google I/O. Pairing this with Andy Rubin’s statements that support for Flash 10.1 comes in Froyo we can reasonably conclude that Froyo will debut alongside Flash at I/O and that the release of both will be coming to some Android users in June. Still up in the air is who those users will be and of course the exact date.

Now as we all know (and as they will proudly tell you) the N1 users are likely to be the first existing users to upgrade to it, with Droid Classic (Yes I just made that up) users possibly being in the mix there as well. But there has to be a launch device to go with it right? The Evo 4G seems like the obvious choice with a release date of June 6th or 13th and features which we already know stack up favorably with Cupertino’s latest, but everything released thus far has it pegged as an Android 2.1 device at launch.

So do you think Google is going to forgo a Flashy (pardon the pun) launch device this time, surprise us with the Evo 4G running Android 2.2 (which would be good news for you Incredible owners), or is there a stealth Android 2.2 device out there that we don’t know about yet?

Source: Adobe

Sean has been with Android and Me for over 4 years and covering mobile for the last 5. He occasionally muses about gadgets and tech outside of the Android universe at Techgasms.

1. rubenGuest 5 years ago

great android 2.2 comming out alredy and i still dont have 2.1 on my myTouch 3G

2. DanielGuest 5 years ago

There’s very little evidence there that Froyo will be released with Flash. Particularly if by “public preview” they mean offering something for people to install, not just showing it off on demo phones.

• It depends on your reading of Rubin’s statement.

I will say that I don’t typically think of a “public preview” as something that people would get to install on their phones, at that point it is a “limited public beta” or something along those lines.

3. jrbourque898Guest 5 years ago

I don’t think evo. Will drop with 2.2 it has sense on it I don’t see them releasing it on sense first at their own conference…I think there might be their own device with camera on front maybe that would be awesome

4. FrGuest 5 years ago

Google would surprise us if Froyo was running for the G1 ! That would be AWESOME !

5. PhilGuest 5 years ago

Its not going to launch on a new phone though selfishly I’d like to see it on an Evo so I’d know its coming to the Incredible quick lol. But honestly they are just going to show it as an update on an N1. Thats what they have this neutral phone for…to show stuff like this without pitching one phone and ticking off the other companies. They really should have just called the N1 what it is…their marketing piece.

6. mostlyDigitalGuest 5 years ago

Sean, are you being facetious about 2.2 on the Evo being good news for Incredible owners or is there something I don’t know about. Why is a 2.2 release a month after I buy 2.1 good news?

• Because normally it takes a while before the Sense UI is updated to the new Android version. So if they announced Android 2.2, people who bought the Incredible (like you and me) would have to wait a month or two (if not more) before they get the 2.2 update. His point is that if they show it off on the Evo, which is an HTC Sense phone, then that means that Sense has already been updated to 2.2 and can more quickly be pushed out to Incredible owners.

7. wallingsworthGuest 5 years ago

2.2 could be good, but I already have flash on my N1-
    skyfire.

8. what about public beta? I’ve signed up for public beta. Anybody knows that I will get public beta access before june?

9. MeGuest 5 years ago

Theres your public beta to be released in May.

10. mattGuest 5 years ago

June will be when the release the seemingly unending string of promises that the release is coming next week.

11. 支持 Flash 10.1 çš„ Android 2.2 Froyo 应该会在六月放出 « 移动天空 | Net Mob SkyGuest 5 years ago

[...] Via Android And Me&谷安 Categories: Android's Tags: android, android 2.1, API, froyo, Google I/O, Google SDK, 发布, æ›´æ–° [...]

12. Required viewing: Android 2.2 Froyo keynote with Vic Gundotra | Android Application [dot] usGuest 5 years ago

[...] Flash 10.1 and Froyo are scheduled for a June release [...]

13. Required viewing: Android 2.2 Froyo keynote with Vic Gundotra | News URLGuest 5 years ago

[...] Flash 10.1 and Froyo are scheduled for a June release [...]

14. 音速工作室Android开发中心 » Blog Archive » 支持 Flash 10.1 çš„ Android 2.2 Froyo 应该会在六月放出Guest 5 years ago

[...] Android And Me Related Posts:Andy Rubin 确认 Android 2.2 Froyo 将内置 Flash 10.1 支持Android [...]

15. Joel LucearGuest 4 years ago

Hey would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a fair price? Thank you, I appreciate it!

16. Darryl AlperGuest 4 years ago

Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

17. The Shack makes ready for Sprint EVO 4G push | Android and MeGuest 2 years ago

[...] Suspiciously absent from the flyers is the version of Android that will ship on the device. Sprint unveiled the EVO running Android 2.1, but it looks like Android 2.2 could appear this month. Sprint still claims the EVO will support Flash 10.1, which is tied to FroYo (Android 2.2), so I guess anything is possible. Keep in mind that Adobe also told us Flash 10.1 was schedule for a June release. [...]