Nov 24 AT 5:45 PM Taylor Wimberly 17 Comments

PlayStation Phone announcement coming next month?

French gadget blog Nowhereelse has published what appears to be an invitation from Sony Ericsson that is inviting the press to “the most anticipated presentation of the past 10 years”. At the bottom of the invitation are the familiar PlayStation buttons along with a phone icon so many are beginning to think that this could be the PlayStation Phone announcement.

We know the “PlayStation Phone” from Sony Ericsson is real after Engadget posted pictures of some prototypes, but most did not expect the device to be ready till next year. Some had speculated that Sony Ericsson might announce this device during Mobile World Congress in February, so it’s anyones guess when the product will actually hit stores.

One thing we do know is that Sony Ericsson is not waiting on the next-generation of dual-core processors, so they could launch the device this year as long as the software is ready. Sony Ericsson chose to go with the second-generation 1 GHz Snapdragon processor (MSM8655) which is similar to the CPU being used in the myTouch 4G and HTC Desire HD.

Prototype devices from Sony Ericsson were seen running Android 2.2, but it was rumored that it could launch with Android 2.3. Google has yet to officially announce the Android 2.3 update and Sony doesn’t have the best track record with shipping the latest Android software, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see it with Android 2.2 if it does come this year.

I guess we will find out if this invitation is real in the next few weeks. Are any gamers out there excited about the possibility of getting a PlayStation Phone? Or do you think the dual-core phones which are coming early next year might offer better games?

The leaked invitation.

The leaked invitation.

Translated: “Pierre Perron and his team invite you to the most anticipated presentation of the past 10 years… Thursday, December 9th, at 8pm”

Via: Mobile Crunch

Source: Nowhereelse

• http://www.clapfootgames.com Mark

Seems far fetched but if this is true December is gonna be one hell of a month for Android.

• orginn

• http://Website PhineasJW

“Pierre Perron and his team invite you to the most anticipated presentation of the past 10 years”

Well….Sony launched the Playstation 2 in 2000, ten years ago.

• http://Website jose

Well if they announced it than hopefully is a dual-core and release it with gingerbread. ..a man can dream. ..

• http://Website umm

Nooooooo I want a dual-core system two analog sticks and it needs a updated battery cuz the psp is not known for its battery life. Go Sony

• http://sundazed.net iSunday

In my opinion, leave the analogs on the PSP.

I was really looking forward to this phone, but not even for PS specific games. This looks like the world’s best NES/SNES/Genesis handheld, and I would love to waste my life away playing SMB on it. With the 1GHZ processor, it will still serve that purpose very well, but it definitely won’t please the crowd hoping for an Unreal/Quake/Doom multiplayer game for the dual-core generation.

• IHTCEvo

• http://Website anthonyngljrgrie4i;

ya well i was hopping to find out when the new psp phone was coming out can somewon anser by cmenting thats y i went to this websit

• http://Website Andy

YESSSSSSSS!!! If it comes this year, I am copping this first day. I’ve been waiting for this. Now excuse me while I make a small request if this is indeed true.

Sony, if you are listening (or reading as is the case), don’t forget to put TWO ANALOG STICKS, dual core (we don’t mind waiting till next year), absurd memory (somewhere around 160-250gb. too much?) and available on all networks.

• http://Website Andy

BTW, people need to stop f*cking whining. Jesus Christ, it’s just a freaking prototype. It’s not built for eye candy. Wait for the final version before you start to toss your judgments around. Besides, like the Nintendo DS or pretty much any other game console out there, expect more PSPhone revisions in the future. The design might get sleeker or slimmer over time etc.

• http://Website Jay

Hopefully it’s the PSP phone. If it has at&t’s 3g radio in there I’d probably pick one up. I agree with Sony for going single core, it’s cheaper and I don’t think cellphones need dual core chips yet. Performance gain would be too negligible at first. To be honest I’d mostly use it for playing old snes and ps1 games. The current gen snapdragon sputters at times with ps1 but I think that’s more the code and less the hardware. In fact, the only thing that would turn me off the device would be it running non-vanilla android.

• http://sweeterskins.net Lemon

• http://Website Wally

Don’t know if anybody else saw this, but on one of the pictures in the engadget gallery, there’s one where it indicates to press the “a” button for enter. this makes me a bit speculative…

• http://Website R.S.

Hmmm…

I’m probably in the minority here but I want a PSP that has (smart) phone capabilities not just a (smart) phone with gaming capabilities and dedicated gaming buttons. I mean now a days, most if not all smart phone have gaming capabilities, just some are better than others.

Now granted this phone having a directional pad and dedicated buttons gives it an advantage to a touch screen or a qwerty keyboard, I just don’t know if it would be enough for me if I couldn’t play actual PSP games.

• http://Website sandy

i think that the phone is having problems so people are trying to fix it and itb will be comming out soon so people can buy it online or at the stores .I cant wait till it comes out!!!!!!!

• http://www.vitaps.info playstation

certainly like your web site but you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to inform the reality however I will definitely come again again.

1. MarkGuest 4 years ago

2. Im. Going to hold out until either the nexus2or adual core phone, this will probably do well but be stuck on 2.2(3), because of sony for one and the games will probably have to update also for two, and finally it looks like hedges are creeky based on that picture, dont want it to break while being frustrated by not beating god of war

3. PhineasJWGuest 4 years ago

Well….Sony launched the Playstation 2 in 2000, ten years ago.

4. joseGuest 4 years ago

5. ummGuest 4 years ago

6. In my opinion, leave the analogs on the PSP.

7. Sony….needs…..new…..designers. WTFFFFFFF Come on …..Everyone here wants two analog sticks and dual-core. Also A amoled screen wouldnt hurt. However the battery tech needs to be updated. i only get like 6 hours on my psp so yea. Fuck this i actually want an iphone now because it only gets a new phone once a year. I have the Evo and now Fukin dual core and psp phones are coming out. Ima be so jealous Grrrrrrrrrr….

• anthonyngljrgrie4i;Guest 4 years ago

8. AndyGuest 4 years ago

9. AndyGuest 4 years ago

10. JayGuest 4 years ago

11. I’ve got a prototype Play Station phone on my desk. It’s running Android 1.6 with Gamescapeâ„¢.

12. WallyGuest 4 years ago