Mar 29 AT 11:03 AM Clark Wimberly 22 Comments

Mozilla Launches Firefox 4 for Android, mobile browser war heats up

Today must be the day for major app launches, or something. Mozilla just officially dropped Firefox for Android in the Market, available for download now.

The mobile version of Firefox includes a lot of the bells and whistles we know from the desktop version, like tabbed browsing, add-ons, themes, and bookmark syncing. Well- bookmark syncing might not be a fair title. They call it Firefox Sync, which provides seamless and secure access to personal data across desktop and mobile devices, including browsing history, bookmarks, open tabs, form data and passwords.

They’re also boasting a speed boost, saying, “Firefox is up to three times faster than the stock browser on Android.” Which, at this point, is something I’ve yet to experience for myself. I’ve tried Firefox a few times through the develop process and found it pretty clunky. And while the version I tried today seemed a bit snappier, overall it still felt a bit cumbersome. As I downloaded it I thought I should test this browser out all day. But after literally a few minutes I was running back to my trusty Dolphin HD [or insert your preferred browser here, I'm not here to argue the details].

If you want some more Firefoxiness, you can find the market link and QR code above, or check out the handful of screens and video below.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Quick update: I’ve also noticed our site doesn’t load the mobile version when using Firefox, which I assume means they’ve not included “Android” in their user agent string. I’ll look into it later today and try to push a fix to make sure Firefox users and getting served the correct version of the site.

Source: Firefox Blog

Clark is a developer living in Austin, Texas. He runs ClarkLab, a small web firm with his wife, Angie. He's a big fan of usability, standards, and clean design.

• http://Website Richard Yarrell

Nice but still not ready or better than Dolphin Mini

• http://Website m

i still prefer the stock (2.3.3) browser. dolphin mini didn’t win me over, it doesn’t allow me to set google as home page.
    i just hope google will eventually implement chrome sync for android, then i’m truly happy.

• http://Website RockinEvo

Its ok but I use dolphin HD more if not skyfire

• http://Website mikeHanel

Xscope is still the best imo… I have tried every other browse out there and none are as fast and clean as Xscope. This browser still feels like a beta and I was hoping for more from FireFox : (

• http://Website neidlinger

Coming from someone who has used Dolphin (full and mini) Opera (full and mini) XScope, Skyfire….

1) Native browser
    2) FireFox
    3) XScope
    4) Opera Mini
    5) Opera Mobile
    6) Dolphin Mini
    7) Dolphin Full
    8) Skyfire.

• http://Website Eric

Coming from someone who’s used all of those except Xscope, on a phone, I’d rate it

Dolphin Mini
      Opera Mobile
      Dolphin HD
      Native
      Firefox
      Opera Mini
      Skyfire

Different strokes.

• http://Website sansenoy

So no one has even heard of Miren browser??? Personally the best android app out there… Just get it, I’ve been using all those dolphins, operas and whatnot for a long time, this one is miles ahead!!!

• http://Website PhillyG411

I agree 100/%

• http://Website Eric

This is my default browser on my nook with CM7. Still not convinced about it on my captivate though…

• http://Website veesonic

Clark, please don’t change the site! I HATE mobile sites! One of the reasons I don’t use the mobile Firefox. I wish it had the option to disable mobile sites and flash support.

• http://www.apple.com Ben Johnson, GA

Alright chumps….

it pisses me off that iPhone 5s release is pushed to september/october, because android doing nothing to competition and forcing apple, being no threat at all!
    Its a focking disgrace that iPad 2 and iPhone 4 are still selling like hotcakes, while android honeytomb is nowhere near ass finished and useable.
    And that pisses me off.
    I want the ever-leading iPhone 5 NOW.
    Get off your lazy butt, meandroid!!!

cheers, Ben
    sent from my iPad 2 while receiving a call on iPhone 4

• http://Website Austin

I love how Apple fanboys like to cruise the Android news and forums! If you are so confident in your Apple product then why are you here?

• http://Website the helping hand

Ben Johnson, GA wrote

“Alright chumps….

And that pisses me off.
      I want the ever-leading iPhone 5 NOW.
      Get off your lazy butt, meandroid!!!

cheers, Ben
      sent from my iPad 2 while receiving a call on iPhone 4″

• http://Website the helping hand returns

Ben Johnson, GA wrote

“Alright chumps…..

And that pisses me off.
      I want the ever-leading iPhone 5 NOW.
      Get off your lazy butt, meandroid!!!

cheers, Ben
      sent from my iPad 2 while receiving a call on iPhone 4″

• http://Website Stella

Thank you, Pablo!

• http://Website the helping hand returns again

Ben Johnson, GA wrote

“Alright chumps……

And that pisses me off.
      I want the ever-leading iPhone 5 NOW.
      Get off your lazy butt, meandroid!!!

cheers, Ben
      sent from my iPad 2 while receiving a call on iPhone 4″

• http://mixal.net Mixal

really informative..

• http://tech2hack.co.cc Ankit Saini

Great to see that Mozilla is also improving there self for Android.., This will give an idea that Google Android has bright future..
    My Blog’s Recent Post Google Android Applications
    Thanks

• Ingor Bolski

I am very disappointed in Dolphin HD Browser. They came out with an add-on called Ulitimate Flag. This is supposed to behave similarly to Web of Trust, by indicating the reputation/warnings of that particular site.

It doesn’t. The only way to check a website’s reputation/warnings, is by entering that site. That completely defeats the purpose of playing it safe online and by the time you use Ultimate Flag, it may be too late because you’re already within the site in question.

I’ll keep my eyes on Firefox and hopefully they’ll incorporate Web of Trust for Android in the near future.

• Salim Sarkar

I agree 100/%

6. EricGuest 4 years ago

7. veesonicGuest 4 years ago

8. Ben Johnson, GAGuest 4 years ago

Alright chumps….

And that pisses me off.
    I want the ever-leading iPhone 5 NOW.
    Get off your lazy butt, meandroid!!!

cheers, Ben
    sent from my iPad 2 while receiving a call on iPhone 4

• AustinGuest 4 years ago

• the helping handGuest 4 years ago

Ben Johnson, GA wrote

“Alright chumps….

And that pisses me off.
      I want the ever-leading iPhone 5 NOW.
      Get off your lazy butt, meandroid!!!

cheers, Ben
      sent from my iPad 2 while receiving a call on iPhone 4″

• the helping hand returnsGuest 4 years ago

Ben Johnson, GA wrote

“Alright chumps…..

And that pisses me off.
      I want the ever-leading iPhone 5 NOW.
      Get off your lazy butt, meandroid!!!

cheers, Ben
      sent from my iPad 2 while receiving a call on iPhone 4″

• StellaGuest 4 years ago

Thank you, Pablo!

• the helping hand returns againGuest 4 years ago

Ben Johnson, GA wrote

“Alright chumps……

And that pisses me off.
      I want the ever-leading iPhone 5 NOW.
      Get off your lazy butt, meandroid!!!

cheers, Ben