Square is a simple payment utility for everyone. The service allows just about anyone with a smartphone to take card payments everywhere they go. Square is both a software and hardware solution. The application is free in the Android Market and the card swipe dongle will also be offered for free.
The major benefits of Square’s service is that no contract or merchant account is required. There are no setup or monthly fees and anyone can signup in minutes. In order to start accepting payment cards, individuals must submit to a credit check so that Square can verify your identity. Once accepted as a verified user, then Square will mail you the free Square card reader.
Note: Square is currently only available in the U.S. and requires Android 2.x.
Highlights of Square include:
- 0 to $60 in under 10 seconds: Start accepting cash and card payments with Square. No contracts, monthly fees, or hidden costs. Effortlessly manage the money you take with an easy and intuitive interface.
- Swipe it: Accept payment cards on any device with an audio input jack, including your mobile phone. After signing up for Square, provide your address on the web and we’ll send your free card reader and Square sticker.
- Lose the paper: Get your receipts sent instantly to your email or mobile phone. Access them securely online.
- Pay quickly, securely: Create a Square account to speed up and secure every payment. With photo verification, Square users can visually confirm you are the card holder.
- Get real rewards: If you frequent a place that accepts Square, we’ll let them know you’re a repeat customer. That 10th cappuccino may be on the house, no paper coffee card required.
- All your receipts, organized: See all of your Square receipts in one simple view. Browse photos of every item you bought, read descriptions, and share with your friends and co-workers.
- Your business in real-time: All of your cash and card payments in a clean interface accessible securely from anywhere. Instantly see how much you’ve made for the day, broken out by tips, tax, and payment method. Download your data into a standard format to work with your favorite program.