T-Mobile fans can finally rejoice because they are getting a long awaited 1 GHz Android superphone from Samsung. The upcoming Samsung Vibrant is T-Mobile’s exclusive version of the Samsung Galaxy S and it is expected to be launched July 21st. T-Mobile recently launched a teaser site to hype the phone and they are expected to officially unveil it at a Samsung Mobile media event next week.
While we wait for the media event to arrive, T-Mobile has answered some frequently asked questions about the device and shared some new information on their Vibrant forums. New details confirm that the device is HSPA 7.2 and will benefit from T-Mobile’s network upgrade to HSPA+, but the Vibrant is not an actual HSPA+ device (those should come this holiday).
The camera is 5 megapixel and records 720p video, but it does not include a LED flash. We are still uncertain if the Vibrant includes a front-facing camera like the international version, but it doesn’t appear like it from early renders of the device.
We also learned that T-Mobile will target “entertainment enthusiasts” with the Samsung Vibrant. That doesn’t surprise us given the device’s Super AMOLED display and next-generation graphics processor. T-Mobile will include several exclusive Android apps like Amazon’s Kindle, MobiTV, EA’s The Sims 3, and a HD copy of the hit movie Avatar.
No price point has been announced, but since this is a high-end smartphone we expect T-Mobile will offer it for $199.99 with 2yr contract.
- The Vibrant offers a 1GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor which is optimized for superior media viewing and game play.
- The Vibrant has a 4.0-inch Super AMOLED touch screen display that gives you a bright, vivid viewing experience.
- The Vibrant benefits from enhanced speeds with T-Mobile’s HSPA+ network, but it’s not an HSPA+ device.
- The Vibrant is one of the slimmest smartphones on the market. The dimensions are 4.82” x 2.54” x 0.39”; weighs 4.16 oz.
- The Vibrant’s 5 MP camera is equipped with digital zoom and autofocus. Comes with an HD video recorder too!
- The Vibrant is ideal for consumers who are entertainment enthusiasts and want to combine entertainment and communication in one device. The Vibrant offers a ton of entertainment options. We’ll have more to share on this front when the countdown reaches zero.
- The Samsung Vibrant is powered by Android 2.1 software.
- The Vibrant supports personal and corp. e-mail, including MS Exchange, Gmail and most other POP3 and IMAP e-mail services.
Check out the official demo video of the international version for a quick taste of what to expect.