Feb 01 AT 5:30 PM Taylor Wimberly 15 Comments

Texas Instruments to transform the concept of mobile on February 7th

I have been literally begging Texas Instruments to give us some reasons to get excited about their dual-core OMAP4 processors and it could finally happen next week. TI just sent out invites to the media for a virtual press conference on February 7th that will be geared towards “transforming the concept of mobile.”

We have absolutely no idea what announcements will be made, but TI has been talking up 3D quite a bit and February 7th happens to be the same day that Sprint is making a big announcement, rumored to be focused on 3D content. We were initially tipped that HTC would be involved with Sprint’s event, but LG also just announced the Optimus 3D and we have no clue what processor is inside.

What are the odds that these two events are related? Could we see a dual-core OMAP4 device with a 3D display coming to Sprint next week?

• http://Website Marcus

Someone please inform TI (and all tech companies) that if you are doing something someone else has already done (such as release a dual core mobile processor), you aren’t “transforming” anything.

K? Thx.

• http://Website Mike

I don’t see anywhere on that invite where it says it will be showing off their dual core. Now Taylor mentioned it could be an announcement about their dual core but also said he doesn’t know what they will announce. For all we know it could be a form of application we have yet to see with dual cores. Best to wait and find out the facts first before giving your opinion.

• http://Website McParty

“Now I’m pretty excited about Sprint and TI finally stepping up to the plate and challenging some of the new phones that have been announced. I have nothing against those phones I just would like to see what the other competition has to offer before making a final decision on my upgrade.

It will be very strange to see a dual core OMAP4 in a HTC phone being released on Sprint but I will keep an open mind. I really don’t think this event has anything to do with Sprint’s event, but it looks like we’ll just have to wait and see.”
        Best to wait and find out the facts first before giving your opinion.

This COMMENT area IS FOR OPINIONS!! LOL

• http://Website Joe

LG used the Tegra-2 processor in the optimus 2X, and so for their 3D version, I think they’re going to use Tegra-2.5 instead of IT.

Plus, I think Sprint is teaming up with HTC for their feb 7th event.

• http://Website charlotte

Texas Instruments is still in business?

• http://Website DroidCLH

their in pretty much half of all phones made and they power all the Droid phones minus the Bionic, so yeah their still in business

• http://Website Ricorich196

They are also responsible for designing Arm Cortex A9/8 ect. that many other manufacturers use and tweak to make their processors like Hummingbird, Tegra2 ect.

• http://Website Steve

What Marcus says.

3D on cell phones is already being done in Japan.

• http://Website MaRsHmElLoW

Sprint and ti have nothing going on together. HTC exclusively uses Qualcomm in all of their devices. The first could indeed be Qyalcomms soupt up dual core processor. Nit much of a wait now anyway though. February is going to be quite the month :)

• http://Website Richard

I’m not sure exactly what texas instruments can think that they will do to TRANSFORM THE MOBILE INDUSTRY so we will see about that…What MATTERS at this time in my world is what SPRINT WILL ANNOUNCE COME FEB 7TH….We all know that there will be an HTC EVO 2 4G COME JUNE 2011 which all us proud current Evo owners are waiting for what ever else HTC/SPRINT does or announces is NOTHING BUT ICING ON THE CAKE FOR THE BEST CARRIER IN THE INDUSTRY…It is clearly going to be fun being a customer this SUMMER ON SPRINT…They are clearly about to step up there game even more than they did last summer with the introduction of the Evo….LG has come strong with there’s this year…SAMSUNG is trying to step there game up…and MOTOROLA came strong with there’s this year too….THE TIME IS NOW FOR HTC WHO CLEARLY ARE THE BEST MANUFRACTURERS IN THE INDUSTRY

• http://Website George

I honestly believe that TI and Sprint’s annoncements are NOT related. Here’s why
    TI announcement is BEFORE Sprints

If I was Sprint and was about to announce an new industry “first” i would not let a chip maker
    “spill the beans” for me.

Also, this new device must be something that will have to compete with Ver Iphone/ ATT Iphone and the Ver Thunderbolt / ATT Atrix 4G. So there is still HOPE that the BIG next will be HTC and/or dual-core Im looking forward to the 7th!!!!

• http://Website Waazzupppp

OH GOD PLEASE LET IT BE A BATTERY BREAKTHROUGH!!!

• http://Website Long_Time_Sprint_User

Yawn……………………………………….

1. MarcusGuest 4 years ago

K? Thx.

• MikeGuest 4 years ago

• McPartyGuest 4 years ago

Best to wait and find out the facts first before giving your opinion.

This COMMENT area IS FOR OPINIONS!! LOL

2. JoeGuest 4 years ago

Plus, I think Sprint is teaming up with HTC for their feb 7th event.

3. charlotteGuest 4 years ago

Texas Instruments is still in business?

• DroidCLHGuest 4 years ago

• Ricorich196Guest 4 years ago

4. SteveGuest 4 years ago

What Marcus says.

3D on cell phones is already being done in Japan.

5. MaRsHmElLoWGuest 4 years ago

6. RichardGuest 4 years ago

7. GeorgeGuest 4 years ago

TI announcement is BEFORE Sprints

“spill the beans” for me.

8. WaazzuppppGuest 4 years ago

OH GOD PLEASE LET IT BE A BATTERY BREAKTHROUGH!!!

9. Long_Time_Sprint_UserGuest 4 years ago