Oct 20 AT 2:39 PM Sean Riley 22 Comments

Galaxy Tab making its Verizon debut on November 11 for $599

The Galaxy Tab continues to make the rounds to all the major U.S. carriers and the wheel of destiny has landed on Big Red today.

The Verizon flavored Galaxy Tab will ring up for $599 without contract and for those that would like a subsidized price you can apparently keep dreaming or take your business to T-Mobile or Sprint. If you want to make use of the 3G radio you can sign up for a month to month contract starting at $20 for 1GB. From there you can step up your data with $35 for 3GB, $50 for 5GB and $80 for 10GB.

I’m surprised that Verizon isn’t at least offering the option of going on contract with the Tab and I can’t help but feel that it may be in deference to Apple as there can’t be an on contract iPad for Verizon at the moment. A Verizon spokesperson has responded to such questions saying that the no contract model is the direction they have chosen to take for tablets, but we’ll just have to see if they stay on message once other 3G enabled tablets start launching next year.

What are your opinions on the pricing strategy for the Galaxy Tab. Is $599 retail too much? Would you have preferred a subsidized contract option? And is 1GB going to cut it for your tablet data consumption or does 3GB seem more like the bare minimum?

Back view of the Verizon Galaxy Tab Horizontal view of the Verizon Galaxy Tab Angled view of the Verizon Galaxy Tab

Show Press Release

Verizon Wireless Puts Samsung Galaxy Tabâ„¢ In Stores In November

10/20/2010

BASKING RIDGE, NJ, and DALLAS, TX – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced the highly anticipated Samsung Galaxy Tabâ„¢ will be available Nov. 11 for $599.99. Running on Androidâ„¢ 2.2, the Samsung Galaxy Tab features a brilliant 7-inch touch screen; robust HTML Web browsing experience with full support for Adobe® Flash® 10.1 for video and mobile gaming; and a 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application processor.

“This is an incredible time in mobile technology, and as a company we’re excited to add the Samsung Galaxy Tab to our portfolio,” said Marni Walden, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. “The Samsung Galaxy Tab brings together the reliability of Verizon Wireless’ 3G network and the power of Android 2.2 to deliver on our promise of providing consumers and business customers with a host of options to help manage their lives.”

Popular mobile applications, including V CAST Music and V CAST Song ID, VZ Navigator®, Slacker Radio, Kindle for Android, BLOCKBUSTER On Demand® presented by V CAST Video, and the exclusive golf game, “Let’s Golf,” will be available on the Samsung Galaxy Tab. In addition to text, picture and video messaging, the Samsung Galaxy Tab will also feature V CAST Apps, Verizon Wireless’ mobile storefront offering hundreds of applications for businesses and consumers at launch.

Verizon Wireless customers can add a monthly access plan beginning at $20 a month for 1 GB on their Samsung Galaxy Tab. For additional features and specifications on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, visit www.verizonwireless.com/galaxytab.

Via: ComputerWorld

Source: Verizon Wireless

Sean has been with Android and Me for over 4 years and covering mobile for the last 5. He occasionally muses about gadgets and tech outside of the Android universe at Techgasms.

• http://Website Se7en2

I like the fact that data through VZW is optional, as I’m not interested in another monthly bill. However, $600 seems a bit steep, considering it’s competing with the iPad. It’s roughly the same price as the 16GB iPad with Wi-Fi and 3G, but sports a smaller screen. I would think they’d want to price it lower than the iPad, just to be competitive.

Odds are, I’ll wait until next year before I consider an Android tablet, Gingerbread should be out by then and I’ll have more options to choose from.

• http://zalzalaweb.com/jens anakin78z

Ugh, I don’t like the black back (in the press pictures).
      I’m guessing each carrier will get their own special version. I just want the white of the European version.
      Anyhoo, $600 seems good, but I’m waiting for a special on contract price from Amazon or Wirefly or Androidandme!

• http://www.technogasms.com Sean Riley

• http://Website Mark

While it’s a very good price and offers a whole lot more than the iCrap. I’m just not into the whole “tab” fad. I’d rather just save up a few hundred more and buy myself a laptop that will not only do much more but will also not be needed to be tied down to another monthly bill.

• http://Website @neidlinger

well at that price point i just might have bought myself an iPad… after all feature for feature… they are exactly the same thing… just an overgrown variant of their phones.

• http://Website anakin78z

Wow, you so just want to waste our time, don’t you? The same thing? Please, go somewhere else.

• http://Website Gee

I agree that the iPad is under spec’d compared to this but I’d rather have a tablet dedicated OS and software than specs. That said, I’d only choose this over the iPad if it was cheaper by at least $150. I’m just gonna wait to see what the iPad 2 and future Android tablets bring to the table.

• http://Website Sam

I’m on t-mo but still, I have to give up one of my subsidies for the tab when I was waiting for the mytouch hd or one of the dual core phones. If I so chose to go that route. Which means I would be stuck with my original mytouch.

• http://Website anakin78z

Actually, this might be a good opportunity to just go with a different carrier. If it’s data only, does it matter where it’s coming from? Heck, you might even be strategic and pick one that has coverage in areas where t-mobile is lacking a bit. And you’ll get that ‘new’ contract price, which will hopefully be nice.

• http://Website Jason

“Is $599 retail too much?”

599 retail is WAY too much. What are they thinking? The iPad is twice the tablet for that same kind of money. Sorry, I love Android as much as the next guy (LOVE my Incredible) but this is just too much money for this little piece of equipment. $399 is more like it.

• http://Website Hans

So screen size is everything? I don’t think so.

Think of it this way: smartphones are usually around 3.7″-4.3″ and cost around $500-$550. So to see a 3G tablet around the $600 range isn’t that bad at all.

• Nick Gray

“Verizon Wireless’ mobile storefront offering hundreds of applications for businesses and consumers at launch.”

I hope I’m wrong, but usually every time an Android device is announced, they make a big deal about offering access to the market.

• Weeds

Yeah would like to know more on that issue too.
      Here in Germany it looks like the Tablet has access to the Android Market. At least the descriptions and images on amazon.de confirm that.

Though I’d like to have one of these things, price is a no go for me – at Amazon its a whopping 696€ (~970$)! (And they put it down from 799€)

Guess I’m waiting for the next generation, shouldn’t be that far that we see some dual core Tegra tablets..

• http://www.technogasms.com Sean Riley

My theory is that they won’t take the Market away completely but will bury it in the menus while placing their App Store on the homescreen. If they do that and then just ignore the Market with their advertising they can probably trick a significant portion of the new users into using the App Store exclusively.

• http://Website Joe

Um, where’s the wifi-only version??? Who really needs the 3G version, I mean don’t all of us have smartphones that have 3G? And don’t many of us have wifi tethering with those smartphones?? I would think that most people wouldn’t be interested in 3G. Tabs are meant to be more of a mini trimmed down laptop, and thats all I’d be interested in it for. So I’m not upset about the price of this version, I’m upset because they haven’t offered up a non-3G version. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot ahead of the pending holiday shopping season! Good call, Samsung, way to go.

• http://lettersfromdave.wordpress.com daveloft

Buy it at full price and forget about the 3G data connection if you don’t want it.

If things change in the future and you have a need for it, then start paying for the connection.

One model with all connectivity options makes sense to me.

• http://Website jjsink

I’m still waiting for the Notion Ink Adam tablet with Qi-pixel display so I can read books outdoors, +++++
    Verizon is just too darn expensive.

• http://Website Thorpeland

I agree with what many have said here. This 7inch tablet is way over priced at $600. In fact im a bit insulted someone in Samsungs marketing department believes im foaming at the mouth to pay this much for what it is. I think a more accurate price point for a small “mini-tablet” like this would be around $400. Save the $600 price tag for the full featured 10 inch tablets when they get here.

• http://Website cjack

Wow that price is wrong in so many different ways. Not only is it competing with the ipad at that price but it’s not presenting a good argument against those various 200 dollar android tablets, I mean is a 3g radio a a couple cameras that expensive? They will also be competing against the upcoming windows 7 tablets (exopc) that will be far more functional. Somebody got a little greedy/dissolutional with this.

Remember apple has the kind of following that they can charge a premium for their hardware so comparing specs is pointless. Just compare there desktops prices to similarly equipt PCs.

• http://Website pax

I thought I could buy 2 of these and show them off to the fanbois..Now, I can’t even shell out for one. Samsung, you are so stupid. BTW, just got rid of my Vibrant too “where is froyo”? …..got myself an EVO 4G.

• http://Website Deter

“With the iPad+MiFi bundle hitting Verizon stores on October 28th for $630 (matching the 3G iPad on AT&T) the Galaxy Tab is managing to eke out a slight price advantage, but certainly not enough to sway a buyer on price alone.”

I have to disagree. I was looking at a 32GB iPad for a while now, but to buy the Tab for $600 and a 16GB mem card for $40 is much cheaper.

1. Se7en2Guest 5 years ago

• anakin78zGuest 5 years ago

Ugh, I don’t like the black back (in the press pictures).

• I dropped some of the press shots in now. I agree the white version definitely looks nice and crisp, but I’ve yet to see a white device maintain that look with real world use so I’ll have to go with Wesley Snipes on this one and say always bet on black.

2. MarkGuest 5 years ago

3. @neidlingerGuest 5 years ago

• anakin78zGuest 5 years ago

• GeeGuest 5 years ago

4. SamGuest 5 years ago

• anakin78zGuest 5 years ago

5. JasonGuest 5 years ago

“Is $599 retail too much?”

• HansGuest 5 years ago

So screen size is everything? I don’t think so.

6. One thing I noticed from the press release was that there is NO mention of the Android Market. It looks like the Verizon app store is becoming a reality and that they will simply not include the Android Market.

• Yeah would like to know more on that issue too.

• The PR person that I spoke to was pretty adamant that the VCast App Store would be supplemental and not actually replacing the Market, but obviously it wouldn’t be the first time they lied about something.

7. JoeGuest 5 years ago

• daveloftGuest 5 years ago

One model with all connectivity options makes sense to me.

8. jjsinkGuest 5 years ago

Verizon is just too darn expensive.

9. ThorpelandGuest 5 years ago