Apr 23 AT 4:14 PM Sean Riley 20 Comments

Sirius XM Radio will be broadcasting to your Android 2.1 phone in May

Sirius XM Radio streaming live to your Android 2.1 device in May

Sirius XM Radio announced earlier today that a free Android app will be released in May giving subscribers access to over 120 channels via their Droid or Nexus One. (Presumably the Incredible and all other Android 2.1 devices will be compatible as well.)

If you aren’t a current subscriber the app will carry with it a 7-day trial subscription so you can test it out and see what you think. Once your trial is over there are a number of options for subscriptions and depending on how much programming you are after the monthly fees range from $6.99 to $19.99. If you want to look into it further you can check out all the available packages over on Sirius.

Here’s their quick rundown of features for the app:

• Listen to over 120 channels of SIRIUS XM Premium Online programming on the go, even while surfing the web or checking email.
  • Bookmark SIRIUS XM Premium Online channels for fast, easy access through a “Favorites” function.
  • View the current channel plus what is playing on all other available channels via the “Lookaround” function.

Nothing too earth shattering in the way of functionality, but if you enjoy Sirius XM Radio this should be a welcome addition to your app collection.

One major caveat is that the following content will not be available through the Android app; MLB Play-by-Play, NFL Play-by-Play, SIRIUS NASCAR Radio, and Howard Stern. Depending on your interests that could be some fairly compelling content that they are withholding so just keep that in mind. It’s also somewhat interesting as my understanding is that once Flash 10.1 is enabled on Android you should be able to just navigate to the Sirius website and listen to any and all of the content you have subscribed to.

Source: PR Newswire

Sean has been with Android and Me for over 4 years and covering mobile for the last 5. He occasionally muses about gadgets and tech outside of the Android universe at Techgasms.

• http://Website Onyx Mueller

2 things:

1) The pricing you stated is _only_ if you aren’t a Sirius/XM subscriber already.
    2) You cannot access online content unless you are paying for it. If you just have an account for your radio in your car, you cannot use it to listen to the radio on the internet _unless_ you’ve added their internet access service/package.

• http://www.technogasms.com Sean Riley

I did say that the pricing was only if you aren’t a current subscriber.

My point regarding the blocked content being accesible by web was more that they wouldn’t be able to lock mobile users out of it for long, but it is good to know that option would carry an extra fee.

• http://Website Kris

Will first generation phones get this to?

• @darifresh

• http://Website Mark

Unless they’ve changed it in the last year, the live NFL channels were not available online either. The NFL will not allow anybody to broadcast games online. (They don’t want to lose subscriptions to their own online service.) That’s the one reason I wouldn’t have canceled my service. I’m not in my car as much as I used to be, and the only reason I would have kept it would be if I could listen to Cowboys games that weren’t on TV in the Seattle market. Unless I wanted to sit in my car to listen to it(I did one game) I couldn’t use sirius for NFL games and had to pay for nfl.com’s service.

• http://www.technogasms.com Sean Riley

• http://Website Ryan

Will it have Stern’s channels 100 and 101?

• http://www.technogasms.com Sean Riley

• http://Website tim

You know, this isn’t a bad deal for either Sirius or consumers. This isn’t earth-shattering, but if it had the comedy, news, etc channels, it’s better than what I get via Dish Network. For Sirius, it gets receivers (albeit somewhat limited ones) into way more hands. I always have my phone but do I want to buy another piece of electronics? Not really, my phone (droid) is becoming an uberphone.

If I could subscribe via my phone bill? Even better.

• http://Website dustin

awesome! since here in hawaii we dont have the ability to use xm/sirius radio at all since the xm/sirius satellites dont come across here..

• http://Website Narflar

So what, SiriusXM is crap. Ever since the merger they just stopped trying. Now that I got Slacker I don’t need Sat radio. O&A, Ellis and Stern are available for download. The only reason I see keeping Sat radio is if you must have your music interrupted by a douche who feels he must tell you his life story before he plays the next track.

• http://Website Greho

Can’t argue with that. The biggest blight on XM is the creature known as “Madison.”

• http://thisisjohncoffey.com JohnnyACEâ™  GRAND MASTER SEN$Ei {{-_-}}â„¢

MSNBC Radio FTW

{{^_^}}

• http://Website Avondis

No MLB no NFL no NBA no Howard NO DEAL

• http://Website Greho

Awesome!

Since I don’t subscribe to any of the pay channels on XM, the unavailability matters not to me. If the programming, like the NFL, is blocked, odds are I’m watching that on TV anyway.

But the ability to have the NPR channels and the BBC World Service in my hand is phenomenal.

• Pingback: Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download | News URL()

• Pingback: Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download | Android Application [dot] us()

• Pingback: Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download. | Androsearch()

• Pingback: Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download | Android Phone Blog()

1. Onyx MuellerGuest 5 years ago

2 things:

• I did say that the pricing was only if you aren’t a current subscriber.

2. KrisGuest 5 years ago

Will first generation phones get this to?

3. still not a bad deal…wonder how it’ll compete with podcasts cuz android lovers love free

4. MarkGuest 5 years ago

• Mark, I think you’ve got it right, it looks like the play-by-play services including the mentioned MLB, NFL, and Nascar stations are locked down to only the actual satellite receivers.

5. RyanGuest 5 years ago

Will it have Stern’s channels 100 and 101?

• No they will not, but unlike the play-by-play services the Stern channels should be available through the Sirius website once Flash 10.1 is enabled.

6. timGuest 5 years ago

If I could subscribe via my phone bill? Even better.

7. dustinGuest 5 years ago

8. NarflarGuest 5 years ago

• GrehoGuest 5 years ago

9. AvondisGuest 5 years ago

No MLB no NFL no NBA no Howard NO DEAL

10. GrehoGuest 5 years ago

Awesome!

11. Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] knew that Sirius XM would begin broadcasting to Android devices sometime in May and Sirius managed to get in just under the [...]

12. Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download | News URLGuest 5 years ago

13. Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download | Android Application [dot] usGuest 5 years ago

[...] feed for updates on this topic.Powered by WP Greet Box WordPress PluginWe knew that Sirius XM would begin broadcasting to Android devices sometime in May and Sirius managed to get in just under the [...]

14. Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download. | AndrosearchGuest 5 years ago

[...] We knew that Sirius XM would begin broadcasting to Android devices sometime in May and Sirius managed to get in just under the wire. Don’t bother checking the [...]

15. Sirius XM Radio app is now available for download | Android Phone BlogGuest 5 years ago