Dec 22 AT 4:07 PM Taylor Wimberly 31 Comments

Sprint will be the first U.S. carrier to deliver Android 2.2 to their Galaxy S

A new leak posted at Phone Arena confirms that Sprint will be the first U.S. carrier to deliver Android 2.2 to their Galaxy S phone. The Samsung Epic 4G will begin to receive an over-the-air update starting on December 26th, according to an internal memo.

Sprint is quickly building the reputation of offering the best software support for Android phones. They were the first U.S. carrier to deliver an update to Android 2.2 when the upgraded the EVO 4G back in July. We saw in another internal memo that Android updates were a “high priority for competitive reasons” and Sprint has continued to live up to that.

There are currently four different Epic 4G builds floating around (DI07, DI18, DG27, DK28), so it will take several days for the update to roll out. Sprint says that most customers are on the DI18 build, so that will be the first OTA package that gets published.

Previous statements from Sprint led us to believe that Sprint ID was coming to the Epic 4G, but it does not appear that this will happen with the latest build. Users should expect the same TouchWiz UI with some minor tweaks (see the leaked test build for an idea of what to expect).

At this point it looks like other Galaxy S owners (Vibrant, Captivate, and Fascinate) will have to wait till 2011 to receive their Android 2.2 update. When the Galaxy S first launched in the U.S. we were expecting to see these updates by September, but that never happened and it has been a hot topic of discussion since then.

Benefits of the new Epic 4G update include:

• Upgrade of the OS from Eclair to Froyo (2.2.1)
  • Ability to install applications to the external memory
  • Improved Bluetooth device support
  • Bluetooth Voice Dialing
  • Flash Player 10.1
  • GPS Enhancements

Source: Phone Arena

• http://Website Ivan

Told you Sprint pwns every other carrier !!!

• http://Website bpear96

Sprint maybe the fastest to 2.2 but tmobile has 2.3 on the nexus s

• Prince77

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

That wasn’t an update to 2.3. The Nexus S shipped like that.

• http://Website Richard

You have to be kidding me. Mr. Bpear96 that 2.3 came on the Nexus S tmobile had nothing to do with that…. Google handled there business to make sure gingerbread was there what is tmobile going to do about there lines of galaxy s devices??? Also way about GINGERBREAD??? BET SPRINT HAS GINGERBREAD ON THE EVO 4G BEFORE TMOBILE HAS IT ON THE MYTOUCH 4G…. Time to separate the men from the boys SPRINT BITCH SLAPS TMOBILE SILLY

• http://Website Ivan

LMFAO@ RIchard. Hell yea Sprint owns. But yea like everyone else said, the Nexus S is not a T mobile phone, it just works with their network. It also works with AT&T but won’t have 3G. And I even bet Sprint will have Gingerbread on the Evo before T mobile has it on the G2. LMFAO.

• http://Website clocinnorcal

You guys are right, Sprint does own Tmo in the software arena. Too bad you cant say the same for their customer service.

• http://www.silvercpu.com/blog Lissy

Frelling bastards! Better be early 2011! I feel like by the time the captivate gets the update, I’ll be up for a new phone.

• http://Website swype

has swype been updated?

• http://zalzalaweb.com/jens anakin78z

Huge props to Spring for pushing the manufacturers. They’re doing it right!

• http://Website panic

to late i switched to the evo, im happy that sprint is the first to release the update but regardless if it took this long for froyo when the galaxy s line was supposed to be the leading brand what can we expect when waiting for gingerbread? samsung cannot be trusted.

• http://www.examiner.com/smartphones-in-hartford/charles-west Charles West

Look, as much as I have a disdain for Sprint (mainly stemming from their terrible customer service), I have to give the devil its due. This will make it number two, when it comes to pushing out fast releases on “the model” of the moment (EVO 4G being the first). For this news you have to give Sprint’s developmental team (engineers), a well deserved solute. Don’t hate, congratulate…

• http://twitter.com/velazcod velazcod

I love Android And Me. But please don’t get ahead of yourselves.

Samsung has showed us that they never deliver in time over and over again. This would be the 3rd time a leak like this happens. If the update shows up, great, but it hasn’t and the probabilities of it not showing up are high (based on previous leaks and Samsung’s history).

The same thing happened here when the Droid-1 was supposed to be getting Android 2.1, and it didn’t until the 2nd or maybe 3rd time that the rumor was out and you guys wrote a blog post about it.

As I said, I love you guys, your site is excellent. But I would change the title for something more like “rumors are that the EPIC will get 2.2 on the 26th” instead of being so sure that it will.

Happy Holidays.

• Jarvis73

• http://Website addictive

So according to this article… people with the leaked FroYo update (DK28) will be getting the OFFICIAL FroYo update Over The Air without having to do anything to their phone like flashing back to stock?

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!

• http://Website cruellyricisti

I second that… still running the leaked froyo release and will be until the update gets pushed out… (no shenanigans sammy). But would I be able to OTA? Or do I need to get fancy? And start flashing?

• http://Website Riz

Screw you Sprint! I hate that company more than anything! I’d rather still be on donut than give them my money again. T-Mobile will always be the O.G. Android carrier and Verizon put it on the map. Sprint just follows the leaders and still sucks. Did I mention that I really hate Sprint?

• http://Website watbetch

Although Sprint made a fuss about releasing 2.2 first, the DROID got 2.2 first.

With the rash of leaks for FroYo on the Vibrant, T-Mobile is getting ready to release a FroYo update as well.
    Leaked:JL1, JL4, JL5 —> ???
    Is a lot like
    Leaked:JI2, JI4, JI5 —> official:JI6 (maybe a week or two after JI5 leaked)

• http://Website jcastro

So who’s ready for a bricked handset? Based on what happened to all those Canadian Vibrant owners and all thise poor, poor Sammy Intercept fools, when and if my Fascinate gets updated ill avoid it for as long as possible. Sure, sprint’s great with the updates so far, but then again if the Evo/Epic are their bread and butter, they’d better be. Samsung is bullshit though. Almost 10 million phones and the majority of them are still running eclair?!? Never again Samsung, never again.

• http://www.naughtygirlguide.com deltaslight

I just hope this GPS issue gets fixed, it reaaaaally bothers me that if i get plastered i cant find my way home. Seriously…

• Brian

Go the the forum post and read through as much as you need too. Go slow, you will thank yourself later. Read everything, do not skip ahead.

• http://Website Paul Atreides

Sprint customer service has improved alot. They don’t transfer all my calls to some foreign land with thick accents like some other carrier I had the G1 on…

• http://Website addictive

I called sprint customer two different times and told them I installed the unofficial froyo update on my epic and asked if I will till get the over the air official update without having to do anything to my phone.

Both people I talked to from 2 different phone calls said I will get it without any problems.

I also never had any problems with their customer service for the passed year and a half. They always are fast and good at solving any issues.

• http://Website jay555

I’m probably going to sound like a troll for this but considering that Sprint is ripping off every Epic owner with their so called “Premium Data Fee”, the least they can do is offer those poor saps an update before anyone else.

• http://Website Alex

January 6th and my Epic is STILL on 2.1!

1. IvanGuest 4 years ago

Told you Sprint pwns every other carrier !!!

• bpear96Guest 4 years ago

Sprint maybe the fastest to 2.2 but tmobile has 2.3 on the nexus s

• First of all that is T Mobile. That is Google. it just happens that the phone is on T Mobile. What would you say if the NS was on Sprint and that happen? Think before you speak, Google wanted that phone to come out with Gingerbread not T Mobile.

• That wasn’t an update to 2.3. The Nexus S shipped like that.

• RichardGuest 4 years ago

• IvanGuest 4 years ago

• clocinnorcalGuest 4 years ago

2. LissyGuest 4 years ago

3. swypeGuest 4 years ago

has swype been updated?

4. anakin78zGuest 4 years ago

Huge props to Spring for pushing the manufacturers. They’re doing it right!

5. panicGuest 4 years ago

6. Charles WestGuest 4 years ago

7. I love Android And Me. But please don’t get ahead of yourselves.

Happy Holidays.

8. Same here it’s cool that Sprint stepped up BUT!!! They should’ve been Froyo on the Epic!!!

9. addictiveGuest 4 years ago

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!

• cruellyricistiGuest 4 years ago

10. RizGuest 4 years ago

11. watbetchGuest 4 years ago

Although Sprint made a fuss about releasing 2.2 first, the DROID got 2.2 first.

Leaked:JL1, JL4, JL5 —> ???
    Is a lot like
    Leaked:JI2, JI4, JI5 —> official:JI6 (maybe a week or two after JI5 leaked)

12. jcastroGuest 4 years ago

13. As a Vibrant owner, im glad to hear that at least one of the Galaxy S phones is rumored to be getting 2.2. That just means that my upgrade cant be too far behind.

• You know as a Vibrant owner you can use Odin to flash your phone to Firmware JL5, which I think is the actual update coming soon. It works very well. The GPS is not working right but it was still very close. After trying it I flashed back to the current firmware, and now my GPS works perfect. Just follow the instructions.

14. Paul AtreidesGuest 4 years ago

15. addictiveGuest 4 years ago

16. jay555Guest 4 years ago

17. AlexGuest 4 years ago

January 6th and my Epic is STILL on 2.1!