Nov 27 AT 2:19 PM Taylor Wimberly 38 Comments

7 million Angry Birds fans will get a Christmas stocking stuffer

There is no denying that Angry Birds is the most popular apps on the Android Market. The free game just went live in October and it has already passed 7 million downloads. That number is expected to continue growing since Rovio announced a light version was also in the works for low-performance Android phones.

In order to celebrate the success of Angry Birds on Android, Rovio will be releasing a special Christmas edition sometime in the next few weeks. Details are limited but the iOS exclusive Halloween edition added 45 new levels.

No release date was provided, but December 11th is the first official Angry Birds Day, which marks the one year anniversary of the game’s release on iOS.

One thing that Angry Birds has proved is that the freemium model works quite well on Android when you have the volume to support it. I have no idea how much money these guys are making, but the numbers are mind boggling when you think about it.

If we assume they are earning a revenue per thousand impressions (RPM) of around $2 and generating 1 million ad impressions per day, that equals around $2k per day or $60k per month. We don’t know the actual number of impressions they get (and Adsense prevents them from sharing that info), but I assume my estimates are on the low end.

Many users have requested a paid version of the game that would remove the ads, but I don’t see Rovio giving up that ad revenue just yet. If you are one of the people asking for an ad-free version of Angry Birds, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

angry-birds-christmas-logo AngryBirdsXmas_YleX2 AngryBirdsXmas_YleX1

Via: @RovioMobile

Source: YLEX

• http://www.nashvilletn-real-estate.com Dean Williams

I love Angry Birds and am a fan of free games. I don’t play a lot, so free is perfect. The ads don’t bother me at all. Same with Alchemy and Twidroyd. I think people just want to complain to complain.

Now, if an ad would restrict playability, that would be something to discuss. But, so far, I haven’t had an ad pop over my bird slingshot yet.

• http://Website bemymonkey

Actually, the ads cause quite a bit of lag on older devices. Blocking them via Adfree can actually make a difference that amounts to playable vs. unplayable…

But those issues should be addressed by the upcoming lite version, hopefully. :)

• http://Website Conkers

This is iPad news. It’s an iPad game. For iPad owners. Where does Rovio mention Android?

• http://Website tande04

Huh?

The Christmas version that they’re talking about is a Android exculsive release. Are you thinking about the Halloween one?

• http://Website bhan87

I would be willing to pay the same price as iOS users to get an ad-free version. The ads in the current version don’t obstruct the gameplay much, but it would certainly be nice to choose.

By the way, there are a few grammatical errors in the article.

“most popular apps”

“has proved”

• http://droidandroidgames.com/ AndroidGames

• http://Website Glenn

And how will that make more money for them since it’s a free game already…

• http://Website Chris Cook

It has already been reported that they will be releasing a sequel.

• IHTCEvo

No, I wouldn’t pay over 2 dollars but I think they should leave it free.

• http://Website Jeliz187

I have a Nexus One and maybe its the smaller screen but some of the more elaborate levels are unplayable on this screen. I have to actually wait for the ad to disappear before I can proceed. I would probably pay five bucks for an ad free version. Maybe more but I think five bucks sounds fair.

• http://icecreamstache.tumblr.com AndyE

pinch to zoom bud.

• http://Website Alex

I wouldn’t mind paying 4 or 5 bucks for the game already, the developers deserve it and it’s better than any other game on the android market right now.

• SGB101

the developers are not doing bad out of it, so dont worry yourself :)

AB, shows if your content is good enough, you can give it away and still make a packet.

• http://Website Ryan Kim

I have a tiny Aria, and the small screen size has never been an issue. I guess it would be nice to have a paid version just to have options, as long as it doesn’t have any features the free version doesn’t.

• http://Website cj

$1

• http://Website Kent

The ads are OK on Angry, but st least they could put them back on the bottom of the page where they are out of the way.

• ALX

I’d say $1 – $2 is fair pricing for Angry Birds. But I don’t mind the ads since I don’t play games on my phone very often… I can’t wait for an Android tablet to play the game on a larger screen. I have an iPad and had lots of fun playing Angry Birds HD and Angry Birds Halloween HD, but will be getting rid of it once a good Android tablet comes out.

• mmitchum

• http://Website Bianca

So, instead of Radio Shack – I get ads for Diamonds (Blue Nile) …are the ads based on something that would specialize it?

• http://Website John

Whats adds? Add free rooted nexus 1

• Mr.Evo4g

Support for doing a grate job on android

• http://Website Tim

I haven’t installed the latest Angry Birds update yet, after reading many of the comments about the new ad placement. I would prefer a paid version with no ads and I’d even pay up to $10 for it.

• http://Website A little too much

Okay $10 is a little too ridiculous. Not even AMAZING games on the iOS are $10. I think the MAX amount of money I would pay for this game is $4-$5 and that’s because it has a shitload of levels :)

• http://Website Julia

I’d pay $5 for it, happily, to get rid of the ads. I think they should keep an ad-supported version for those who are fine with it, but I’d love to ditch them. I love the game, and think it’s worth a premium price (which I think $5 is for a game).

• FrightenedByPenguins

This article can’t be right.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that the reason Android will never be as good as iPhone is that developers can’t make money on Android! ?! It therefore will never attract the premium developers and will be stuck with sub par apps available in the market.

Or am I missing something?

- posted from android
    - sarcasm lock engaged

• http://Website Frag_Effect

I just played mine and I do not see any ads at all. So I’m good. :-)

Sent from my Epic 4G

• http://Website Don

So I guess I am the only person here who has figured out the trick. I have an EVO and I know this will not work on some phones. Just shut the internet off and you have no more ads. My friend uses the Mytouch 3G and he just puts it in airplane mode and his disappear.

• SGB101

airplane mode works on both my HTC Desire and Desire HD.

tbh untill this *advert* i never even noticed the adds, or i may of but they never distracted me

• http://Website Josh

I’m having serious Angry Birds problems. The most recent update wouldn’t install properly on my Nexus One. I then deleted the app (I know, I’m a moron) and tried to start fresh. The reason I did this is because the install problem has been happening to me with multiple apps, and has been previously “fixed” by a simple delete-reinstall. Angry Birds is the only game I enjoy on Android now, and it’s extremely frustrating not being able to install it. Downloads fine, just no installation. Anybody have an idea?

• http://Website SKB

I had the same issue. I bet your AB is on your sd card right? If so, move the app back to phone, then update, then move it back to the SD. IF that doesn’t work, try un-mounting the sd card then install the update.

• http://Website Josh

Unfortunately, it gets a bit more complicated than that lol. I actually just received a new device from HTC (my screen was cracked) and it’s not showing any apps on my sd card, so its nowhere on my device (since I deleted the game before I did the swap, my google account didn’t sync AB when I synced my data). I just unmounted the sd card and put it back in, tried to redownload but it’s giving me the same error message. :/ I don’t know what to do, I send an email to Rovio but I’m sure they’re really busy with all the other fragmentation issues they’re trying to deal with now anyway.

• http://Website Ben

I would pay two or three quid for an ad free version.

I actually installed adfree on my phone because of the ads. I’ve nothing against ads in principle, but they caused a huge amount of lag in Angry Birds on my HTC Desire, which is a reasonably specced phone. And the ads’ geolocation could do with tweaking, as I was frequently being told about things in Houston although I’m 5000 miles away in London.

• http://Website Emil Ghoting

Seems like Rovio knows what it’s doing– creating a lite version and exploiting the popularity into paid special editions

• http://Website John Perkins

On my Droid Incredible the ads definitely distract from the gameplay. Often the ad will pop up over the score, obscuring it so that it makes it impossible for me to see how many points I have. Not a big deal when just trying to beat a level, but very distracting when trying to get three stars. On many levels, it will also obscure the birds during flight. This is only an issue when I’m using a bird with a secondary function. I’ve had a few levels where I had to tap the screen while the bird is obscured by the ad to hit the right location.

After the update changed the ad location, I tried to put up with it for a while, but eventually had to uninstall. I’d be willing to pay $2 for an ad-free version. Though I might try turning my phone on airplane mode while I’m playing to see if that works. Great idea.

• monlosez

• Leeloo76

• http://Website SJ

The Android Christmas version has all the iphone Halloween levels too!

• http://Website jj

“around $2k per day or $60k per month. We don’t know the actual number of impressions they get (and Adsense prevents them from sharing that info), but I assume my estimates are on the low end.”

Apparently they can share the dollar amount, your assumption was correction about being on the low end: http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/03/angry-birds-android-1-million-advertising/
    Turns out they predict to make $1,000,000 a month from ads.

1. Dean WilliamsGuest 5 years ago

• bemymonkeyGuest 5 years ago

2. ConkersGuest 5 years ago

• tande04Guest 5 years ago

Huh?

3. bhan87Guest 5 years ago

By the way, there are a few grammatical errors in the article.

“most popular apps”

“has proved”

4. I guess this is how they are going to make more money with the game, releasing the special edition versions, nice idea since they don’t want to make a sequel. Doodle Jump just updates the game for special editions, not trying to get extra 99 cents from the loyal customer base.

• GlennGuest 4 years ago

And how will that make more money for them since it’s a free game already…

• Chris CookGuest 4 years ago

It has already been reported that they will be releasing a sequel.

5. No, I wouldn’t pay over 2 dollars but I think they should leave it free.

6. Jeliz187Guest 5 years ago

7. AlexGuest 5 years ago

• the developers are not doing bad out of it, so dont worry yourself :)

8. Ryan KimGuest 5 years ago

9. cjGuest 5 years ago

$1

10. KentGuest 5 years ago

11. YAY!!!! That’s what I’m talkin about! I can’t wait to see the level designs and surprises to come!

12. Does anyone else think that the pop-up Radio shack ad at the bottom of the screen is the most annoying thing since the “Head On” commercial?

• BiancaGuest 4 years ago

13. JohnGuest 5 years ago

Whats adds? Add free rooted nexus 1

14. I don’t mind the commercials but if they had a pay version of the game I’d buy it just to show the dev’s
    Support for doing a grate job on android

15. TimGuest 5 years ago

• A little too muchGuest 5 years ago

16. JuliaGuest 4 years ago

17. This article can’t be right.

Or am I missing something?

- posted from android
    - sarcasm lock engaged

18. Frag_EffectGuest 4 years ago

I just played mine and I do not see any ads at all. So I’m good. :-)

Sent from my Epic 4G

19. DonGuest 4 years ago

• airplane mode works on both my HTC Desire and Desire HD.

20. JoshGuest 4 years ago

• SKBGuest 4 years ago

• JoshGuest 4 years ago

21. BenGuest 4 years ago

I would pay two or three quid for an ad free version.

22. Emil GhotingGuest 4 years ago

23. John PerkinsGuest 4 years ago

24. I don’t mind ads at all. It’s about supporting Android developers so they can bring more games or more developers to Android, even though I can remove easily.

25. Are they gonna make a christmas version for the Android too? Really wished they had made a halloween version for andriod instead of just ios! :(

• SJGuest 4 years ago

The Android Christmas version has all the iphone Halloween levels too!

26. jjGuest 4 years ago

Turns out they predict to make $1,000,000 a month from ads.